Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Porsche Brembo 996 BBK Conversion-- let's figure out how to fix the dust boots/seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post

Sidenote for all, FCP now carries Girodisc rotors.
    👀👀👀

Here's the link to the E46 ones: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...irodisc-a1-012

Slightly awkward that you'd be exchanging the whole disc when you could theoretically just swap the rings.
    Last edited by Pklauser; 08-21-2024, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Good point on the rotor width - would be nice if it was possible to run 345x32 rotors with the Porsche calipers. I’ve been thinking about making the switch to Girodisc. I’m not tracking the car enough these days to justify buying from FCP at MAP and using their exchange program, so I’ll prob just wait for the next Girodisc sale and buy elsewhere.

TBH if lots of GT3 owners are tracking their cars with cracked boots, I’ll likely do the same until a definitive solution is found. Replacing the boots after every DE doesn’t sound fun lol.
      Silver Track to Street Car Journal
      Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

Originally posted by SQ13 View Post
        would be nice if it was possible to run 345x32 rotors with the Porsche calipers.
        I don't think it is. Pcar fronts are made for x28 stock Pcar discs (rears are made for x24, while we run them on x20, so don't let rear pads get too low ). While you can shave those pins/pad stoppers to fit a wider disc, you'd prob get rubbing as the middle part of the caliper is not wide enough. You are talking about tacking on 2mm on each end. I got so much radial expansion from the rotors that I got rubbing of the outer edge of the rotor on the caliper edges. Then also, to fit a wider rotor, since you are not widening the caliper, you'd need to shave 2mm off each pad (more if you want to run ti or other shims). Then you are losing heat capacity out of the box on the pad. I posted somewhere the size of the front Pcar pad is barely larger than stock M3 pad, so pads don't need any help getting overheated to start with.

Sent from my SM-S911U1 using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ13 View Post

TBH if lots of GT3 owners are tracking their cars with cracked boots, I’ll likely do the same until a definitive solution is found. Replacing the boots after every DE doesn’t sound fun lol.
          I wouldn't run any dust boots if I was tracking that much tbh - its a waste of money and since your inspecting/cleaning the brakes after each event, no reason to!

I ran the dust boots on my E46 with 18z and 996 C4S and E90 M3 Rotors with no issues however I was on Michelins so heat wasn't as much an issue.

What I really wanted was an AP BBK....

Mike
          High Temp Caliper Rebuild Kits For Brembo Calipers; Caliper Pistons
          www.ohioperformancesolutions.com
          2007 C4S F77 Aerokit / 2004 E46 M3 / 2018 M3 comp​

Comment

First ever track day. It seems I was not terribly hard on the brakes as my plain-Jane Centric dust boots held up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5313.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	276868

This is the fist time I have noticed that the pads are a bit too tall and extend just a bit above the top edge of the rotors. They do fit nicely at the bottom. Is this to be expected?
            Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Centric made the parts for stoptech and in 95% of the applications I recommended them. You have tons of pad which in itself is a nice thermal barrier. I would take out the pads, clean them up, and put them back in. But overall I wouldn't loose any sleep over that!

Mike
              High Temp Caliper Rebuild Kits For Brembo Calipers; Caliper Pistons
              www.ohioperformancesolutions.com
              2007 C4S F77 Aerokit / 2004 E46 M3 / 2018 M3 comp​

Comment

Originally posted by D-O View Post
                First ever track day. It seems I was not terribly hard on the brakes as my plain-Jane Centric dust boots held up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5313.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	276868

This is the fist time I have noticed that the pads are a bit too tall and extend just a bit above the top edge of the rotors. They do fit nicely at the bottom. Is this to be expected?
                What street pads were you running?

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

[QUOTE=D-O;n276867

This is the fist time I have noticed that the pads are a bit too tall and extend just a bit above the top edge of the rotors. They do fit nicely at the bottom. Is this to be expected?[/QUOTE]

Yes, once you get seriously moving and put enough heat in, the rings will expand radially and grind that off.

That said, at slower pace, you don't need to do anything with that edge, it will crumble away naturally, so you don't need to take anything out to clean.

Youtube DIYs and more

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
                    What street pads were you running?

Hawk ceramic. I am not crazy about them. At the time the car was my daily, and I bought them in the hope that they would be clean. They have not let me down on that.
                    Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Working...
                    X