No announcement yet.

Best Transmission Fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The new pentosin replacement for MTF 2 is FFL-4 DCT fluid. You can still order the original BMW MTF-LT2 for an arm and a leg or go with the new replacement which is MTF-LT3. There is also a MTF-LT5 which is oddly only recommended for 2011+ 6spd manuals... even though both E46 and E92 M3 6spds call for the same exact fluid.... basically a shit show at this point
    Last edited by Maxima SE; 06-09-2020, 02:50 PM.
    2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
    2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
    2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Thought I already addressed it, but might have been in another thread - that Febi stuff is conventional oil, not full synthetic.

you want the trifecta:
      • full synth
      • correct spec gl-4 (synchro safe)
      • correct weight 75w80 or something very close to match your climate/use
      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Maxima SE View Post
        The new pentosin replacement for MTF 2 is FFL-4 DCT fluid. You can still order the original BMW MTF-LT2 for an arm and a leg or go with the new replacement which is MTF-LT3. There is also a MTF-LT5 which is oddly only recommended for 2011+ 6spd manuals... even though both E46 and E92 M3 6spds call for the same exact fluid.... basically a shit show at this point
        BimmerWorld has LT-5 listed for 2011+ non-M models only, might not be as clear cut as just a year. I agree about it being a shit show though.

'03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by Maxima SE View Post
          The MTF 1...2...3...4...5...99 has been a long effort to increase MPGs through reduced "loss" from thinner fluid.

As much as I like giving BMW shit for having lost their way, their hand was certainly forced by the government(s) where the cars are sold. From design to engine choice to fluids, all being affected by safety or environmental policy.
          DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
          /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
          More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post

The MTF 1...2...3...4...5...99 has been a long effort to increase MPGs through reduced "loss" from thinner fluid.

As much as I like giving BMW shit for having lost their way, their hand was certainly forced by the government(s) where the cars are sold. From design to engine choice to fluids, all being affected by safety or environmental policy.
            Interesting, I didn't know that. I run the original MTF-LT2 in the E46 and the FFL-4 in the E92. hopefully the pentosin stuff is the same crap that comes in the BMW bottle .
            2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
            2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
            2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

OE bruh. Not the fluid's fault the Getrag shifts like shit. You can buy an SSK to fix that though. Not a BMW SSK (that doesn't count), get a real one.
              2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
              2005 BMW ///M3
              Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
              2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
              2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
              2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Circa Surviven View Post
                Hypothetically, If someone was trying to learn how to heel to toe, and grinded their gears missing a shift, does the transmission fluid need to be changed?
                One instance of grinding gears isn't a big deal at all. The gears are pretty hard and won't have released many (if at all) metal shavings during the grind. I wouldn't worry about it.
                2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Most of the metal shavings are the synchros.

Just a word of caution. If you put a GL5 lube in your transmission, it will die quickly. A GL5 lube contains friction modifiers which attack copper.

You’re synchros are copper. Unless you can perfectly rev match every shift...stick with a GL4.

Redline D4ATF is acceptable. The problem is you need to change it as often as your engine oil. If you want a long service interval, stick with OEM. I change mine every 6 months (track car) so I use Redline MT90 or MTL.

Comment

I'm with the others on using Pentosin. Especially on a street car.
                    6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

I use MT90 with my 11lb flywheel and it's super quiet. I'm also in FL where it's 80 degrees in the winter. It didn't add 50 hp but my transmission hasn't blown up yet. That's good enough for me.
                      This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                      https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Used genuine bmw transmission fluid sourced from ECS Tuning, Have about 3-4k miles since replacing the original transmission fluid. Did not notice a difference to be honest (not there was anything wrong with the previous trans fluid, I just did it as part of inspection 2 item checklist).

Comment

Originally posted by M3_CJ View Post
                          Used genuine bmw transmission fluid sourced from ECS Tuning, Have about 3-4k miles since replacing the original transmission fluid. Did not notice a difference to be honest (not there was anything wrong with the previous trans fluid, I just did it as part of inspection 2 item checklist).
                          I’ve always been of the opinion that, if you feel a difference when you change the fluid, you waited too long to change it.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                          2012 LMB/Black 128i
                          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Very interesting tread. In the Z4M community many like the RP and Redline ATF. Now I realize I may not have what is ideal and now want to change to OE! Damn there is always something LOL

Comment

when ordering do you need 2L or 3L?

edit. Fill capacity is 1.8 liters according to the manual. For future reference.

Just ordered the OE mtf-lt2 fluid from ecs. BTW the price with shipping on getbmwparts is the same even though the unit price is 10 dollars cheaper.
                              Last edited by sev; 07-12-2020, 08:40 AM.

Comment

oh man i just dumped out the synchromax and put the OE MTF in. What a difference. Gears engage so much smoother even when cold. I no longer feel like I have to force it in and the feel is much improved.

Comment

Working...
                                X