Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ordering M3 Parts: How Is It That ECS Stays In Business ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never had any real issues with ECS and or FCP and even if i did it was so minor and they fixed it immediately without question.

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

FCP has impeccable customer service, everything I order arrives overnight with free shipping, and the lifetime warranty means I haven’t paid for oil/brakes/etc (even track pads) in years. I can’t think of anything more I could possibly want from a parts seller.
      Can't say that FCP has impeccable customer service. I ordered some rotors and then decided to cancel them two hours later. At that point they were not shipped. I tried to contact them but to no avail. Sent them emails and then towards the end of the day it was shipped by them. At the end of the day I received a reply that it was shipped and to receive a refund I would have to ship it back first.
      2002 M3 Carbon Schwarz/Black 6MT

Comment

I think we can all sum this up and move on:

1. ECS and FCP are necessary. We want both as competition keeps things competitive with respect to pricing, etc.
        2. Neither is anywhere close to perfect. Appears as though FCP is a bit better with respect to service. (personally I don't have big issues with either).
        3. If ECS/FCP shipped parts with the correct address label then it isn't the shippers fault your package didn't arrive. Good luck holding corporate behemoths UPS or FedEx feet to the fire.
        4. Shipping times are directly related to where you live, not because of "better" service.
        3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post
          I think we can all sum this up and move on:

1. ECS and FCP are necessary. We want both as competition keeps things competitive with respect to pricing, etc.
          2. Neither is anywhere close to perfect. Appears as though FCP is a bit better with respect to service. (personally I don't have big issues with either).
          3. If ECS/FCP shipped parts with the correct address label then it isn't the shippers fault your package didn't arrive. Good luck holding corporate behemoths UPS or FedEx feet to the fire.
          4. Shipping times are directly related to where you live, not because of "better" service.
          regarding 4-- there's how fast it leaves the parts seller, and there's how long it takes to arrive. How quickly they ship is a bit of better service.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i
          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

regarding 4-- there's how fast it leaves the parts seller, and there's how long it takes to arrive. How quickly they ship is a bit of better service.
            This has not been my experience. Here is my last order from FCP for over $1700. All parts listed as in stock at the time I ordered and the free option selected for shipping:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ordered.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	235196
            Click image for larger version

Name:	shipped.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	235197
            Last edited by oceansize; 09-25-2023, 04:54 AM.
            3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

For me, both are good but not great. What I have seen in particular is sometimes the FCP prices are higher than the OEM, which is a bit of a head scratcher. oceansize this is particularly true with Benz parts. So before you just click on FCP be sure to check the MB Parts website.

maw

Comment

Recently warned a friend not to order parts from ECS. He ordered for 997 GT3. They send him plugs and coils for a base 997. It's a complete different engine so nothing fit. The oil change kit didn't have washers in it and was a quart short. He learned the hard way.
                This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
                https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post
                  For me, both are good but not great. What I have seen in particular is sometimes the FCP prices are higher than the OEM, which is a bit of a head scratcher. oceansize this is particularly true with Benz parts. So before you just click on FCP be sure to check the MB Parts website.

maw
                  Good call. That order was entirely MB parts for the w204 AMG.

Comment

somebody from m3forum made an app or something that let you enter a desired order, and it would aggregate the price total with shipping from all the popular bmw parts vendors at the same time. it was like priceline for bmw parts.

wonder if it's still around?

Comment

I'd check to see if there is a WorldPac distribution center in your area. If there is then you can probably get almost any aftermarket part same day or in 1-2 days. I'm pretty sure ECS and FCP drop ships a lot of their aftermarket stuff.

Then a lot of dealers sell parts out the back door via website sales. In most cases it cheaper than what employees can get the parts for. Most places mark up the parts 5%-10% vs about +50% for matrixed pricing. Matrix pricing = retail price + anal fisting. Lube is extra. They might not sell in the area (to maintain pricing power) but if you're relatively close then you can get the part quick. Dealers will do this to turn their inventory so they can carry more parts which reduces the times that cars sit in service waiting for parts which increases throughput and adds to the bottom line. Its actually one of the few smart things that dumbass dealerships do.

Comment

Worldpac is wholesale only and MUCH more expensive than ECS/FCP on aftermarket parts, they do well with OE pricing compared to my wholesale BMW prices.

They both have positive and negative attributes. I have found that ECS is more apt to make an effort to get a hard to find part even if it takes awhile. I have a group of wholesale reps with ECS and they are all standup, I wish consumers had access to that service like I do, I think there reputation would be much better.

FCP fumbles on shipping times quite often. I would bet in the last 1.5 years (maybe more) that they've refunded me 25% of my shipping costs for missing dates. Their customer service is great for that, I message them and as for a refund and get it quickly, lol. But I'd rather just have my parts when spec'd.

Use whoever makes you the most comfortable, but if you buy enough parts you'll have a bad experience with anyone eventually I imagine.

*I just checked, 58 orders with ECS and 84 with FCP in the last 4.5yrs.
                        '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
                        Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
                        Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Individual parts managers set pricing levels at dealerships.

While we're on this topic, I've seen dealers set price factor at over 2x bmw list in the past. List is actually very reasonable and typically wholesale accounts get a percentage off of that.

Re: merc parts from Keyes in Van Nuys are anywhere from 10-20% off of list and cheaper than fcp/autohaus.

Personally I find no reason to buy from fcp. Processing time is too long, they're on the wrong coast, prices too high, warranty useless to me, etc. I do like their website and the one time I reached out for information they were helpful.​
                          2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

I bought a genuine euro bumper from them a couple months ago and they shipped me a taiwanese replica that they dont even stock. Likely this was a fradulent return that wasnt inspected properly and then resold- which i can understand. What i couldnt understand, however, is that they would not let me return it because it was already painted.
                            2002 TiAg M3 Coupe (SMG to 6spd), 2003 Jet Black M5

https://www.instagram.com/individual_throttle_buddies/

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
                              I've seen dealers set price factor at over 2x bmw list in the past.

Concord BMW, those fucks.

I needed a hose for my X5, it was $60 everywhere but I wanted it that day and didn't want to wait.... $120 at the dealer.

I ended up bro-ing out with the parts dude, and he knocked it down to $60 again, but those guys are crooks I tell ya.
                              2004 Dinan S3-R M3
                              2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

After reading all these comments I wanted to say that I have ordered from both ECS and FCP among other companies as I'm sure most of you have. I would like to share that my past couple of orders have been through https://www.schmiedmann.com/ which I'm very happy with. I find their pricing on most parts to be the least expensive - but not all - but if you have cart with multiple parts and when you include shipping, taxes, etc. I have found that Schmiedmann is the least expensive. And regarding their shipping - yes, it's true they are not in the continental US, but I've received my parts usually quicker than I have with both ECS and FCP and I'm on the East coast. Just my $0.02 I felt like sharing.

Comment

Working...
                                X