Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M3 Stablemates: What else do you have in the garage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by racee78 View Post

Next on my list to join is an E92 M3.. still searching for a good one though that isn't white.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They're pretty good. Honestly I like the E46 a lot more, the E9x trades some soul and rawness for more performance. I might sell the E90 soon which is a shame because I love the spec (Melbourne, 6MT, slicktop, 2011) but I have a lot of other cars that do the same thing but better (E46 M3, E39 M5, E60 M5) and others that make daily driving the E90 M3 pointless (E90 335d).

I guess that's the downside of being a jack of all trades. It's an incredibly competent car, and might be the ideal M3 for a lot of people.
    Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

E90 wipes the floor with E46.
      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

According to fastestlaps.com,

M3 CSL nurburgiring lap time is 7:50

M3 GTS is 7:48

E92 doesn't exactly wipe the floor with the E46, in fact, that is not much of an improvement given the 7 year difference between the cars. And the E92 has a stripped interior with cage, BBK and more modern track day tires.

F82 M4 GTS is a 7:27. It's a significantly faster pig than the E9X lol

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
          According to fastestlaps.com,

M3 CSL nurburgiring lap time is 7:50

M3 GTS is 7:48

E92 doesn't exactly wipe the floor with the E46, in fact, that is not much of an improvement given the 7 year difference between the cars. And the E92 has a stripped interior with cage, BBK and more modern track day tires.

F82 M4 GTS is a 7:27. It's a significantly faster pig than the E9X lol
          I think this is the issue. Since the stock e90 is a little numb feeling compared to the e46 I’d rather own the current gen M3 (ugly or not) and destroy the e90 in every possible way. It’s an NA V8 so I do understand dissenting opinion.
          Last edited by oceansize; 10-12-2023, 01:04 PM.
          3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Ah yes, the guy who owns both is wrong & the nerds who look at some arbitrary lap time know better. Case closed.
            DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
            /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
            More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
              Ah yes, the guy who owns both is wrong & the nerds who look at some arbitrary lap time know better. Case closed.
              Welcome to the internet, or modern day M3forum's.

Comment

Certainly not in aesthetics
                2004 Dinan S3-R M3
                2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

987 Cayman R

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20231008_154226-01.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	237922
                  Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by 9kracing View Post
                    Certainly not in aesthetics
                    Agreed. I saw a silver coupe in the wild today and was reminded of how much presence the car has. I barely notice E9XM cars, unless it’s that Silverstone color.

maw

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post
                      987 Cayman R

Tell me more about your driving impressions of the Cayman R versus the e46 M3 please. It’s an attainable car for me, and to be honest, a more attractive package than a gt3 which also only has two seats but is a bigger car.

Comment

Originally posted by nyc951 View Post
                        Tell me more about your driving impressions of the Cayman R versus the e46 M3 please. It’s an attainable car for me, and to be honest, a more attractive package than a gt3 which also only has two seats but is a bigger car.
                        So as not to muddy-up this thread too much, I posted some impressions here and here in my build thread.

TLDR: I absolutely love the Cayman R and it's a different enough experience from the M3. Mine came with $33k+ in bolt-on parts plus engine tuning (parts that I valued - like adjustable suspension arms, AP Racing BBK, intake, exhaust, etc.) so it might not be a perfectly fair comparison to a stock Cayman R. But in some regard I think a stock Cayman R for the street would be even better than mine. They are wonderfully minimal cars and very driver focused. I wanted to stay under $100k. The Cayman R market is about 1.5x to 2x an equivalent 987.2 Cayman S. But the Rs are among rarest P-car with less than 500 in the US (likely less now due to several that are wrecked). IMO, I think now is the time to buy one of these with the overall dip in the market and the age of these cars (11 years). I think these will start to rise as new people discover them.

Comment

I came here to look at your Cayman R, but gotta say I love the Ridgebacks. We were strongly considering them but couldn’t commit given we couldn’t carve the time to give them the exercise they need on the daily.

Comment

Originally posted by nyc951 View Post
                            I came here to look at your Cayman R, but gotta say I love the Ridgebacks. We were strongly considering them but couldn’t commit given we couldn’t carve the time to give them the exercise they need on the daily.
                            I think you may have meant to post this in my build thread... but thanks man!

We live on a farm and take them for long walks/hikes daily (1 to 3 miles, hills, woods, etc.). They are off leash and pretty much tire themselves out playing. Then the sleep like hound dogs the rest of the day. For our lifestyle, these dogs are the perfect breed.

Comment

I’ve owned 5 E9x M3s, on my 4th E46 M3 … and can confidently agree.

On stock suspension E9x’s feel numb and not very confidence inspiring, a good suspension setup completely changes that. JRZ RS Pros, solid subframe bushings plus a StopTech bbk and the car could confidently keep up with just about anything at Buttonwillow & Willowsprings.

That said, E46 is barnone more rewarding to push hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post
                                987 Cayman R

Ah nice! You got that one. I lobbied a few friends to pick it up as it looked like a fantastic build. The Cayman R is a diamond in the rough. Often overlooked in favor of the “other” GT cars, but it shouldn’t be.

Comment

Working...
                                X