Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M3 Stablemates: What else do you have in the garage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cornerbalanced View Post

I’ve owned 5 E9x M3s, on my 4th E46 M3 … and can confidently agree.

On stock suspension E9x’s feel numb and not very confidence inspiring, a good suspension setup completely changes that. JRZ RS Pros, solid subframe bushings plus a StopTech bbk and the car could confidently keep up with just about anything at Buttonwillow & Willowsprings.

That said, E46 is barnone more rewarding to push hard.
    Completely agree with this and Tbonem3.

I had an e92 zcp with all the bolt-ons: Ohlins, Akra Evo, BMW Performance Seats, ST60/ST40, etc etc. Photos attached.

If the cars are stock, e46.

If modded, e9x without question.

While the e46 has more personality, soul and character, the e9x is just in a different league when it’s setup properly.

Fun story: I took all the mods off my e92 to list it for sale and laughed driving home from the shop. It was hard to believe that it was the same car.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2937.jpg Views:	4 Size:	51.7 KB ID:	238054

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_8697.jpg Views:	0 Size:	149.4 KB ID:	238053
    Last edited by LSB4Me; 10-15-2023, 12:20 AM.

Comment

I have an '04 M3 and '12 X5 (daily/family car).
      Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	365
Size:	923.8 KB
ID:	238082

About a year ago I regrettably sold my other two favorite cars, a '74 Alfa Romeo GTV and a '95 Nissan 300zx TT. They were fun to drive, but as I started having less time on car stuff. When I can go for a drive, I almost always go with the M3. In my experience driving other cars, it's the best all around car for the street and track. It's not too fast for the street to need to do anything crazy and fast enough on the track to put down reasonable lap times.

Views:	366
Size:	893.7 KB
ID:	238080

Views:	356
Size:	916.4 KB
ID:	238081

Comment

Name:	20220821_070420-01.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	238084

Doesn't get parked in the garage but thisbis my autocross beater

Comment

Originally posted by Actuary View Post
          I have an '04 M3 and '12 X5 (daily/family car).

Views:	365
Size:	923.8 KB
ID:	238082

About a year ago I regrettably sold my other two favorite cars, a '74 Alfa Romeo GTV and a '95 Nissan 300zx TT. They were fun to drive, but as I started having less time on car stuff. When I can go for a drive, I almost always go with the M3. In my experience driving other cars, it's the best all around car for the street and track. It's not too fast for the street to need to do anything crazy and fast enough on the track to put down reasonable lap times.

Views:	366
Size:	893.7 KB
ID:	238080

Views:	356
Size:	916.4 KB
ID:	238081
          I’ve never driven a 74 GTV but it has been a long dream car of mine. I would however likely opt in for this, had money been no issue of course: https://youtu.be/-klVh82SeR0?si=OgjaoNPPVmB59NH7

Can you elaborate on driving impressions?
          Just some old shitty cars.

Comment

Originally posted by 02_lsb View Post

I’ve never driven a 74 GTV but it has been a long dream car of mine. I would however likely opt in for this, had money been no issue of course: https://youtu.be/-klVh82SeR0?si=OgjaoNPPVmB59NH7

Can you elaborate on driving impressions?
            It drives great. Brakes are not bad, the engine is very lively with great racing sound (very similar to a 190e cosworth, but not as powerful just had a similar sound and rev build up), the gearbox and clutch was amazingly smooth with the right throw, the steering/turn-in is very much old school with a heavy but silky feel. Driving it around 40-60 mph in windy roads makes you appreciate the fun of driving. You feel, hear and really smell everything.

Comment

Originally posted by LSB4Me View Post

Ah nice! You got that one. I lobbied a few friends to pick it up as it looked like a fantastic build. The Cayman R is a diamond in the rough. Often overlooked in favor of the “other” GT cars, but it shouldn’t be.
              Yeah, I stared at the car for months online and couldn't believe no one was buying it. I finally called on it and after I found out all the parts it had on it, the car's history, etc., I jumped on it.

Funny - I've had a few people say that they were watching that car and considering buying it.
              Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

We have a plain vanilla Model 3 and my F900R.

Name:	IMG_4617.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	238105

Name:	IMG_3957.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	238106

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post

Yeah, I stared at the car for months online and couldn't believe no one was buying it. I finally called on it and after I found out all the parts it had on it, the car's history, etc., I jumped on it.

Funny - I've had a few people say that they were watching that car and considering buying it.
                  That’s awesome. I’m glad you grabbed it. People overlook the Cayman R and they really shouldn’t. I consider it a mini-997 GT3. In some ways, that makes it better. Enjoy it.

For those interested, there’s another Cayman R (on e88s) for sale on Rennlist with a huge mod list. The guy has receipts for 100k in parts/work . . . and is only looking for 90k for the car including the aforementioned parts/work. Porsche people, am I right?

Comment

Thanks man! I appreciate that and most certainly will!

I know of the car that Cayman R that's for sale: https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1365908

If anyone is interested in a pretty stellar build, check out the dude's build thread. Pretty epic.

I prefer the look of the non-GT3 converted front nosed Caymans (a Cayman is a Cayman, not a 911...), but this conversion is certainly done really, really well.

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post
                      Thanks man! I appreciate that and most certainly will!

I know of the car that Cayman R that's for sale: https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1365908

If anyone is interested in a pretty stellar build, check out the dude's build thread. Pretty epic.

I prefer the look of the non-GT3 converted front nosed Caymans (a Cayman is a Cayman, not a 911...), but this conversion is certainly done really, really well.
                      Man, that is a crazy build but that is definitely geared towards a small percentage of the already small percentage of car enthusiasts. I've never been involved in the Porsche scene, is that type of conversion actually something that would be coveted?
                      3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

I had an f10 535d as a daily, it was getting to that age where annoying and expensive things were starting to need to be replaced so I sold it and bought a Hyundai i30n Sedan (Elantra N to you guys in the states)

Click image for larger version  Name:	367716026_18377748811039544_6405424722556689655_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	138.2 KB ID:	238138

It actually has more rear leg room than the 5 series did lol. As a daily it's comfortable and fairly inexpensive to run, great warranty and capped price servicing. When you hit the N button everything gets firmer and louder in a good way that makes me grin from ear to ear, and it has a red button on the steering wheel which my kids think is the coolest thing ever. It handles really really well, and it's got a fair bit of poke. The DCT is really good too. I love it. TBH the only reason i still have the M3 is I consider it a classic, and on those rare occasions i take it out - I still enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post

Man, that is a crazy build but that is definitely geared towards a small percentage of the already small percentage of car enthusiasts. I've never been involved in the Porsche scene, is that type of conversion actually something that would be coveted?
                          Me neither! Ha! P car ownership is still new to me.

People put the GT4 nose on the earlier 987 Caymans sorta regularly. Same with the GT3 nose. With a more common Cayman it works. For an R, coveted might be a strong word in this case with so few Rs in existence.

To this layman, it's akin to putting a different nose on a M3 CSL... from another model within BMWs lineup. They are quite rare, already look fantastic, so.... why? Granted, this does work a bit better with Porsches because they all look alike, lol.

But whatever. I'm the guy that repainted my car and made it look like a CSL so "hello pot, I'm kettle."

Comment

Some more Porsche content... At Watkins Glen a few weeks ago Click image for larger version

Name:	WGI-23-3974.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	238159

Going side by side with one of my friends last year, my car is a re-creation but his is a real DTM build he restored to as-raced condition

Name:	TB2022-3969.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	238160

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post

I wouldn’t say coveted, but definitely respected.

Porsche guys in my neck of the woods champion the saying: “It’s only original once.” Put simply, originality is highly favored. However, there has been a recent phenomenon in which highly modified cars trade at ultra premiums. I consider this the Singer Effect.

This level build on a first gen GT4 would have likely sold very quickly and for big dollars. The R is really just underappreciated at the moment. My guess is that things will come full circle in the future for one reason: hydraulic steering. The first gen GT4 has the first gen electronic steering and it’s a bummer. Probably best in class, but still not a hydraulic rack.

Comment

Got the new whip today! I know yellow isn’t for everyone, but I love it so much.

Name:	IMG_7049.jpg
Views:	632
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	238599

Name:	IMG_7050.jpg
Views:	654
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	238598 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7043.jpg
Views:	641