Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OE Front Bumper without freight shipping charge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ATB88 View Post
    Thanks for the discussion everyone. In the end, I opted to just get my old beat up bumper repaired and painted. It was just scraped up so it should come out looking great.

For those who are in my situation in the future -- the cheapest price I found for a new OE bumper shipped to me in LA was at 415's suggestion of bmwpartswarehouse.com: total price of about ~$840 ($630 for the bumper and $210 shipping).

In general, though, the move seems to be to hope that you can find one of these online parts retailers whose actual dealership that they're based on is close enough to you that you can do a local pickup.
    Curious to see pics of condition before and after! I've considered going this route given that scrapes and chips are near impossible to avoid in LA. Makes the all-in cost of a new bumper hard to justify for a daily, that's Karb airbox territory for something that will end up damaged again sooner rather than later.
    '04 LSB Coupe 6MT
    All my money goes towards maintenance.

Comment

Originally posted by dukeofchen View Post

Curious to see pics of condition before and after! I've considered going this route given that scrapes and chips are near impossible to avoid in LA. Makes the all-in cost of a new bumper hard to justify for a daily, that's Karb airbox territory for something that will end up damaged again sooner rather than later.
      Totally. I liked the idea of just getting a new bumper for overall freshness, but at these prices it doesn't really feel like it makes sense anymore unless your current bumper is cracked/unrepairable. Will have pics in a few weeks!

Comment

Originally posted by R1pilot View Post
        BTW, what the difference between the US and euro bumpers? Lack of side marker lights?
        Technically, just the front reflector delete. A lot of people just end up painting theirs, but There is no other difference. If you have major sand blasting, probably worth it to go with the Euro bumper (comes primed from the factory) and PPF it. I did it and didn't look back.​ Blast from the past - here's my receipt from 2010 - only $323

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-10-17 at 6.17.17 PM.png
Views:	272
Size:	294.7 KB
ID:	238368
        Original Owner - 2003 ///M3 - 6MT/LSB/Impuls/Anthracite
        M3Forum.net member since Dec 2002

Official CPV O-RingOil Leak Fix:
        https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...pressure-valve

Comment

I don't think I ever bought a primed euro but I did pick up a couple of prepainted ones and I seem to recall having paid around 5-600.
          2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

OE euro bumper at my local stealer was $1K so YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by ATB88 View Post

Yeah, that's the only difference as far as I know. I honestly personally like the contrast of the orange side markers against carbon black paint, but I think I'm weird and in the minority on that
              There was a time in my life when I was active duty and stationed in Europe with my E46 M3. Almost everyone I met in Europe preferred the US variant of the bumper to the Euro version. I thought that was a funny data point.

Comment

Doesn't ECS have this bumper for $700ish?

That's where I got mine. They were selling them on Ebay last year.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ECS EURO BUMPER.png
Views:	244
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	238684
                2004 Dinan S3-R M3
                2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

Originally posted by 9kracing View Post
                  Doesn't ECS have this bumper for $700ish?

That's where I got mine. They were selling them on Ebay last year.

Click image for larger version  Name:	ECS EURO BUMPER.png Views:	0 Size:	5.9 KB ID:	238684
                  they quoted me ~$300 shipping :/ is this a recent screenshot? I'm guessing that they probably recently had a policy shift where free shipping doesn't apply to large freight items.

EDIT: indeed, from their shipping policy "Items marked as 'Free Shipping' may qualify for free standard economy ground shipping to the contiguous United States (48 states). Oversized products and direct ship products are excluded from this offer unless otherwise noted."
                  Last edited by ATB88; 10-19-2023, 02:44 PM.

Comment

That was last year.

$300 shipping seems absurd, it came UPS like any other largish box. I doubt it costs them that much to ship it, maybe try emailing them. See if they can get you a better shipping quote.
                    2004 Dinan S3-R M3
                    2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

Originally posted by 9kracing View Post
                      That was last year.

$300 shipping seems absurd, it came UPS like any other largish box. I doubt it costs them that much to ship it, maybe try emailing them. See if they can get you a better shipping quote.
                      At this point, I've already had my old bumper repaired and repainted. But for kicks I went and asked ECS and got back

"I don't see any recent orders in your account's or the part's history where it has shipped for free, most of our freight prices are well below our cost to be honest"

so, RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayan-Viking View Post

There was a time in my life when I was active duty and stationed in Europe with my E46 M3. Almost everyone I met in Europe preferred the US variant of the bumper to the Euro version. I thought that was a funny data point.
                        That's wild, everything us spec looks worse.
                        2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post

Came here to say the say thing and then I noticed you already did.
                          Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post

I don't disagree. Maybe it's a want what you can't have or bling thing...

The funny thing is EU (UK specifically) auto regs are significantly more harsh/stringent than US regs. So how it is that they didn't need the reflector but we did? Been ponderin' that one for some time...

Comment

I don't disagree. Maybe it's a want what you can't have or bling thing...

The funny thing is EU (UK specifically) auto regs are significantly more harsh/stringent than US regs. So how it is that they didn't need the reflector but we did? Been ponderin' that one for some time...
                              It's because DOT is garbage. That's the reason why they have superior mirrors and lighting as well.

If it's EU approved, it should by default be good enough for the US.

Comment

Wholesale price for post-facelift bumper cover is $814 in CT from a BMW dealer.

Comment

Working...
                                X