Fitting 18x10.5+22 squared on E46 M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cornerbalanced View Post

Really?? I've easily fit 18x10+25 265 squared with stock suspension & alignment on a previous E46 before doing coilovers.
    Pics of this setup?

I briefly put on my 18x10ET25 track wheels, I have Eibach springs which are barely lower than stock, and I have stock alignment. The wheels stick out a ridiculous amount and they would DEFINITELY hit the fender under compression
    http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
    '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
    '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Gearhead55 View Post
      I am running -3.8* front and -2.5* rear camber.
      Do you run so much front camber because that's where the tire wears best, or to fit them under the fender, or both?

I haven't tried Nankangs yet, but I hear a lot of great things about Nankangs around the paddock. Even diehards who have been on "ancient" NT01s for forever now swear by AR1s. I hear people have to change their setups to accommodate Nankangs as they like less camber, so I see folks backing off to closer to 3 degrees, that's why I ask about your 3.8. CRS seem to be a bit softer vs AR1, and seem to be on par with RT660/RE71RS/A052 but take heat a bit better for heavier cars over 3k lbs.

Sent from my SM-S911U1 using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post

Do you run so much front camber because that's where the tire wears best, or to fit them under the fender, or both?

I haven't tried Nankangs yet, but I hear a lot of great things about Nankangs around the paddock. Even diehards who have been on "ancient" NT01s for forever now swear by AR1s. I hear people have to change their setups to accommodate Nankangs as they like less camber, so I see folks backing off to closer to 3 degrees, that's why I ask about your 3.8. CRS seem to be a bit softer vs AR1, and seem to be on par with RT660/RE71RS/A052 but take heat a bit better for heavier cars over 3k lbs.

The suspension is set up 100% for optimum grip and tire wear on track. I've had to increase the negative camber up front as I've gotten faster and moved to stickier tires.

My car is still full weight and the CR-S definitely manages the heat better than the AO52. The AO52 may but just a touch faster for one hot lap but the CR-S maintains better throughout the session. Both are better than the RT660 grip wise, but the RT660 lasted longer for me. The CR-S likes low tire pressures, like 29 lbs hot. At least at Buttonwillow I'm getting even wear at -3.8* degrees, but I'm not using a pyrometer to check tire temps or anything. I haven't tried the RE71RS yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearhead55 View Post

For what application and which Michelin? If someone is using a PS4S or Cup 2 over a CR-S on the track simply because one is a Michelin and one is an Nankang then yes, they are a dumbass. The CR-S is a better track tire. If you want to use a PS4S as a street tire go ahead, you'll get longer life but you'll be sacrificing overall grip. Tire choice is completely dependent on the use case. People scoffing at Nankang because it's a smaller company is stupid.

I run PS4S on my X3M because it's a daily and that's a good street tire, but I'm not married to the brand just because other people use it. If someone makes a better street tire in the sizes I need I'd happily switch it up.
          I was referring to an obvious like for like comparison. There was only one person in this thread disparaging a tire based on brand alone.

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post

Pics of this setup?

I briefly put on my 18x10ET25 track wheels, I have Eibach springs which are barely lower than stock, and I have stock alignment. The wheels stick out a ridiculous amount and they would DEFINITELY hit the fender under compression
          You have to perform all the gymnastics to make it function and fit properly (if you can call it that).
          2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Yea I’m mostly just curious to see it, I like how track setups look and work. But that’s always lowered a fair bit and with more camber than you can get with stock hardware. Maybe if you move the top mounts around you can get a bunch of camber, enough to clear the fenders, but without the low ride height, I dunno, that’s why I want to see it lol.
            '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post

I still run NT01s 10 years later for 2 reasons - cost and consistency. I've gone back and forth between the Toyo RR and NT01...pretty much the same tire except the RR gets about 4-8 heat cycles that are about 1 second per lap faster and then gradually falls off. I run -4.0 camber up front and -3.0 in the back.

Comment

Pics of this setup?

I'll see if I have some. A buddy of mine currently has 10.5"+25 squared Titan7s installed on his E46, 275 squared, bone stock suspension. It looks absolutely awful, the wheels stick out a dramatic amount, but he's able to drive on the setup just fine until his TCKs arrive. I'll grab pics of this too. Ideally if you're running 18x10+25 squared you'd have coilovers.

Edit:

Here's a picture of 18x10.5+25, with 275/35 squared R7 R-Compounds on an otherwise stock car. Like I mentioned, doesn't look great, ideally it would be lowered with a bit more negative camber, but it works until he receives his coilovers. I'd say ditch those Eibach springs and purchase coilovers asap if you intend on tracking and running a more aggressive wheel setup.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by cornerbalanced; 10-12-2023, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post

You have to perform all the gymnastics to make it function and fit properly (if you can call it that).
                  What lol? For 18x10+25 squared? This is hardly an aggressive setup.

Comment

Up front, with appropriately sized tires, it is.
                    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

People have been running 18x10 +25 with 265/35 square since the beginning of recorded history with no problems. That's the most basic, cookie-cutter track size you can run. You just need some negative camber dialed in up front, which you need to do for these things to perform as they should anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                        Up front, with appropriately sized tires, it is.
                        I come from an extremely track focused / “hard canyon driving” background so I’m definitely jaded. If you’re set on keeping stock suspension and stock alignment settings it’s absolutely aggressive. For anyone willing to run a couple negative degrees of camber up front it shouldn’t be aggressive at all with a 255/265 tire.

Comment

Originally posted by cornerbalanced View Post

I'll see if I have some. A buddy of mine currently has 10.5"+25 squared Titan7s installed on his E46, 275 squared, bone stock suspension. It looks absolutely awful, the wheels stick out a dramatic amount, but he's able to drive on the setup just fine until his TCKs arrive. I'll grab pics of this too. Ideally if you're running 18x10+25 squared you'd have coilovers.

Edit:

Here's a picture of 18x10.5+25, with 275/35 squared R7 R-Compounds on an otherwise stock car. Like I mentioned, doesn't look great, ideally it would be lowered with a bit more negative camber, but it works until he receives his coilovers. I'd say ditch those Eibach springs and purchase coilovers asap if you intend on tracking and running a more aggressive wheel setup.
                          I mean, do those honestly not touch the fenders under compression?

This is a basic outline of my build plans:

Long post warning! Hey everyone, I’m getting ready to start a long overdue refresh and upgrade on my car. I have been thinking and overthinking this for a while, to the point where my brain is kind of at max capacity LOL so I would like to get your opinions and feedback on the stuff I’ve selected. Also, it would be great to
                          '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

I mean, do those honestly not touch the fenders under compression?

This is a basic outline of my build plans:

https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...y-life-choices
                            Outline looks great.

And not thus far, he's done mostly street driving with some light canyon stuff. Of course I would never track on a setup like that, but it works until he's able to install coilovers.

Comment

Pics of this setup?

I found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXFQLVQTyj8

I guess technically they do fit but it does look a little weird being so high up

Comment

There's an odd prevalence of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas references here. Great book and movie. Sorry, I have nothing to add relevant to the thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X