Questions About Recaro Sportster CS Seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions About Recaro Sportster CS Seats

Hey! I'm about to buy a set of Recaro Sportster CS seat and wanted to know if you could answer a few quick questions for me.

1) Are these the right part numbers for the seat for the e46 M3? 411. 10. 1785 and 411. 10. 2785 (Black Leather, Heated)
    2) Do all variations of the Sportster CS fit in the e46 M3?
    3) These have airbags built in to the side, never seen them on other e46 M3s. Any issues with that?
    4) I assume the seats are all standard then mounting brackets are different to fit the e46 M3.

Thanks in advance for the help!
    2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Follow up question and related. Is it possible to wire up the heating function to the factory heated seat buttons with the 3 settings?

Comment

1. no idea.
      2. yes
      3. Yes-- unlike many other cars, the e46's side airbags are built into the doors (not the seats). Double side impact airbags is not a recipe for success. You could not hook them up, but then you're just paying extra for extra weight. I'd buy a set without them.
      4. Yes. Brey Krause makes mounts for them that attach them to the factory e46 power or manual sliders.
      https://www.ecstuning.com/b-brey_krause-parts/driver-mount-for-e46-e85-e86/r-9246~brk/
      https://www.ecstuning.com/b-brey_krause-parts/passenger-mount-for-e46-e85-e86-/r-9247~brk/

Follow up question: no, not with recaro's seat heating pads. To do that, I used BMW's seat heater pads, with their integrated thermistors.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
        1. no idea.
        2. yes
        3. Yes-- unlike many other cars, the e46's side airbags are built into the doors (not the seats). Double side impact airbags is not a recipe for success. You could not hook them up, but then you're just paying extra for extra weight. I'd buy a set without them.
        4. Yes. Brey Krause makes mounts for them that attach them to the factory e46 power or manual sliders.
        https://www.ecstuning.com/b-brey_krause-parts/driver-mount-for-e46-e85-e86/r-9246~brk/
        https://www.ecstuning.com/b-brey_krause-parts/passenger-mount-for-e46-e85-e86-/r-9247~brk/

Follow up question: no, not with recaro's seat heating pads. To do that, I used BMW's seat heater pads, with their integrated thermistors.
        Thanks for the info! I’m going to find a set without airbags.

I’m assuming these Brey Krause mounts are preferred over the Recaro sliders due to the addition of height and tilt functions? They don’t seem that heavy at 3lbs each.

I have ZCP manual seats right now. Not sure exactly which parts need to be reused? The sliders that bolt to the floor of the car?
        2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Originally posted by duracellttu View Post

Thanks for the info! I’m going to find a set without airbags.

I’m assuming these Brey Krause mounts are preferred over the Recaro sliders due to the addition of height and tilt functions? They don’t seem that heavy at 3lbs each.

I have ZCP manual seats right now. Not sure exactly which parts need to be reused? The sliders that bolt to the floor of the car?
          I've never taken a set of CSs apart, so I don't know how feasible it is. but if it is possible, might be better to get a set without seat heater pads and install BMW seat heater pads instead.

The Recaro sliders need some sort of adapter to bolt to the floor, and a seat belt mounting solution-- the net result is heavier, higher, and more expensive than BK mounts + OE sliders.

The OE sliders also have ~double the travel of Recaro sliders, so back seat access is easier. The Recaro sliders can get noisy over time, which isn't great. And, the OE sliders are designed to have the belts mounted above them (unlike the Recaro sliders), so the seat belts stay properly located to the seat, regardless of slider position (unlike with the recaro sliders, which aren't strong enough to take the seat belt load in a crash).

If you have manual factory sliders, you'll also need BK's slider release handles.

Yeah, just the sliders are reused. The install process is seen here:
          http://qnuwm.rpstd.servertrust.com/v...ions/R9246.pdf

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

I think pb_e46 on Instagram re-covered his recaros himself. He might be a good person to reach out to for info on this. I don’t know if he used the heating pads.
            2005 ///M3 6MT Coupe Imola/M-Texture

Build Thread

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Inizes View Post
              I think pb_e46 on Instagram re-covered his recaros himself. He might be a good person to reach out to for info on this. I don’t know if he used the heating pads.
              His seats were reupholstered by AMX Performance.
              Current: 2003.5 E46 ///M3 6MT - 2019 Ford Raptor 802A
              Past: 2015 F80 ///M3 6MT - 2006 E46 ///M3 6MT - 1999 E36 ///M3 5MT - 1991 E30 ///M3 5MT

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoWagon View Post

His seats were reupholstered by AMX Performance.
                He put the covers on himself though I believe. AMX only provided them?

Build Thread

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Inizes View Post

He put the covers on himself though I believe. AMX only provided them?
                  Oh I see that now, I stand corrected. Wasn't aware that AMX would sell just the covers, good to know!
                  Current: 2003.5 E46 ///M3 6MT - 2019 Ford Raptor 802A
                  Past: 2015 F80 ///M3 6MT - 2006 E46 ///M3 6MT - 1999 E36 ///M3 5MT - 1991 E30 ///M3 5MT

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoWagon View Post

Oh I see that now, I stand corrected. Wasn't aware that AMX would sell just the covers, good to know!
                    Not a problem!

For those interested in seeing a naked seat: https://www.instagram.com/s/aGlnaGxp...26115225141714

Build Thread

Instagram

Comment

OP, what are you doing for the airbag sensor? Reuse OEM one from your old seat, buy a new OEM one, etc? Looking to get Sportster CS's soon as well.

Obioban, thanks for sending those links for the brackets. Very helpful.
                      Big Booty Betty - '02 E46 M3 Coupe

Comment

For those with Recaro Sportster, is it possible to sit a bit lower than OEM seats? I am on the fence to buy seats for my E46 M3 and can’t decide between leather Pole Position or CS. I like the Pole Position driving position from previous PP I had but only going to drive my M3 on the street and would prefer recliner seats vs fix race seats.
                        2001 BMW E46 M3 Laguna Seca / M-Texture 6mt
                        2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
                        2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

Originally posted by BBB View Post
                          OP, what are you doing for the airbag sensor? Reuse OEM one from your old seat, buy a new OEM one, etc? Looking to get Sportster CS's soon as well.

Obioban, thanks for sending those links for the brackets. Very helpful.
                          Haven’t pulled the trigger on this project yet, but I plan to buy new OEM airbag sensors. Don’t want to compromise safety.

Comment

Originally posted by duracellttu View Post

Haven’t pulled the trigger on this project yet, but I plan to buy new OEM airbag sensors. Don’t want to compromise safety.
                            The seat occupancy sensor is there to make it so the airbag does not deploy if nobody is in the passenger seat, to make crashes cheaper. If you don't have the sensor, and code it off, the airbag will go off every time in an accident (meaning the passenger airbag will have to be replaced).

So, no safety compromised not having the sensor-- just the potential of a more expensive accident.

I didn't do it because the occupancy sensor is failure prone (often an issue in stock seats), and it's not that big of a deal to replace the airbag if it goes off-- didn't want to have to deal with replacing the sensor mat again down the road. So, I just coded off the sensor.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

The seat occupancy sensor is there to make it so the airbag does not deploy if nobody is in the passenger seat, to make crashes cheaper. If you don't have the sensor, and code it off, the airbag will go off every time in an accident (meaning the passenger airbag will have to be replaced).

So, no safety compromised not having the sensor-- just the potential of a more expensive accident.

I didn't do it because the occupancy sensor is failure prone (often an issue in stock seats), and it's not that big of a deal to replace the airbag if it goes off-- didn't want to have to deal with replacing the sensor mat again down the road. So, I just coded off the sensors.
                              Good to know Obi, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X