Questions About Recaro Sportster CS Seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gt4 View Post
    For those with Recaro Sportster, is it possible to sit a bit lower than OEM seats? I am on the fence to buy seats for my E46 M3 and can’t decide between leather Pole Position or CS. I like the Pole Position driving position from previous PP I had but only going to drive my M3 on the street and would prefer recliner seats vs fix race seats.
    You can make it lower than stock (especially if your stock is a power seat), but nowhere near as low as a side mounted seat.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

You can make it lower than stock (especially if your stock is a power seat), but nowhere near as low as a side mounted seat.
      Thanks for answering. I really hate OEM seats and driving position. I had PP in my first E46 M3 and Z4M Coupe and it was perfect, except during in/out of the car.

I think I will go with leather Pole Position and will do custom M Texture inserts, just bought 7 yards.
      Last edited by Gt4; 07-31-2020, 12:06 PM.
      2001 BMW E46 M3 Laguna Seca / M-Texture 6mt
      2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
      2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

Originally posted by Gt4 View Post

Thanks for answering. I really hate OEM seats and driving position. I had PP in my first E46 M3 and Z4M Coupe and it was perfect, except during in/out of the car.

I think I will go with leather Pole Position and will do custom M Texture inserts, just bought 7 yards.
        Nogaros have easier in/out than PPs, and play nicely with a 3 point seatbelt (unlike the PPs).

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
        2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by duracellttu View Post

I’m assuming these Brey Krause mounts are preferred over the Recaro sliders due to the addition of height and tilt functions?
          i don't think any aftermarket seat mount will get you height/tilt function on an E46 M3

Originally posted by duracellttu View Post

They don’t seem that heavy at 3lbs each.
          you're not going to lose a lot of weight swapping a Sportster CS into your car.

My leather Sportster CS with BK mount/OE seatbelt receptacle/OE slider was 50+ pounds all put together.

Comment

Originally posted by usdmej View Post
            i don't think any aftermarket seat mount will get you height/tilt function on an E46 M3

you're not going to lose a lot of weight swapping a Sportster CS into your car.

My leather Sportster CS with BK mount/OE seatbelt receptacle/OE slider was 50+ pounds all put together.

The CS isn't super light, but I'm surprised it added up to >50 lbs. Mounts are 3 lbs, sliders are 8 lbs, seat receptacle is... 1 lb? (guessing)

So leather heated CSs are >38 lbs?

... that dampens my enthusiasm for the notion of putting them in the wagon.

Technically side mount seats let you adjust tilt, just not... easily

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

The CS isn't super light, but I'm surprised it added up to >50 lbs. Mounts are 3 lbs, sliders are 8 lbs, seat receptacle is... 1 lb? (guessing)

So leather heated CSs are >38 lbs?

... that dampens my enthusiasm for the notion of putting them in the wagon.

Technically side mount seats let you adjust tilt, just not... easily

a leather Recaro CS is 35 pounds on it's own. i can't/won't comment on how much heavier a heated CS is because i've never had/weighed one personally

my CS all bolted together and ready to go in car was just over 50 pounds.

i'm guessing your estimate for sliders mounts and receptacles is off and also doesn't include required hardware

Comment

Recaro sportsters cs’s here. Recaro sliders and wedge floor mounts. I’m 5’10 with. 52” chest and my upper back barely squeezes in between the shoulders of the seat. Waist size is a 34 and I fit my lower body in just fine.

I’m kind of regretting the wedge floor mounts because In order to get the head clearance I want the seats have to use the wedges lowest setting. Reason I don’t like this is because the back floor mounts I’d like raised up one notch compared to the front to give myself a more comfortable driving position and not take away head clearance (I’m slicktop/carbon roof).

Hindsight I would’ve gotten the BK floor mounts.

For now my SRS light is on but I plan on coding that out. Weight saving is not “butt noticeable” but lifting the recaro and factory seats back to back, there’s a huge difference in weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                '96 RSP TT6spd Supra
                '05 Jet Black 6spd ZCP M3
                iG: 2jz.jest

Comment

Originally posted by JeST View Post

Hindsight I would’ve gotten the BK floor mounts.
                  BK mounts have a decent amount of height built into them. if being low is your ultimate preference, the swiss cheese style floor mounts (VAC, MS) will put you right on the floor. when i had them, even after adding recaro sliders, at 5'10 i sat almost uncomfortably low in the car.

Comment

Finally bought 2 Recaro Sportster CS yesterday, can’t wait to get them!
                    2001 BMW E46 M3 Laguna Seca / M-Texture 6mt
                    2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
                    2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

Hey guys - I need some help with wiring up the AMX heated seat elements on Recaro Sportsters.

Has anyone done it? If so, can you share some pictures or insight?

i just finished installing the BK mounts on the oem sliders and used an e30 window switch to power the seats. Now I’m working on figuring out the wiring from AMX’s heat elements.

They come with 3 exposed wires for slot 23,24,25 - green, blue, brown. I wired them up and the oem heat button lights up for 1-2 seconds and then goes away. The driver side ( Sparco seat currently )just flickers on / off because no wiring is connected on that side yet.

Comment

Unlikely you’ll be able to hook them up to the oe seat heater wiring— The factory seat heater pad has an integrated thermistor that the control strip expect to see. That’s why I used factory BMW seat heater pads.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Few questions:

1. Where did you find the OEM elements? Have a part # by chance? Looks like ECS/FCO only has the 36M elements

2. Is it possible to transfer the oem element from an existing seat? I recall taking my dove seat apart 5 years ago and I believe it was sown into the cover.

3. With an aftermarket kit like the AMX one, do I need to order the Recaro heated seat button? Any potential issues with this?

Thanks again!

Comment

You can't buy the e46 seat heater elements separately. I bought some used seats and cut them out-- which did mean cutting the stitches attaching them to the cover. The e39 seat heater pads are sold separately and also use an integrated thermistor... since they were contemporary to the e46, it's likely (but not certainly) that they'd be compatible.

I've never seen how Recaros setup works, but I think there's decent odds it would play nicely with the AMX pads.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                            2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

You can't buy the e46 seat heater elements separately. I bought some used seats and cut them out-- which did mean cutting the stitches attaching them to the cover. The e39 seat heater pads are sold separately and also use an integrated thermistor... since they were contemporary to the e46, it's likely (but not certainly) that they'd be compatible.

I've never seen how Recaros setup works, but I think there's decent odds it would play nicely with the AMX pads.
                              The E39 pads are compatible. Some local guys have used them in their Nogaros successfully (or at least that’s what HMS told me). I just got my seats in finally with integrated E39 pads. They’re not cheap though.

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post

The E39 pads are compatible. Some local guys have used them in their Nogaros successfully (or at least that’s what HMS told me). I just got my seats in finally with integrated E39 pads. They’re not cheap though.
                                Who offers seats with integrated e39 heater pads? Did you buy through AMX?
                                2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Working...
                                X