No announcement yet.

Best option for headers + cats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best option is euro headers and euro cats.

Everything else, there's Mastercard.
    2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
    2005 BMW ///M3
    Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
    2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
    2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
    2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by spooni View Post

I’ve yet to see euro cats for sale. Where’s the best place to hunt them down?
      Just have to keep an eye out for a used set. New is gonna be pretty pricey.

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
        So is there a consensus about euro cats passing CA smog including visual inspection? Because in that long LA smog thread I thought we figured out that they will pass the sniff test, but it's a matter of finding a smog tech who doesn't look that closely, and hoping they don't look at the diagrams.
        Definitely YMMV but I have yet to come across a smog tech who has pulled out a diagram. For the most, as long as it looks OEM and the cats are there you should be good.

Comment

I have never once had a smog tech get down and check under the car for cats.

I'm sure it's happened, but I wouldn't worry too much about it.
          2004 Dinan S3-R M3
          2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

I was leaning something like this. I could make a trip to summit in Reno and grab some 49 state legal cats. What diameter is the oe section 1?

I know I've been told by a few people to avoid AA, but they make a bolt in catted section 1. So that's also a possibility. There's a local guy selling some Fabspeed headers for $600. Wonder if that AA S1 would mate up.
            2.5”

I don't know what they go for now days, but 2 of them ran $305 back in late 2021. $60 to weld in. Price wise is was far better than any other offering.

Their amazing listing is no longer valid, unfortunately. They work fantastically, even with oversized injectors/HTE tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Chas3n View Post

2.5”

I don't know what they go for now days, but 2 of them ran $305 back in late 2021. $60 to weld in. Price wise is was far better than any other offering.

Their amazing listing is no longer valid, unfortunately. They work fantastically, even with oversized injectors/HTE tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Still seems like the best way versus euro cats.

Comment

If you have a link for those cats I don't mind getting them and welding them into my SS V1 Straight pipes.

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post

Apparently they have CSL Sec. 1 for sale but they are quite expensive, look around the site, they may have the non-CSL Euro.

https://www.apmotorsport.co.uk/produ...s&currency=USD

Edit: 1 in stock

https://www.apmotorsport.co.uk/produ...s?currency=USD
                  Thanks for the links. But that seems counterproductive. I think going with a set of quality hi flows is the move over $1500+shipping for euro cats..

Comment

Originally posted by Gearhead55 View Post

I would 1000% put a deposit down on that if they will make it for us. I have a friend that speaks Japanese, should I ask if he can help translate or is google sufficient?
                    the guy on instagram said he communicated exclusively through IG DMs using google translate.

in any case at the very least reach out to them and ask about it, the more requests for it the more likely they'll build it

that being said, this piece is still relatively unproven power wise, piping diameter isnt advertised, and probably nobody knows how making everything truly equal length effects the section 2 crossover point

Comment

With their pricing of those euro cats, I'd rather get the proper SS v1 catted section to go with my full SS system. Crazy!

The catless smells starting to bother me finally, I guess I'm getting older lol

Comment

Originally posted by 9kracing View Post
                        I have never once had a smog tech get down and check under the car for cats.

I'm sure it's happened, but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

for me it happens about 50% of the time. the euro cats always pass because well, they're literally factory parts. i'd imagine aftermarket cats would look like resonators to most tho.
                        you'd have to get really unlucky to have a smog tech that knows specifically where usdm E46 M3 headers should be located and fail you based on that.

Comment

Ken from Sunbeam will make a version of the Section 1 with no resonators. Weld in your own HJS cats and enjoy - HJS part no. 90 95 0092

@OP - in lieu of euro cats, you could do this mod to your OEM Section 1 and pair them with a used set of OEM euro headers. DIY Super Sprint catted section 1 for half the price.

Picture credit and HJS Cats part number identification thanks to MarcoPolo

Originally posted by MarcoPolo View Post
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2022-06-02 112826.png Views:	552 Size:	845.3 KB ID:	170331

Last edited by AWE46M3; 10-18-2023, 10:16 AM.
                          '02 ///M3 Alpine White / Cinnamon 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by AWE46M3 View Post
                            Ken from Sunbeam will make a version of the Section 1 with no resonators. Weld in your own HJS cats and enjoy - HJS part no. 90 95 0092

@OP - in lieu of euro cats, you could do this mod to your OEM Section 1 and pair them with a used set of OEM euro headers. DIY Super Sprint catted section 1 for half the price.

Picture credit and HJS Cats part number identification thanks to MarcoPolo

interesting. Those cats say good for up to 240bhp.

Comment

interesting. Those cats say good for up to 240bhp.
                              2 cats = 480bhp

From HJS directly:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8318.png
Views:	788
Size:	304.4 KB
ID:	238508

M5 guys out this combo on the map. Check this forum post out for additional info

https://www.m5board.com/threads/hjs-...erters.192808/
                              Last edited by AWE46M3; 10-18-2023, 10:42 AM.
                              '02 ///M3 Alpine White / Cinnamon 6MT

Comment

I must have given off narc vibes because the last smog guy inspected my car for at least 10 minutes. Probably didn't help that it was mid-day and nobody else was there.
                                '04 LSB Coupe 6MT
                                All my money goes towards maintenance.

Comment

Working...
                                X