X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd trust TC Kline over Ground Control.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
      I like these coilover conversions, but only in the right conditions, which I'd say are:

1. You don't want or need to spend $3k
      2. You'll be sticking with stock like or "OEM+" spring rates. I don't think konis or billys can handle more than about 400/600lb
      3. You're ok with only a mild drop or will recapture travel loss with front camber plates or even GC "tall" RSMs

I really loved my bilstein B6s with GC conversion when I used 325lb 7" front spring (for sale btw ) and 550lb rear. I had TMS front plates which gave back about 5/8" travel, and "tall" GC rsms. I ran them at 13.6" front & 13.25" rear. I also trimmed the internal billy bump stop a little.
      1,2,and 3 all fit exactly where I am at. I have read through your build before and did it again seeing if I missed anything. For the 550lb rear, is that a 6" spring? Going into spring rates and lengths alone seem like you can spend days researching. I am purely 99% street. There is a track local to me that does monthly events but if I find I enjoy doing that then I will spend the necessary big money for that.

Comment

550lb was a special bespoke 6.5" eibach spring from ground control. Perfect height imo because it had enough travel AND would create a 13-13.25" rear ride height depending on what rubber pads/shims you use.

With these cars, I think you want at least 600lb if you need to use a 6" spring in the rear (400lb for 6" up front). Too short of a spring that's too light of a rate will lead to blocking or coil bind.
        DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
        /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
        More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Ubaderb View Post

1,2,and 3 all fit exactly where I am at. I have read through your build before and did it again seeing if I missed anything. For the 550lb rear, is that a 6" spring? Going into spring rates and lengths alone seem like you can spend days researching. I am purely 99% street. There is a track local to me that does monthly events but if I find I enjoy doing that then I will spend the necessary big money for that.
          You will enjoy the TCK setup more I think. GC does not use much of a beehive spring, so the travel is much lower in the rear with their kit. The biggest difference between the two is going to be the rear spring travel (TCK being much better) and that TCK is a custom Koni threaded damper, while GC is a GC body with a Koni race insert. GC front will run a little hotter and wear quicker, but you can purchase just the inserts for them (though they are $400+ each, same as a new TCK replacement).

Comment

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post
            I've had TCK DA's with modifications on for 12 years.

I'd spend 3k on them again but my uses for the car have changed so now I'm gonna spend 4k.

TCK's are great for this car if they're setup well.
            What were your sprint rates in the front and rear for the TCK DAs? What were your modifications? I'm evaluating TCK DA with 300# front, 700# rear to achieve flat ride. TCK told me that 300# was too soft for the front and 700# was overkill, but I'm looking to use this setup on a vert + hardtop and then figure out what I'll do on a coupe in about 6 months. I'm currently sitting on Status Gruppe SRS coilovers (I got them for $500 practically new) and want something higher quality, to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by S54330Ci View Post

This.

I recommend you look at MCS (Motion Control Suspension). These are Motorsports-level dampers that are (IMO as well as others) probably the best out there. Their 1WNR damper is a great entry point for combined street / light track use. Their 1WNR damper is the spec damper required in the SPEC E46 series. They can valve these dampers to any spring rate you wish and are rebuildable here in the US.

I use the 2WNR damper on my track car and without a doubt it is the best system I've used.

Dampers Buyers Guide | Motion Control Suspension | Motorsport & Premium Dampers
              This. I run GCs on my race car but use custom-valved Bilstein race dampers. So yeah, if you use off-the-shelf dampers they go so far, but with the right parts, you can do anything you want.
              E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread
              Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread

Comment

Working...
              X