Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone replace HK amp with aftermarket DSP / amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone replace HK amp with aftermarket DSP / amp?

Looking to replace parts of my existing radio in my touring. Currently it has Bavmod speakers (with stock "subwoofer " speakers) and an android based aftermarket stereo and stock HK amp. Looking to replace the headunit with a nicer unit and would like to replace the HK factory amp with an integrated amp/DSP and replace the stock "subwoofer" speakers. Has anyone here done this and/or have any recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My amps are not DSP but it’s a pretty straightforward job since most head units will have line outs. Sound quality will be much improved especially if you apply sound deadener at the same time. The BavSound speakers will generally keep up, to a certain level of power, so you don’t have to butcher the existing speaker locations or make a project out of speakers. You can always start there and upgrade speakers as necessary later. There are speaker options though, as folks hopefully will chime in.

maw

Comment

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post
      My amps are not DSP but it's a pretty straightforward job since most head units will have line outs. Sound quality will be much improved especially if you apply sound deadener at the same time. The BavSound speakers will generally keep up, to a certain level of power, so you don't have to butcher the existing speaker locations or make a project out of speakers. You can always start there and upgrade speakers as necessary later. There are speaker options though, as folks hopefully will chime in.

maw
      Thanks! I currently do have Bavmod speakers installed in all the doors (3-way front & 1 small speaker in the rear doors). They currently don't sound that good but not sure if that's due to the cure headunit or the stock speakers all the way in the rear that act as subwoofers (forgot the size - they are oval)

Yeah guess I'll just need to figure out the pinout of the factory HK to wire up the speakers from the DSP and or amp if I want to retain the factory wiring to the speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Since you have the car apart, why not just run RCA cables from your head unit straight to your new amp (near the factory), then yes, factory speaker wiring from the amp. I didn't install mine, but no one ever reported any real trouble. Seems fairly straightforward once the head unit has RCA outputs. If the head unit doesn't have RCA outputs, that needs to go first. No RCA outputs tells me the sound quality is probably trash and amplifying it will be worse. You'll be DSPing until you're blue in the face, defeated, out a good bit of money and time and ready to sell the car, when all you needed was a decent head unit.

maw

Comment

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post
          Since you have the car apart, why not just run RCA cables from your head unit straight to your new amp (near the factory), then yes, factory speaker wiring from the amp. I didn't install mine, but no one ever reported any real trouble. Seems fairly straightforward once the head unit has RCA outputs. If the head unit doesn't have RCA outputs, that needs to go first. No RCA outputs tells me the sound quality is probably trash and amplifying it will be worse. You'll be DSPing until you're blue in the face, defeated, out a good bit of money and time and ready to sell the car, when all you needed was a decent head unit.

maw
          Old pics...the interior is all back together again BUT I may just run RCA anyways since I'll be replacing the head unit (Alpine ILX-705E46) has been order and should be in hand soon.

Fair point about DSPing. One thing is I don't think I'll be selling anytime soon, considering how much I put into it. I intend this to be a forever car unless someone offers something I can't refuse.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ad13041c-c54c-48f8-9251-b7a66d50e326.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	240967 Click image for larger version

Name:	9aace066-225f-47a9-81f5-433867e6c874.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	240968

Attached Files

Comment

I did not replace the HK amp, but I did do full stereo in the M3 using the factory amp, and it sounds pretty darn good.

I'm running the top of the line Avin Avant 4 with the DSP chipset... that's powering Bavsound speakers, and then I'm running sub-outs to the Wicked CAS 10" enclosure with a JL W7 and JL XD600.

It gets plenty loud to hear clearly at 90mph with the windows down, in fact I don't think I've ever turned it up over halfway.

My only complaint is that the bavsound speakers are just ok for the price, i certainly could have pieced together a better set if I had taken my time.
            2004 Dinan S3-R M3
            2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

Originally posted by 9kracing View Post
              I did not replace the HK amp, but I did do full stereo in the M3 using the factory amp, and it sounds pretty darn good.

I'm running the top of the line Avin Avant 4 with the DSP chipset... that's powering Bavsound speakers, and then I'm running sub-outs to the Wicked CAS 10" enclosure with a JL W7 and JL XD600.

It gets plenty loud to hear clearly at 90mph with the windows down, in fact I don't think I've ever turned it up over halfway.

My only complaint is that the bavsound speakers are just ok for the price, i certainly could have pieced together a better set if I had taken my time.
              Good to know. Looks like Wicked might not have an enclosure for a touring so I need to keep looking for options.

Comment

What does the touring trunk look like? Do you get one of those flaps that covers a little well underneath?

It kinda looks like it from the pic with the interior stripped out. Hard to tell how big that well is tho.

Im running this in my X5, it fits down in the well area, but I think your well is smaller than mine.

Last edited by 9kracing; 11-07-2023, 07:07 AM.
                2004 Dinan S3-R M3
                2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

Originally posted by 9kracing View Post
                  What does the touring trunk look like? Do you get one of those flaps that covers a little well underneath?

It kinda looks like it from the pic with the interior stripped out. Hard to tell how big that well is tho.

Im running this in my X5, it fits down in the well area, but I think your well is smaller than mine.

That's an old pic. The standard spare tire well has been cut out and now has the M3 rear:

Before:

Name:	775bcee7-48f4-460d-8b28-2a7320809e48.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	240981

During Conversion:

Name:	52869b1a-faed-40f3-8d7a-e3912888c97d.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	240980

After:

Name:	3fc85bc8-0b00-4223-abe0-9a4fcfb9e024.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	240982
                  Attached Files

Comment

Oh wow cool.

Yeah idk what you're going to do lol
                    2004 Dinan S3-R M3
                    2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

+1 on the factory HK amp being fine. When I first had the BavSound speakers running on the factory head and Bav speakers, the sound quality and volume were fine but the sound shaping was horrible on the factory head (no separate subwoofer channel). So I went to a Dynavin D99 (separate SW channel + RCA outs) and outboard cabin amp, which just exposed how poor the head unit was (incurable noise). An upgraded Dynavin head years later solved all problems, but I don't know how that would run on the factory HK amp.

For example, does that HK amp have speaker level subwoofer inputs? I have no idea. I know it doesn't have RCA inputs. I also don't know any aftermarket head unit with speaker level subwoofer outputs. So for me, once you go to a head with RCA outputs, it functionally obsoletes the HK amp.

maw
                      Last edited by maw1124; 11-07-2023, 10:02 AM.

Comment

I use the JBL DSP4086 and an external sub. Soldered all the wires to the factory HK connector board so that none of the wires are cut and made it sit on the stock bracket. Really nice sound and you have the freedom of DSP tuning. You can find these for under $300.

Comment

Originally posted by Pavlo View Post
                          I use the JBL DSP4086 and an external sub. Soldered all the wires to the factory HK connector board so that none of the wires are cut and made it sit on the stock bracket. Really nice sound and you have the freedom of DSP tuning. You can find these for under $300.

Actually, I've been considering this. Which HK connector board are you referencing? How did you deal with the 3-way components in the front doors? Are all on separate channels, or did you add a passive crossover of some sort? Tried planning out the best channel assignment based on the current wiring, but even with 8 channels, I'm struggling. I mapped these out so far, but not sure how best to use channels 7 & 8. Using channel 1-6 only cover the fronts.

Name:	2023-11-11_21-03-04.png
Views:	241
Size:	424.8 KB
ID:	241624
                          Attached Files

Comment

I'm running a DSP and amp'd all my bavsound speakers + amp'd rockford fogsgate 6x9 in an HK basket. My car is non-HK, but it's essentially the same setup.

Its a budget build, but it sounds really great for my level of music listening.

Last edited by L0okitzRaj; 11-11-2023, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by L0okitzRaj View Post
                              I'm running a DSP and amp'd all my bavsound speakers + amp'd rockford fogsgate 6x9 in an HK basket. My car is non-HK, but it's essentially the same setup.

Its a budget build, but it sounds really great for my level of music listening.
                              Which DSP are you using? Do you have the 3 - way speakers in the front doors? Are all channels on the DSP?

Comment

Working...
                              X