No announcement yet.

Puretech x-brace install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So all that is securing the plates on the tower are the two bolts from the shock mounts? Those studs aren't very strong and I don't think they were designed to account for a brace. At least the OE front brace nuts have a shank and collar which increases the surface area.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
      So all that is securing the plates on the tower are the two bolts from the shock mounts? Those studs aren't very strong and I don't think they were designed to account for a brace. At least the OE front brace nuts have a shank and collar which increases the surface area.
      No. There are 2 bolts that go horizontally into each tower as well.

Further update...

I went ahead and gound down the part of the connection that was off. All is good there now. I did come to one realization as many of you said to install it while it's on the ground..well you can't, not fully at least.

The lower horizontal tower bolts nut side cannot be accessed without the car raised/wheels off. I guess we all just mount everything we can at load then go in and do the lower tower bolts? robgill liam821

Comment

Someone may know exactly how the chassis flexes, but assuming you have divorced suspension in the rear, the shock towers may not flex much on ground or off. You could check by putting the cross member in on the ground and then lift the car and see if the gap between the towers changes? I think you are good to go!

Comment

Originally posted by bavarian3 View Post

No. There are 2 bolts that go horizontally into each tower as well.

Further update...

I went ahead and gound down the part of the connection that was off. All is good there now. I did come to one realization as many of you said to install it while it's on the ground..well you can't, not fully at least.

The lower horizontal tower bolts nut side cannot be accessed without the car raised/wheels off. I guess we all just mount everything we can at load then go in and do the lower tower bolts? robgill liam821
          I think I installed mine on jack stands, but didn't have any issues getting all the bolts to line up. It was very tight though.
          Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread
          Japanrot Red E46 330i Msport Build Thread
          TiAg E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread

Comment

Finally got this in. Trimming the tower cover/carpeting took some time. Pretty happy with the results. Now let's hope it actually keeps the RACP sound =)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6894.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	253008

Name:	IMG_6897.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	253009

This is how much I had to take off on each mount, passenger side.

Name:	IMG_6891.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	253010

Comment

Working...
            X