Puretech x-brace install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Puretech x-brace install

For those who installed the pure-tech x brace, how well did the hole line up for you between the shock tower plates and the x-bar?

I tinkered around with different ways to get this aligned before I do any drilling into the shock tower and the holes don't line up.

I checked to be sure the tower plates fit fine, which they do, as shown. No gaps or issues.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6323.jpg
Views:	816
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	245396

Name:	IMG_6324.jpg
Views:	741
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	245397

Now trying to align the x-bar...driver side holes align perfectly

Name:	IMG_6325.jpg
Views:	755
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	245398

but the passenger side...

Name:	IMG_6326.jpg
Views:	740
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	245399

If I try to put the bolts through the x-bar and tower plates first, then secure the tower plates to the tower, i end up with gaps like so...

Name:	IMG_6221.jpg
Views:	754
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	245400

Puretech claims they haven't seen this issue before. My car is pretty darn clean and unmolested so I'm not thinking it's racp or shock tower uniformity issue. Only thing I can think is when I drill the holes in the tower the bolts will pull things in where there's gaps, concern is deforming the shock tower make this happen.

What does everyone think?

[Tagging robgill and liam821 from some previous threads I found on this topic.]

If this is just a street car you are probably more than fine slotting the holes on the tabs ever so slightly. In theory there would be a little play but probably wont matter once you torque everything down.

If you really want it solid, install the tower plates and torque them down, install the x-bar through the chassis and torque down, and then weld the x-bar to the tabs on the plates and forego the bolts all together.

Comment

Based on this pic they don't seem to be off by much.... maybe your car is just off by a millimeter after 20 years?

Is the car on completely flat ground?
      2004 Dinan S3-R M3
      2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

I've installed two of these. I would loosen up the bolts on the top of the tower bracket. Then line up and install the 4 bolts in the cross brace. Now tighten down the 4 bolts on top of the tower. Last step is drill and install the 4 horizontal tower bolts. I dont see any issue with the horizantal gap but you could insert some washers if needed.

+1 on make sure the car is on the ground
        Last edited by robgill; 12-12-2023, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fourmula1 View Post
          If this is just a street car you are probably more than fine slotting the holes on the tabs ever so slightly. In theory there would be a little play but probably wont matter once you torque everything down.

If you really want it solid, install the tower plates and torque them down, install the x-bar through the chassis and torque down, and then weld the x-bar to the tabs on the plates and forego the bolts all together.

Yep figure this is what i'll do as a last resort, I do like the welding idea better though.

Originally posted by 9kracing View Post

Based on this pic they don't seem to be off by much.... maybe your car is just off by a millimeter after 20 years?

Is the car on completely flat ground?

Originally posted by robgill View Post
          I've installed two of these. I would loosen up the bolts on the top of the tower bracket. Then line up and install the 4 bolts in the cross brace. Now tighten down the 4 bolts on top of the tower. Last step is drill and install the 4 horizontal tower bolts. I dont see any issue with the horizantal gap but you could insert some washers if needed.

I did this method and that's how I ended up with the gap.

To answer the question about the car being on the ground, it certainly isn't. It's lifted on quickjacks. It currently has no rear suspension. I only bolted in the subframe itself to do the x-brace install. I didn't consider this(car being off the ground) initially.

Comment

Yeah put the car back on the ground first and then check, it should be fine using the methods the members above have mentioned.

Comment

Not trying to hijack the thread by has anyone checked on rigidity improvements vs Vince bar or even a half cage.

Comment

Originally posted by robgill View Post

This is what I did. Mine was off a hair as well during install, but my car has been though a lot so I'm not surprised.
                Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread
                Japanrot Red E46 330i Msport Build Thread
                TiAg E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread

Comment

Anyone installed the DSWorks 6 point in the forum? I’m waffling back and forth on paying the invoice for it, but I really like the idea of tying the front points in and no one else seems to offer that.

Comment

CMP does. I think Yurkan does as well.
                    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                      CMP does. I think Yurkan does as well.
                      ah yes, good call, forgot about the CMP option.

Comment

Does this brace require welding or drilling? Or it’s just a bolt on affair?

Comment

You have to cut holes through the carpet and top layer of the floor panel with a hole saw for the brace to go into place. It sits flush against the inner part of the floor directly above the subframe mounts.

There is a less obtrusive version of this style of brace made by Yurkan Cages, where the bottom portion runs kind of along the floor of the trunk and the top portion is quickly removable for occasions where you temporarily need more trunk space.
                          http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                          '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                          '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Teemmy two 48mm holes in the floor. 4 bolt holes total through the shock towers.

To update everyone - the car is on the ground now, but unfortunately no difference in the alignment of the holes. I really don't want gaps from the plates and shock towers as shown above, so I think I'll torque them down first, then grind the x-brace to plate holes as needed.

liam821 how did you solve yours being off?

Comment

Originally posted by Teemmy View Post
                              Does this brace require welding or drilling? Or it’s just a bolt on affair?
                              just some minor drilling, and the rest are bolted on...

Comment

Working...
                              X