DIY: Replace Electrochromic (Auto-Dimming) Mirror Glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY: DIY: Replace Electrochromic (Auto-Dimming) Mirror Glass

I recently embarked on replacing the auto-dimming mirror glass in my rear view mirror. The original mirror leaked prior to my ownership, so I've never been able to enjoy the auto-dimming.

When I went to find a guide on how to do this the best I could find was instructions from a vendor of replacement mirror glass, and even that was fairly minimal in terms of instruction. So, inspired by Avedis I decided I'd contribute a DIY guide (I've benefited greatly from the work of others, so it's great to be able to contribute something small back).

I also, as it seems is common, broke some of the clips on the mirror housing (in fact I think when the mirror has leaked this is inevitable as the caustic fluid runs onto the clips and degrades them). The advice from said vendor was to glue the front bezel if you break too many clips. That solution didn't appeal to me as it would mean I wouldn't be able to open the unit again in the future if needed. So instead I came up with a better way to fix the clips. I have included this in the DIY in case others wish to go with that approach.

This guide has been written in bits in amongst life with small children, so if you spot issues or things that could be better clarified please let me know. I am not precious about my work, just want something that is helpful for the community.

You can find the guide here: DIY Guide - E46 M3 - Interior - Replace Electrochromic Mirror Glass

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-12-30 at 10.11.44 PM.png
Views:	305
Size:	479.1 KB
ID:	247358
    2005 ///M3 SMG Coupe Silbergrau Metallic/CSL bucket seats
    Build Thread:
    https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...e46-m3-journal

This is great, thanks for making this. The organized almost clinical layout and font chosen makes it seem like something BMW could have made for internal use.

Comment

Originally posted by Avedis View Post
      This is great, thanks for making this. The organized almost clinical layout and font chosen makes it seem like something BMW could have made for internal use.
      Thanks! haha that would be because I took inspiration from BMW's documentation 🙃
      2005 ///M3 SMG Coupe Silbergrau Metallic/CSL bucket seats
      Build Thread:
      https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...e46-m3-journal

Comment

Nice write up. I just bought a plain glass insert and taped the housing shut with black electrical tape because I’m ghetto.
        http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
        '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
        '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Nice detail. I would suggest some page breaks so the text on a page matches the picture eg page 27 and 28.

Comment

Working...
          X