No announcement yet.

SMG error code 59 clutch control possible causes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not hugely familiar with the SMG slave cylinder, but any chance this method works with it? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl5WQCgUjDc

That was the only way I was able to get all the air out of my slave when I did my MK60 swap (and emptied the entire hydraulic brake/clutch system).
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
      Not hugely familiar with the SMG slave cylinder, but any chance this method works with it? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl5WQCgUjDc

That was the only way I was able to get all the air out of my slave when I did my MK60 swap (and emptied the entire hydraulic brake/clutch system).
      This is a great way to get the air out of the slave cylinder, but I don't see how the air in the line and the SMG valve to get out as they are located higher than slave.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

This is a great way to get the air out of the slave cylinder, but I don't see how the air in the line and the SMG valve to get out as they are located higher than slave.
        True.

Although the slave cylinder was pretty hard to bleed on my manual car (until I did that), so should help to speed up the bleeding process.
        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by nextelbuddy View Post
          Placed an order with MLR engineering a few days ago. Bought a rebuilt slave with sensor, relay and fuse. Replaced all 3 and performed all 3 adaptation tests in INPA again.

In the past it has always passed everything except the final clutch slipping point test when they press the brake and start the engine. Big red screen

This time it passed with a nice green screen.
          I don't know why the original slave passed all the tests when it was in the actual m3 vert and started failing when I. Did the swap...

I can only consider that maybe when I removed the slave from the transmission, it disturbs the internal seals/magnets on the pushrod of the slave causing an internal error that wasn't there before.

I'll try driving the car and see if it drives fine or still kicks me out of gear.

But this is a win and I'll take it

Looking at those photos, did you reuse the clutch fork? It looks like it has definitely has seen better days.. - If you reused it, it is possible its slightly bent and throwing things out of spec. This would make sense if adaptations are failing on the last step (clutch bite point)

Comment

Originally posted by Irhase46m3 View Post

Looking at those photos, did you reuse the clutch fork? It looks like it has definitely has seen better days.. - If you reused it, it is possible its slightly bent and throwing things out of spec. This would make sense if adaptations are failing on the last step (clutch bite point)
            No the clutch fork is brand new. Everything is brand new from BMW. The clutch fork in that one photo has grease on it. Maybe that's why it looks like it's used or old but it's definitely not worn. It was brand new.

I do like your idea about the bent clutch fork. That would definitely make sense if somebody had a bent clutch fork throwing off the range of values for the distance for the clutch slave.

Luckily mine has had no issues ever since I reported back. Car has been driving great shifting perfectly so I will just keep going on with everything business as usual

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

Glad you haven’t had issues recently. I had this same code on my car and was chasing it for a while, I believe it ended up being a problematic clutch solenoid. Similar thing, code would appear and I would clear it and not see it for a while. According to the burkhart SMG wiki the selection angle solenoid and clutch solenoid do the same thing. I swapped those two solenoids and ended up getting code 50 which is selection angle related instead.

BMW doesn’t sell new solenoids outside of a new pump and I couldn’t find a good used one, so I manual swapped. I miss SMG

Comment

Originally posted by alpinem3e46 View Post
                Glad you haven’t had issues recently. I had this same code on my car and was chasing it for a while, I believe it ended up being a problematic clutch solenoid. Similar thing, code would appear and I would clear it and not see it for a while. According to the burkhart SMG wiki the selection angle solenoid and clutch solenoid do the same thing. I swapped those two solenoids and ended up getting code 50 which is selection angle related instead.

BMW doesn’t sell new solenoids outside of a new pump and I couldn’t find a good used one, so I manual swapped. I miss SMG
                BMW doesn't sell them but you can definitely source them. https://mlreng.com/products/copy-of-...39326587486295

Comment

Originally posted by alpinem3e46 View Post
                  I wonder what went wrong with that solenoid -- did you measure the resistance between its two pins to find out if it's either shorted or opened circuit? Maybe just the o-ring leaking.

Comment

Working...
                  X