BMW Motorsport Inconel S54 Headers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by digger View Post

They are going to be for an all out build because that's why they were designed. The primaries off the head are pretty big and for anything on the street stepped is going to be the best bet for the broadest powerband and responsiveness. Primaries appear slightly shorter which tunes in at higher rpm. The secondaries are super crtical and without the rest of the exhaust you may not even realise the benefits that led to this design but you will almost certainly be sub optimal.
    Do you have any real test data or calculations to prove this though? TONS of statements on this site saying "X makes more power than Y" or "X part looses midrange" but even in the dyno thread there isn't much a/b comparison or info and calculations about ideal exhaust design for these engines. It's almost entirely anecdotal.

​​​​​​These are obviously designed for a race engine but the primaries are no shorter than euro headers and we don't even know the diameters. They don't even look that short to me. Tubing looks large but no numbers to prove/disprove anything.
    Last edited by discoelk; 01-09-2024, 03:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by discoelk View Post

Do you have any real test data or calculations to prove this though? TONS of statements on this site saying "X makes more power than Y" or "X part looses midrange" but even in the dyno thread there isn't much a/b comparison or info and calculations about ideal exhaust design for these engines. It's almost entirely anecdotal.

​​​​​​These are obviously designed for a race engine but the primaries are no shorter than euro headers and we don't even know the diameters. They don't even look that short to me. Tubing looks large but no numbers to prove/disprove anything.
      You're welcome to Google "Fetcher made horsepower" call and ask him yourself. He has engine dyno'd these and they have no low end torque they're designed for an all out race engine. No I don't and don't know anyone who who would have the graph but just words he's provided. For reference he was PTG's tuner for their racecars

Comment

Originally posted by Cronenberged View Post

You're welcome to Google "Fetcher made horsepower" call and ask him yourself. He has engine dyno'd these and they have no low end torque they're designed for an all out race engine. No I don't and don't know anyone who who would have the graph but just words he's provided. For reference he was PTG's tuner for their racecars
        Just looked up the company and its location. Makes since Fletcher and PTG collaborated. The two shops were only 30 minutes apart, driving. Small world.

Comment

There were three cam options for the P54 - 316° or 304° intake and 298° exhaust. The engine lives at high RPM all the time and can take advantage of those headers. The routing is very similar to the discontinued Epic headers which were not very popular -

Click image for larger version  Name:	EpicS54_Headers_600.jpg Views:	0 Size:	17.0 KB ID:	248561

Someone said that the installation required removing the passenger side engine bracket. It appears the manufacture chose to make them without the V-band. The V-band probably made the P54 headers easier to install than the Epic headers.

There is really no good reason to have either of these over the SSV1s on a non-race car.
          Last edited by Slideways; 01-09-2024, 01:20 PM.

Comment

These are in the parts catalogue for the Z4 VLN car equipped with a P54B32.
            These cars are also running a 316° intake cam. Not interesting for any application that is less than 100% race...

Although the design is true equal length between both banks, which makes it kind of intriguing...

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 7 mit Tapatalk

Last edited by Altaran; 01-09-2024, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Found an old video with that Z4 M racecar supposedly with those headers for those that wonder what a P54 sounds like.

Comment

Originally posted by Altaran View Post
                These are in the parts catalogue for the Z4 VLN car equipped with a P54B32.
                These cars are also running a 316° intake cam. Not interesting for any application that is less than 100% race...

Although the design is true equal length between both banks, which makes it kind of intriguing...

Exactly the info I was hoping for! Sounds so good. P54B32 in a street E46 (completely impractical & unnecessary) is endgame for me.

Comment

If I was made of money I'd buy these and dyno them against my SS V1s... I think in a supercharged car these would shine.

Unfortunately I can think of about a million things smarter to do with 5 grand however
                  2004 Dinan S3-R M3
                  2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

Originally posted by cornerbalanced View Post

Exactly the info I was hoping for! Sounds so good. P54B32 in a street E46 (completely impractical & unnecessary) is endgame for me.
                    Especially in the impractical car you're considering 😜

There is someone in Michigan or near the Great lakes that makes duplicates of these for 1/4 of the price.

Comment

Instead on getting these or a replica, there's still the Achilles headers as an option. They are also true equal length, so they should provide a similar sound. As a plus for street friendly builds they do have a step in them.

I have searched for sound videos several times, unfortunately I didn't find any.

Comment

Originally posted by Cronenberged View Post

Especially in the impractical car you're considering 😜

There is someone in Michigan or near the Great lakes that makes duplicates of these for 1/4 of the price.
                        Interested to hear who's doing that if you know! Did a bit of searching around but couldn't find anything.

Originally posted by Altaran View Post
                        Instead on getting these or a replica, there's still the Achilles headers as an option. They are also true equal length, so they should provide a similar sound. As a plus for street friendly builds they do have a step in them.

I have searched for sound videos several times, unfortunately I didn't find any.

I contacted Achilles about these, they actually have a fab shop local to them build the headers. He told me the car needs to be brought to the shop and the headers are custom-fabbed to the car, including the rest of the exhaust system if needed etc. They didn't seem to have an off-the-shelf option available. I'm still considering it as I don't think the design of the SSV1s I have now are all that great, plus as mentioned they are not fully equal length.

Comment

Originally posted by BBRTuning View Post
                          I contacted Achilles about these, they actually have a fab shop local to them build the headers. He told me the car needs to be brought to the shop and the headers are custom-fabbed to the car, including the rest of the exhaust system if needed etc. They didn't seem to have an off-the-shelf option available. I'm still considering it as I don't think the design of the SSV1s I have now are all that great, plus as mentioned they are not fully equal length.
                          Yeah, I talked to them about it as well. Since I don't live stateside anymore it's not an option for me.

On the bright side: being custom fabbed, they can make em to fit your SS V1 Section 1 connections.

The only other name that pops my head for true equal length headers is Kromer Kraft. But I don't know if they are still around...

Comment

Originally posted by Anri View Post

Hi,

Sound good but few of your parts
                            are pointless..which will not bring you
                            food on the table for not all out S54

I have measured personally the cams
                            288 Schrick, CatCams and have some very
                            valuable data...and concept.

Common mistake is people load the engine
                            with tons of performance and not necessary parts
                            for hot rodded street engine.

Please get rid of the Internet-Myth of deleting the Vanos
                            using larger cams!!! It's a myth again and again!!!!!

The Vanos is deleted for absolutely other
                            reasons!

When I spent tons of time and money to flow
                            parts I certainly operate with different concept
                            ones I got the data in my hands.

Regards,
                            Anri
                            Sorry about offtop- Anri, as i see you have a great experience in s54 tune- I need advice for exhaust and injectors- my setup is 288/280 cams, karbonius airbox, stock euro exhaust manifold. Do i need any header setup like stepped supersprint or stock is ok? Will stock injectors supply this setup or i need bigger ones?

Comment

Originally posted by BMWfanz View Post
                              need advice for exhaust
                              Your Euro headers will work wonderful for this combo not saying that
                              other headers will not work but for your stock engine CR and Head
                              these will work great. On top the fitment is a breeze also the Euro
                              headers with OEM very clever design flanges are lighter weight compared
                              to every aftermarket header/s

Originally posted by BMWfanz View Post
                              Will stock injectors supply this setup or i need bigger ones?
                              Stock injectors are designed for 333hp SAE crank we all make 340-347RWHP
                              I personally have never been fan of keeping the stock injectors as most do but
                              its additional cost when do this combo.
                              On 2 S54s with the same combo shortly after being tuned I had 1 injector fail on
                              both cars by doing hydro lock...cost me to open the oil pan and inspect the rod
                              bearing looked like new (still replaced with new).

If budget allows 100% replace them if not they still going to deliver the final
                              results but expect failure for sure...

Regards
                              Anri
                              Last edited by Anri; 01-17-2024, 08:53 AM.
                              https://www.instagram.com/euroclassicmotors/.

www.euroclassicmotors.com

Comment

Originally posted by Anri View Post

Your Euro headers will work wonderful for this combo not saying that
                                other headers will not work but for your stock engine CR and Head
                                these will work great. On top the fitment is a breeze also the Euro
                                headers with OEM very clever design flanges are lighter weight compared
                                to every aftermarket header/s

Stock injectors are designed for 333hp SAE crank we all make 340-347RWHP
                                I personally have never been fan of keeping the stock injectors as most do but
                                its additional cost when do this combo.
                                On 2 S54s with the same combo shortly after being tuned I had 1 injector fail on
                                both cars by doing hydro lock...cost me to open the oil pan and inspect the rod
                                bearing looked like new (still replaced with new).

If budget allows 100% replace them if not they still going to deliver the final
                                results but expect failure for sure...

Regards
                                Anri
                                Thank you for great advices!

Comment

Working...
                                X