Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying Beisan VANOS, What Else Do I Need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying Beisan VANOS, What Else Do I Need?

After many years of debating on how to handle the VANOS rebuild on my 2002 E46 M3 with 62k miles, I finally settled on buying:
    • Beisan's Brand New OEM VANOS
    • Beisan exhaust sprocket hub

That way I have all brand new non-fatigued metal. My question to all of you is what else should I replace while my mechanic has the car apart? I was going to also add the following items but I'm not sure if I'm missing anything:
    • LANG Racing or Dr Vanos cam bolts
    • Beisan or Dr Vanos upper chain guide
    • Rogue Enginnering or Dr Vanos S54 Vanos oil line

Should I also get the following items? Am I missing anything else?
    • Dr Vanos chain tensioner guide (Race)
    • Dr Vanos CPV kit
    Thanks everyone.

Another thing to consider is rebuilding the splined shafts with the anti rattle kit, as those aren’t included with the replacement VANOS.

I personally use actual 12.9 bolts for the little ones, I am not convinced the ‘updated BMW version’ is actually revised and stronger, because it is still 8.8, they just changed from hex to torx, as BMW did for many bolts around 2008.

Furthermore I would use the Beisan upper guide, and a new BMW VANOS line (design has been updated with an extra securing point).

But I think first and foremost you should consider if all of this is really needed at your milage.

E46 ///M3 • 12/2002 • phönix-gelb • 6MT
    E39 ///M5 • 12/1998 • avus-blau • 6MT
    E60 ///M5 • 11/2006 • saphir-schwarz • 6MT

Comment

I recommend buy new diaphragm and washers kit. S62 washers and diaphragms are slightly harder than s54 ones- but it will slightly increase vanos reaction time. But vanos will be less noisy.

Comment

I went this route. Here is everything I used.

Beisan Vanos unit with seals
        Beisan oil pump disc
        Beisan cam sprocket
        Anti rattle kit ( I question if this is necessary )
        Dr Vanos oil line - the extra mounting point caused me to strip the Vanos mounting bolt so be cautious
        OE upper chain guide
        Dr Vanos racing chain guide (made by beisan)
        Updated Cam Bolts (Dr.Vanos)
        S62 diaphram/washer
        OEM chain tensioner ( mine was no spring strength on removal)

Be sure to get :
        New Vanos Gasket
        New o-rings for oil flow regulator. You can order separate from Beisan but they don’t come with the Vanos unit.

Last edited by E11even; 01-08-2024, 04:41 AM.

Comment

I had never heard of replacing the the S62 washers and diaphragm. Apparently you guys think it makes a difference? Is this a part that is external to the Vanos or will the Vanos have to be opened up?

Comment

Originally posted by YoungDinosaur View Post
            I had never heard of replacing the the S62 washers and diaphragm. Apparently you guys think it makes a difference? Is this a part that is external to the Vanos or will the Vanos have to be opened up?
            It’s part of cam gear / hub assembly.

I think it’s debated to use these or not. I’ve haven’t noticed any issues but I don’t track my car. I would say use OEM if there is any concern.

https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-info-thread
            Last edited by E11even; 01-08-2024, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the additional info. E11even it looks like I'll pretty much follow your shopping list except for the S62 springs and the anti rattle kit. When I talked to Beisan on the phone, they said there was no need for the anti-rattle kit when buying the brand new Vanos.

And I appreciate bmwfnatic 's concern about if this is needed at all. I've gone back and forth on this but if I were ever to need to sell the car it seems like you get killed at auction for not addressing this issue. bmwfnatic is this the anti-rattle kit that you were suggesting? https://drvanos.com/collections/s54-...-reduction-kit . Does it really make that big of a difference?

Comment

A huge chunk of change can be saved by going with the essentials and not throwing the whole catalog at it -

Redrilled VANOS Oil Pump Disc
                Beisan Upper Chain Guide
                Beisan VANOS O-ring kit
                Beisan sealing plate O-ring kit
                BMW updated torx bolts
                Elring VANOS gasket

After doing one VANOS with the entire catalog of parts, you realize which parts are essential for the second go around. At 62k miles, I would not touch the rattle kit, VANOS line or even the solenoid pack (easily replaced at a later date if/when it fails). The main thing is that the pump disc is re-drilled and the chain guide is refreshed. If the VANOS passes the VANOS test with good numbers, I'd even skip the VANOS seal kit. A VANOS unit with 62k should have a lot of service life left in it.

Comment

I was pretty bored a month ago and decided to also plan out my vanos plan of attack when the car comes out of hibernation. Here was the shopping list (with torque specs!) that I came up with. Attached.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
                    A huge chunk of change can be saved by going with the essentials and not throwing the whole catalog at it -

Redrilled VANOS Oil Pump Disc
                    Beisan Upper Chain Guide
                    Beisan VANOS O-ring kit
                    Beisan sealing plate O-ring kit
                    BMW updated torx bolts
                    Elring VANOS gasket

After doing one VANOS with the entire catalog of parts, you realize which parts are essential for the second go around. At 62k miles, I would not touch the rattle kit, VANOS line or even the solenoid pack (easily replaced at a later date if/when it fails). The main thing is that the pump disc is re-drilled and the chain guide is refreshed. If the VANOS passes the VANOS test with good numbers, I'd even skip the VANOS seal kit. A VANOS unit with 62k should have a lot of service life left in it.
                    Agreed. I did the whole thing at 40k miles or so and don’t necessarily regret it because it was only $400 at the time … but most of it wasn’t really necessary.

Re: S62 washers, it’s not going to ruin response time. Mine tested under 200ms afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post

Agreed. I did the whole thing at 40k miles or so and don’t necessarily regret it because it was only $400 at the time … but most of it wasn’t really necessary.

Re: S62 washers, it’s not going to ruin response time. Mine tested under 200ms afterwards.
                      First one, I did the S62 springs because of the whole "while you're in there". Second one, I just reused the perfectly good S54 springs.

Comment

Here's my final order list:
                        Beisan New Vanos $1,500.00
                        Beisan Exhaust Sprocket Hub $300.00
                        Beisan Exhaust Upper Chain Guide $80.00
                        Beisan New o-rings for oil flow regulator $10.00
                        Dr Vanos S54 Upper Chain Guide $68.00
                        Dr Vanos Cam Bolts $40.00
                        Dr Vanos Oil Line $74.00
                        Dr Vanos S54 Modified Exhaust Gear $125.00
                        FCP Euro Vanos Gasket $10.00
                        FCP Euro Valve Cover Gasket $107.00
                        Labor $1,000.00
                        $3,314.00

Comment

Take a look at the “S54 Vanos Info” thread, link in my Sig. DIY and save $1,000. 🤔
                          TTFS Engine/SMG Tune - CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA
                          Brembo 996 - ARC-8's - BWS 500S 9k/11k - Valentine 1 - BlueBus - Orion V4's
                          Evolve Eventuri
                          - VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser/CSL Trunk

Comment

Originally posted by WOLFN8TR View Post
                            Take a look at the “S54 Vanos Info” thread, link in my Sig. DIY and save $1,000. 🤔
                            OP could save 2k in just parts, but insists on replacing everything.

Comment

New Vanos​
                              Can save yourself about 1250$ by just getting a pump disk and all seals from Beisan, there's nothing to benefit from replacing a 62k mile VANOS.

Exhaust Sprocket Hub​
                              Inspect yours first, if it is not broken or damaged, no need to replace, I have seen 200k mile ones that are still in one piece, saves 400$.

Exhaust Upper Chain Guide​
                              A good "while-you-are-in-there", can't go wrong with that.

New o-rings for oil flow regulator​
                              I actually don't see these on the Beisan website, but if you mean for the little part that sticks from the VANOS into the head, that's fine.

S54 Upper Chain Guide​
                              Not sure why we are replacing this, generally don't see much wear on these, if you insist, FCPEuro has it cheaper.

Cam Bolts​
                              As I said in my first reply, these are just the original BMW parts, I am not certain these are improved at all over the original design, I personally use 12.9 versions like Lang sells.

Oil Line
                              I wouldn't use this, looks tacky, the updated original BMW piece is a fine replacement.

S54 Modified Exhaust Gear
                              Another reason why I don't like Dr.Vanos, why just sell one of these, why not both.
                              For this money just buy the Beisan Rattle Kit and Tool, then you can do both intake and exhaust, but as others have said, might not even be needed at your milage.
                              Last edited by bmwfnatic; 02-08-2024, 10:22 AM.
                              E46 ///M3 • 12/2002 • phönix-gelb • 6MT
                              E39 ///M5 • 12/1998 • avus-blau • 6MT
                              E60 ///M5 • 11/2006 • saphir-schwarz • 6MT

Comment

Working...
                              X