S54 Intake Sound Question/Debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post

What are your thoughts on going from AFE to Eventuri? Enough difference in sound to be worth several hundreds of bucks?
    The Eventuri is fun. But it’s not an easy decision on how to respond. Maybe it’s worth it if you don’t intend on tuning the engine or going full CSL and you’re staying street. It’s a toss up honestly. The AFE works quite nicely, tuners are familiar with it if you change your mind and want to do that, and it has good sound.

Note: actually went from OE to Eventuri to AFE. Then on to CSL intake. My other M3 has the K&N.

Sorry to waffle - just not a slam dunk for the Eventuri

Comment

Originally posted by OldRanger View Post

The Eventuri is fun. But it’s not an easy decision on how to respond. Maybe it’s worth it if you don’t intend on tuning the engine or going full CSL and you’re staying street. It’s a toss up honestly. The AFE works quite nicely, tuners are familiar with it if you change your mind and want to do that, and it has good sound.

Note: actually went from OE to Eventuri to AFE. Then on to CSL intake. My other M3 has the K&N.

I’ve always viewed the Eventuri as the “I’m in California and I’d like to keep passing inspections” without any work option. And I don’t blame people for taking that route. What a hassle.
      3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by OldRanger View Post

Right on, TBH I'm going to just leave it alone for now. I have bigger fish to fry and I don't dislike how it sounds with my exhaust.
        http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
        '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
        '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post

I’ve always viewed the Eventuri as the “I’m in California and I’d like to keep passing inspections” without any work option. And I don’t blame people for taking that route. What a hassle.
          Eventuri is not CARB exempt, so technically you still do need to put the stock intake or some other approved intake back on. Like AFE or K&N, hence the dilemma. Or... You have to "know a guy," at which point, may as well just have the CSL box.
          http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
          '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
          '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post

Eventuri is not CARB exempt, so technically you still do need to put the stock intake or some other approved intake back on. Like AFE or K&N, hence the dilemma. Or... You have to "know a guy," at which point, may as well just have the CSL box.
            Holy crap, I didn't know that. Ahhh Tennessee...

3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Does the gruppe M intake have any sound benefit? Seems like it should be similar to the eventuri except it has a snorkel to the front kidneys

im also in CA trying to figure out what to do

Comment

Originally posted by E46 M3 View Post
                If you only care about sound just get an Eventuri + sound generator and you'll be 95% there without all the hassle of a CSL box.

https://youtu.be/nsXUZSa3W6U

Do you know other people who have tried this sound generator? Definitely curious. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Teemmy View Post

Do you know other people who have tried this sound generator? Definitely curious. Thanks!
                  I went to his instagram which said it was available via a link his bio, but that didnt go anywhere useful. I search some more of his posts and stories but didn't really get anywhere. I didn't send him a PM, but hes based in Europe.

Comment

Move?

2004 Dinan S3-R M3
                    2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

Originally posted by jayjaya29 View Post
                      I went to his instagram which said it was available via a link his bio, but that didnt go anywhere useful. I search some more of his posts and stories but didn't really get anywhere. I didn't send him a PM, but hes based in Europe.
                      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Does the gruppe M intake have any sound benefit? Seems like it should be similar to the eventuri except it has a snorkel to the front kidneys

Sounds good to me. It is pretty clearly a better design as well. I'm not a fan of intakes that just open into the engine bay. That said, I got mine used and probably would not pay the new price. Would not pay the Eventuri price either.

Comment

thank you, I’ll take a look!

Comment

Interesting, pretty reasonably priced too if you're just looking to enjoy the natural acoustics.
                            '04 LSB Coupe 6MT
                            All my money goes towards maintenance.

Comment

Originally posted by E46 M3 View Post
                              If you only care about sound just get an Eventuri + sound generator and you'll be 95% there without all the hassle of a CSL box.

https://youtu.be/nsXUZSa3W6U
                              The SG sounds crazy! Definitely going to look into that.

Comment

If you have an exhaust, do not get a CSL intake.

You won't hear it.
                                2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
                                2005 BMW ///M3
                                Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
                                2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
                                2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
                                2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Working...
                                X