S54 Intake Sound Question/Debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post
    If you have an exhaust, do not get a CSL intake.

You won't hear it.
    With all due respect, I'm not sure I agree. I have a custom rear section and a Karbonious airbox and I can absolutely hear the gloriously intoxicating sound emanating from both ends (see what I did there), sooo.... 🤷‍♂️

2005 BMW M3 (6MT) Instagram
    2021 BMW M340i

Need to stock up on some detailing products or spiff up your garage, then use my Obsessed Garage link!

My Slow Burn (M3 build thread)
    My DOUBLE thread (garage build)

Comment

I have the haimus box and it is worth every penny. WOT high in the rev range with the windows down is unbeatable. I have catless headers and an el diablo exhaust with catted section 1 as well. Not a terribly loud exhaust set up, but not quiet. I don't feel like it interferes with the intake sound too much.

Comment

Originally posted by eforty6_m3 View Post

With all due respect, I'm not sure I agree. I have a custom rear section and a Karbonious airbox and I can absolutely hear the gloriously intoxicating sound emanating from both ends (see what I did there), sooo.... 🤷‍♂️
        Depends on what custom rear end. My friend has a Friedrich Titanium exhaust and that thing just completely overpowers the intake. I have a OM Scorza and I can hear my Airbox quite well. Recently I also removed the sound insulation on both sides of the firewall, now I can hear it even better 😁

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 7 mit Tapatalk

Comment

+1 on the CSL intake. I had the Karbonius CSL intake on my car and loved every minute of it! Will be up for sale as soon as I’m allowed to and will come with install kit! 🤙🏻
          edit: I’ll also add that the CSL intake is definitely loud, even with a head to section 3 exhaust. The difference in intake vs exhaust sound was very clear to me.
          Last edited by Notan_S54; 03-16-2024, 03:00 PM.

Comment

+1 on the CSL intake as well. Had an exhaust prior to install and thought to myself the intake wasn't as loud as I'd hoped. Then I went stock muffler (with high flow cats in section 1) and entire experience changed i.e. dial got turned to 11.
            | 06 6 Speed Vert - JB on Cinnamon| Beisan | ACL Rod Bearings | ST Sway Bar | TMS CSL Box | Megan headers | H.T.E Tune | 550 Injectors | OEM Section 1, 2, 3| 200 Cell Cats | OEM SSK | Bilstein B12| 712 yellow tag |

Comment

Oh, and if you are worried about smog, karbonius now makes an oem carbon intake that produces the sound and uses the maf; so that may pass California inspections if it’s just the plug in test.

Comment

Originally posted by Notan_S54 View Post
                Oh, and if you are worried about smog, karbonius now makes an oem carbon intake that produces the sound and uses the maf; so that may pass California inspections if it’s just the plug in test.
                It’s a visual inspection too. Some places might turn a blind eye but a big ass carbon fiber intake manifold is really asking for it lol.
                http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Has anyone tried this? I would be curious as to the sound comparison to a CSL. It claims most of that without the tuning headaches.
                  *EXCLUSIVELY FROM IND* IND is proud to offer this discounted ultimate intake package for S54-equipped vehicles featuring carbon components from some of the best in the industry: Karbonius Composites and Eventuri! S54 enthusiasts that are after that infamous M3 CSL intake roar, but aren't willing to undertake the significant hurdles associated with installing the CSL carbon airbox need not look any further. By combining Karbonius' new OEM Style Carbon Airbox with Eventuri's tried and true S54 Black Carbon Intake System, you're ensured as close to a CSL airbox sound and performance without the involved install, additional parts, wiring, and tuning. This is especially beneficial to Z4M owners as the car used a completely different ECU than the E46 M3 so therefore a complete CSL conversion with MAP and IAT sensors along with intake flap control was near impossible. NOTE: E85 / E86 Z4M Package does NOT include the lower carbon intake scoop and instead comes with the red kidney grille duct. The E46 M3 SMG package includes a genuine CSL SMG reservoir with bracket. Package Details: Includes Karbonius Part# E46AD09 and Eventuri Part# EVE-E46-CF-INT or EVE-Z4M-CF-INT. No remap software required, but any S54 MAF-enabled software is compatible 100% carbon prepreg components Saves more than 10lbs from vs OE intake components Direct fit for 2001-2004 M3 models; no modification required 2005-2006 M3 models and Z4 require pre-2005 throttle body boots and modified crankcase breather hose (see installed photos) E46 M3 SMG package includes OEM M3 CSL SMG reservoir and bracket; OE mounting location is drivers' side strut tower Application Guide: E46 M3 6-Speed and SMG E85 / E86 Z4M

Comment

Originally posted by ViN View Post
                    Has anyone tried this? I would be curious as to the sound comparison to a CSL. It claims most of that without the tuning headaches.
                    https://ind-distribution.com/collect...fGd_Osgmr_2o0Q
                    Looks like the greedy pricks at IND raised the price a few hundred bucks on this combo kit.
                    Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Is better than stock plus Eventuri for sure, but I would say is not as loud, perhaps 80% of the volume. The sound is also a bit different as is higher in pitch and not as gutural as the CSL.

i have the two setups, what you posted above and an actual CSL Karb.

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post

It’s a visual inspection too. Some places might turn a blind eye but a big ass carbon fiber intake manifold is really asking for it lol.
                        Yeah I can’t imagine the intake being mistaken for oem on our cars lol

It’s rough being a car enthusiast and wanting these sought after mods haha!

Comment

Originally posted by maupineda View Post
                          Is better than stock plus Eventuri for sure, but I would say is not as loud, perhaps 80% of the volume. The sound is also a bit different as is higher in pitch and not as gutural as the CSL.

i have the two setups, what you posted above and an actual CSL Karb.
                          This was what I was looking for! After having the Karb CSL box on my car it was time to move to a setup that didn’t require removing every two years. Good to know the eventuri + oem style setup still makes ~80% of the noise

Comment

This was what I was looking for! After having the Karb CSL box on my car it was time to move to a setup that didn’t require removing every two years. Good to know the eventuri + oem style setup still makes ~80% of the noise
                            This was my path, Karb CSL to Karb OE + Eventuri. I do not regret it but I sometimes miss the deep growl from the CSL intake. Power wise is the same, and drivability is same as factory.

Comment

Originally posted by Teemmy View Post
                              Does the gruppe M intake have any sound benefit? Seems like it should be similar to the eventuri except it has a snorkel to the front kidneys
                              GruppeM is louder than stock but not as loud as Eventuri (which is an open filter inside engine bay). GruppeM a better design power wise. But the thread is about more intake sound so not the design you’re after.
                              6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Do you have a link to this new intake?

Comment

Working...
                                X