Going to the dealer for Airbag Recall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to the dealer for Airbag Recall

I still need to take care of the airbag recall. Minimal driving the past two years I was waiting for my suspension to arrive.

Nervous about dropping my car off at the dealer, any tips I should know or prepare before hand? Last thing I need is a sloppy technician scratching up all the new black interior bits I replaced.

Call and ask for the mobile replacement service. Then disassemble everything yourself the day before they show up.
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

When I had mine in a few years ago they “conveniently” updated my DME with the latest software without my knowing until I picked up the car. At the time I didn’t have a tune so you may want to make sure you tel them to do nothing but the airbag. Heinz’s advice seem the best to me so far. Didn’t know that was an option!

Comment

Yep! They used to advertise the mobile service more when the campaign started, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. You can still call and request it though.
        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

I just took it in. Remove your trim first and take photos. Then just pray.

Comment

^ Same. I took it in with the dash trim removed and the airbag barely on the steering wheel so they don’t ruin the back of the steering wheel prying with a flathead. All they had to do at that point was just pull it off and click in the new airbag. Or so I hoped that’s how it went.

Comment

^ i can remove the dash trim, but can you elaborate on how or what to prep/remove on the steering wheel?

Getting ready to call and have mine done soon and yes they gave me a phone number to request the mobile repair at my location. I hope they have both sides to be done in one go.
              My brother took in his e46 330ci to the dealer twice and did one side at a time due to availability.

Comment

I outlined this a little in my build thread if you’re interested. I called the number provided on the mailed recall slip. Spoke to a rep at BMW NA. They coordinated with local dealerships and found one that could send out a mobile tech. They arranged everything.

I did all the prep work, removed everything and put a moving blanket across the front area. The tech literally dropped the new airbag into place and left without removing a single trim piece or tightening any of the nuts (at my request).
                Last edited by Avedis; 01-31-2024, 06:16 PM.

Comment

I wonder if they're the reason why my tune doesn't retain sport mode anymore. May need to investigate. Might not even have an Fn tune anymore...

maw

Comment

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post
                    I wonder if they're the reason why my tune doesn't retain sport mode anymore. May need to investigate. Might not even have an Fn tune anymore...

maw
                    I took mine in 4/2020--picked up and the guy said, "oh we flashed with the emissions TSB software", I said I deliberately did NOT bring it in for that..."oh you didn't have a tune did you?". Fn idiots. Shortly after, my cat efficiency codes started. Not sure if related, but anyway. Dealer PITA.

Comment

F*ck I just don't want to chase down retunes for power and SMG... Oh well, I was thinking of upgrading to the Build Journal or HTE anyway, and the cost is such that it's literally cheaper than me chasing retunes.

maw

Comment

Originally posted by Halftim3 View Post
                        ^ i can remove the dash trim, but can you elaborate on how or what to prep/remove on the steering wheel?

Getting ready to call and have mine done soon and yes they gave me a phone number to request the mobile repair at my location. I hope they have both sides to be done in one go.
                        My brother took in his e46 330ci to the dealer twice and did one side at a time due to availability.
                        Basically I used a flathead before bringing it in to properly pop out the airbag from the tabs but keep it attached just enough to not fall out and keep the wires still plugged in, as to not spark an airbag light, since they have to drive it around back. If I was doing the mobile service though I’d just take the whole airbag out since they don’t have to drive the car around and you can just keep the car turned off which also = no airbag light.
                        Last edited by sbay; 01-31-2024, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PSUEng View Post

I took mine in 4/2020--picked up and the guy said, "oh we flashed with the emissions TSB software", I said I deliberately did NOT bring it in for that..."oh you didn't have a tune did you?". Fn idiots. Shortly after, my cat efficiency codes started. Not sure if related, but anyway. Dealer PITA.
                          I'd be irritated as well, but the situation is chuckle-worthy. 🤣

Comment

They should not flash the car for an airbag recall. Its a simple R&R. If they said the flashed the car or updated the software, ask for the ISTA test plan which will have the step by step instructions. They need to print it for the warranty payment from BMW so they have it.

Dealers will do recall campaigns to get cars in to do a multi-point inspection and find stuff. They will also sell you stuff like the 3 year oil change plan which is mostly a waste for non-turbo cars. BUT...the dealer might have value service. If they do, the brakes are usually a really good deal - parts at cost and discounted labor.

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
                              Yep! They used to advertise the mobile service more when the campaign started, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. You can still call and request it though.
                              A video about Toyota’s airbag recall just popped up for me on YouTube. It was mentioned that they put out a “do not drive” notice… meaning they don’t want to be liable for people to drive to the dealer for the recall. Now that’s a great tip to demand a mobile service!!

Comment

Working...
                              X