Help With Top Side Reinforcement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help With Top Side Reinforcement

I'm quite familiar with all the bottom RACP reinforcement options, holding Redish, CMP, and BW's latest version in high regard. However, when it comes to the top side, I'm uncertain which ones are good, better, or the best.

Vincebar, from his video and explanation, gets placed into the RACP by cutting out a layer, and it's either welded or epoxy in. It also seems that there's the ability to apply BMW cavity filler on the sides.

CMP requires cutting a layer and can be welded or epoxy.

Redish keeps its design a secret because it keeps getting stolen and copied.
    Last edited by Cronenberged; 02-05-2024, 05:24 AM.

You also need to cut a layer when installing CMP
    2002 BMW E46 M3 TiAg 6mt Track car project
    2006 BMW E46 M3 Individual Estoril blue/Black 6mt
    2019 BMW X3 M40i Phytonic blue/Tartufo Individual

Comment

Originally posted by Gt4 View Post
      You also need to cut a layer when installing CMP
      Edited thank you.

Comment

Comment

CMP is more a weld option vs epoxy honestly.

Comment

Keep in mind the CMP topside RACP reinforcement comes as individual plates that need to be welded together to form the box section. High quality pieces, but more welding.

Comment

Originally posted by Gt4 View Post
              CMP is more a weld option vs epoxy honestly.
              What are the drilled holes in the bench area for?

I'm quite familiar with all the bottom RACP reinforcement options, holding Redish, CMP, and BW's latest version in high regard. However, when it comes to the top side, I'm uncertain which ones are good, better, or the best. Vincebar, from his video and explanation, gets placed into the RACP by cutting out a layer, and it's

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerfan08 View Post

What are the drilled holes in the bench area for?

https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...017#post252017
                Holes are there so you weld thru the CMP plates and also on perimeter

Comment

between top side reinforcement options and the popular v-braces that tie into the strut towers (puretech, DMG, rogue)

is there established agreement whether one is stronger/weaker or if they're about the same?

Comment

IMO the brace is a good option if you want to have a track car look and loose trunk space

I would only do those brace as part of a weld in roll bar.

Comment

Originally posted by Cronenberged View Post
                      Redish keeps its design a secret because it keeps getting stolen and copied.
                      I have their V3 plates about to go on my car, and yea they are somewhat secretive about it. I get that, I deal with IP and copyright issues in my industry. But on the other hand, there are a number of videos showing the plates clearly, and showing the installation method, so yea. Very hard to police that. The plates also come with a 45 page manual, which has a lot of good general info about RACP failure and repair. Overall for like $220 US it's a good product and a fair price IMO, considering all the time those guys have put into everything E46 related over the years, and all the free knowledge they share openly on their YouTube.

Basically the top side rear plates are like the sides of a Vince Bar kind of, two plates and two chassis leg support plates. They are supposed to be welded through to the underside plates to connect everything top and bottom on each side. I think that's right but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

There are two plates for the front mounts as well but they are not structural, they are designed with access so you can inspect the inside of the panel periodically and watch for failed welds developing. Again someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm actually not going to use any of their top side plates, I have opted for a 6-point Yurkan Cages brace.

Also no two people agree on anything on this entire subject matter. There's no concise answer on how to do it. Everyone thinks one thing is the best and the other solutions are shit. Very difficult to navigate. Eventually you just have to make your bed and sleep in it.
                      http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                      '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                      '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

I just did the CMP brace on the front, and the DMG RACP in the rear.

No idea what's the "best", but the instructions for the CMP brace are awfully thorough.

Click image for larger version

Name:	racp.png
Views:	311
Size:	612.3 KB
ID:	252333
                        2004 Dinan S3-R M3
                        2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

Originally posted by 9kracing View Post
                          I just did the CMP brace on the front, and the DMG RACP in the rear.

No idea what's the "best", but the instructions for the CMP brace are awfully thorough.

Name:	racp.png
Views:	311
Size:	612.3 KB
ID:	252333
                          9kracing - This is pretty cool! Question: for the DMG brace, did you do any topside beams (welded/epoxy) or just the brace itself?

Nate047 - You're a Champion man, I've never heard of Yurkan before. So no topside beam for you either, just the point brace? Did a quick search and he just released one of these a few weeks ago:

Name:	Yurkan.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	252342
                          | 06 6 Speed Vert - JB on Cinnamon| Beisan | ACL Rod Bearings | ST Sway Bar | TMS CSL Box | Megan headers | H.T.E Tune | 550 Injectors | OEM Section 1, 2, 3| 200 Cell Cats | OEM SSK | Bilstein B12| 712 yellow tag |

Comment

I've done both Reddish V3 and several Vincebars. My opinion as an installer is that they are both great solutions (and from great people!) but the amount of prepping, cutting, welding, finishing etc is fairly substantial. And take this with a grain of salt as I'm no engineer but I do wonder if there could be downsides to the sheer amount of welding involved (heat/fatigue?). No comebacks or issues though FWIW.

I like a somewhat simpler and less intrusive solution. My go to is AKG lower plates which are beefy and offer a good foot print + CMP stage 1.5 chassis rail plates (more or less the same thing as the Reddish V3 uppers or a Vincebar "light" you could say).

Reddish V3 uppers:

Click image for larger version  Name:	30.jpg Views:	0 Size:	120.5 KB ID:	252431

Click image for larger version  Name:	40.jpg Views:	0 Size:	203.1 KB ID:	252432

CMP: "stage 1.5 chassis rail" reinforcement. I just basically cut open a "lid", weld the reinforcement, then fold the "lid" back into place, tack in a few spots and done.

Click image for larger version  Name:	34.jpg Views:	0 Size:	208.3 KB ID:	252433

Click image for larger version  Name:	59.jpg Views:	0 Size:	186.9 KB ID:	252434
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by kaiv; 02-07-2024, 08:47 PM.
                            IG: @limited.slip

Imola Red E46 330i ZHP Sedan S54 6MT
                            Alpine White E90 M3 6MT
                            Alpine White 1 Series M
                            A̶l̶p̶i̶n̶e̶ W̶h̶i̶t̶e̶ E̶4̶6̶ 3̶2̶5̶i̶ T̶o̶u̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ S̶5̶4̶ 6̶M̶T̶
                            T̶i̶t̶a̶n̶i̶u̶m̶ S̶i̶l̶v̶e̶r̶ E̶3̶9̶ 5̶4̶0̶i̶ M̶-̶S̶p̶o̶r̶t̶ ​T̶o̶u̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ S̶6̶2̶ 6̶M̶T̶

Comment

Originally posted by siamkazi View Post
                              Nate047 - You're a Champion man, I've never heard of Yurkan before. So no topside beam for you either, just the point brace?
                              Yessir just doing the underside plates and the 6-point brace up top should suffice. It's also fairly easy to unbolt the brace and look at the top side of the RACP upper layer to see if any issues are developing, so for me, this is a good solution. If I wanted full interior it would be a different story.
                              http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                              '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                              '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Working...
                              X