Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who's Using the DB9 Caliper Brackets?

Hey guys-here's the situation I'm in:
    I have a 60k mile E46 M3 going to the Cleveland Auto Show and I ordered the VBT DB9 brackets and CSL rotors.
    Surprise- they no longer ship to the US; they will not sell to us.

I've created a prototype of a bracket as a 3D print, and it's currently holding my DB9 calipers on. I'm going to see if I can make them for folks in the US who want to utilize that BBK upgrade after I tinker with the fitment a little more and convert them to steel. If anybody has photos of the kit they're using for the DB9 calipers, could you post them here so I can recreate the strongest, best fitting kit out there?

If not, I understand, I just figured I would ask some fellow enthusiasts. It's a great upgrade, but there's no way to do it in the US anymore.

Thank you!!​

Epsilon I got your DM, but I'm a freshman here, so I can't respond. Lol. Email me and we'll work something out.

ecroy@definitivemotorwerk.com

Thank you!

Comment

I have the VBT DB9 brackets, Aston calipers, and CSL/ZCP rotors. I'm running Porsche calipers and ZCP/CSL rotors on the rear. I've had zero issues with them, It's a great setup for the money IMHO. It's a shame you can't get them here in the states anymore.

I have a bunch more if you want, just PM me.
      Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread
      Japanrot Red E46 330i Msport Build Thread
      TiAg E46 324i k24/dct/turbo Build Thread

Comment

Will these DB9 calipers clear a donut spare? I too tried to get the VBT kit...but I think I found another way.
        Last edited by PSUEng; 02-13-2024, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PSUEng View Post
          Will these DB9 calipers clear a donut spare? I too tried to get the VBT kit...but I think I found another way.
          No idea if it clears a spare, but AAA clears all brake setups.

Comment

I run DB9s. I ordered from VBT in 2018.

Edit: Not sure why it rotated the image for me

Click image for larger versionName:	IMG_20210308_200221.jpgViews:	0Size:	97.9 KBID:	253708
            Last edited by newton22; 02-16-2024, 08:36 AM.

Comment

What pads are you guys running? I'll post some pics of my stuff later today, I have to start assembling the front end anyway.
              http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
              '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
              '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

I run Centric Posi Quiet D1001 63-105-1001 for the DB9 (you can grab them from zeckhausen.com or rockauto.com etc). They're quiet, don't make much mess, work fine in wet/cold, and are just fine street pads. I've never had any fad on the street. The initial bite when cold is a bit meh, but once you get a bit of heat in them they're great. And for the money - they're like $75 - it's a fantastic choice IMHO.

Comment

Just to add, zeckhausen.com has all the caliper rebuild parts and a bunch of pad options all in one place: https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/i...th=440_441_442

Comment

Our caliper bracket is almost done; it will be for the 345mm rotor without the spacer. The spacer works, but a one-piece design makes me feel a little better about it.

Comment

My setup

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0920.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	254944
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0923.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	254945
                      '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

OP did you decide to make the brackets?

Comment

Are those the same callipers that are part of the Freakyparts Renault RS kit? They look similar..

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.wReckless View Post
                            Are those the same callipers that are part of the Freakyparts Renault RS kit? They look similar..

Regards
                            They are not the same, however, look very similar. The Aston has a 40/44 brake caliper piston size, while the Renault's has a 40/40. The smaller piston in the Renault calipers gives it a more rear bias brake bias which is closer to stock - by like 1%. You'll probably never notice the difference.

If I was doing this again I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Aston or Renault kit, they're both very similar and look better than the Porsche caliper IMHO.

It should be noted that the older Brembo GT 355mm kit for e46m3's (4-piston caliper) used the same 40/44 piston size.

Here is a picture of the Brembo GT caliper from my old car.

Comment

The 44/40 pistons should also help to avoid the tapered pad wear from the 40/40 pistons that people have reported.
                              '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Working...
                              X