Non-996 based options for BBK calipers - rear only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non-996 based options for BBK calipers - rear only

I currently have Freakyparts Megane based front Brembo calipers on e90 rotors and rear 996 calipers on ZCP rotors on my 04 M3. I love the setup, on street and track … has removed all of my brake issues, great brake feel, etc.

The only problem on the street is noise from the rear 996 calipers. They squeal pretty bad, especially once warmed up. I am familiar with these calipers in general (had them on an air cooled 911 in the past) and know the trials and tribulations folks go through to eliminate this noise. I have done most of these myself - chamfered pads, all new piston dampers and sticky pucks, etc. This has worked off and on throughout the time I’ve had these on my car.

My question is even if someone came up with a new whiz bang trick to keep them quiet, should I move to another caliper that is less susceptible to noise? For example, I have absolutely no issues with my front. I also know on 911s once they changed the caliper design complaints on squeal went away.

Any other options for Brembo calipers on our M3s for the rear only (I’m going to keep my fronts)? I understand I will have to check the piston size to make sure bias is ok. Just looking for options. I think the Aston Martin and E31 options relate to front calipers only and rely on 996 rears.

I’d like to keep my ZCP rotors and would prefer similar Brembo four piston calipers to match my fronts. I’ve looked at the 135i rears, but they are two piston. I’d also like to stick to a caliper that I don’t have to take off to change brake pads (for the track).

First world problems I know…​
    Attached Files
    ‘04 M3

Do you have the RR brackets and the larger pad?
    Did you flip the calipers and lines around, this is needed because on the 996 the calipers are in front of the axle.

Otherwise actual Brembo GT calipers is always an option
    E46 ///M3 • 12/2002 • phönix-gelb • 6MT
    E39 ///M5 • 12/1998 • avus-blau • 6MT
    E60 ///M5 • 11/2006 • saphir-schwarz • 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by bmwfnatic View Post
      Do you have the RR brackets and the larger pad?
      Did you flip the calipers and lines around, this is needed because on the 996 the calipers are in front of the axle.

Otherwise actual Brembo GT calipers is always an option
      OP.. I’m going to follow this thread as I’m having the same issue with my rear 996 calipers being noisy.

bmwfnatic please don’t flame me! What do you mean by flipping the calipers around in the rear ?

Comment

Originally posted by c watson View Post

OP.. I’m going to follow this thread as I’m having the same issue with my rear 996 calipers being noisy.

bmwfnatic please don’t flame me! What do you mean by flipping the calipers around in the rear ?

It is necessary to modify the rear calipers so that the leading piston is the smaller of the two as it's supposed to be. The reason for this action is that Porsche mounts their rear caliper in the opposite way as our E46s, so we must flip it, but also need to move cross pipes to the "bottom" due to gravity- bleeders on top. In order to do so, you're not swapping left caliper to right side and vice versa. Left caliper will still be left, but you're swapping the cross over pipes from left to right and vice versa, but also from front to back. So bleeders will go where the pipe is and pipe from opposite caliper will go where bleeders were on first caliper. To restate, left caliper will take right caliper's cross pipe, but in the opposite side of the caliper (switch with bleeders).
        Quote from Tbonem3 his DIY thread, effectively you are turning the calipers upside down.
        E46 ///M3 • 12/2002 • phönix-gelb • 6MT
        E39 ///M5 • 12/1998 • avus-blau • 6MT
        E60 ///M5 • 11/2006 • saphir-schwarz • 6MT

Comment

The dampers are supposed to work. They have adhesive on them to prevent the pads from vibrating. Even then, the Porsche pads are not designed to be quiet with BMW rotors. They are going to make noise. Porsche has $100 anti squeak spray. I don't have dampers and my brakes are loud. The fronts are especially loud. Oh well. Braking is 10 times better
          Last edited by Arith2; 02-11-2024, 06:02 AM.
          This is my Unbuild Journal and why we need an oil thread
          https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...nbuild-journal

"Do it right once or do it twice"

Comment

Yes I have the RR bracket, flipped the calipers, bleeds etc. I also have the larger pad to prevent the rust ring. The problem as well is that I switch between track and street pads, so the sticky pucks lose their stickiness (I’d prefer not to have to but new ones every time I swap pads). But again I’m looking for other options so I don’t have to mess with all of it …
            Last edited by Maxhouse97; 02-11-2024, 06:46 AM.
            ‘04 M3

Comment

Did Porsche/Brembo update the calipers part way through the 996 or only in later cars? Surprised to hear about the squeaking issues, I have none of that with my street pads (OEM Textar). I don't use the anti squeak things either or any grease between pistons and pad backing.

My DS1.11 track pads squeak obviously but when I'm running those I'm typically in the mood for cool race car brake sounds.

Comment

I had some squealing issues initially, and all I had to do to fix it was to use tue red shim from the Brembo ceramic pads, I scrap the pads and kept the anti noise shim.

Comment

Have zero squeaking or squealing issues with a full 996 front/rear setup. It can be done.
                  Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

What was the part number of the Brembo ceramic pads?
                    ‘04 M3

Comment

Working...
                    X