Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED bulb in Side Markers

Has anyone used an LED in the side marker/indicator, like so:
    For a stylish drive, upgrade to Philips Ultinon Pro6000 LED-AMB [˜W5W] side repeaters. Their intense amber color looks great and increases visibility so you can signal safely and stylishly.

Also, what is the best way to remove the side marker - push towards the front of rear?

Here you go
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8544.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	253853
    E46 ///M3 • 12/2002 • phönix-gelb • 6MT
    E39 ///M5 • 12/1998 • avus-blau • 6MT
    E60 ///M5 • 11/2006 • saphir-schwarz • 6MT

Comment

No one ever used an LED in the side marker?

Comment

Just did this yesterday on a Z4M, the led runs dimmed on all the time and takes a bit more than a minute to go off after shutting the car. Not sure I like that. It does not trigger an error since those bulbs are not monitored, but kind of looks broken to have it on dimmed. Some may think is cool as it can be like a DRL, but is so dimmed that I do not think serves that purpose, and to me is like if had an electrical problem.

Comment

Originally posted by maupineda View Post
          Just did this yesterday on a Z4M, the led runs dimmed on all the time and takes a bit more than a minute to go off after shutting the car. Not sure I like that. It does not trigger an error since those bulbs are not monitored, but kind of looks broken to have it on dimmed. Some may think is cool as it can be like a DRL, but is so dimmed that I do not think serves that purpose, and to me is like if had an electrical problem.
          This is not ideal at all... which LED did you use?

Comment

I run a chrome painted orange bulb in the side marker to avoid the led finickiness. Sounds like a resistor is needed with leds

Comment

Originally posted by T.J. View Post
              I run a chrome painted orange bulb in the side marker to avoid the led finickiness. Sounds like a resistor is needed with leds
              Yes, this was my concern, hence the thread.

I think I'll go with the OSRAM WY5W (501A) Amber Diadem Chrome; this seems to be cheapest retailer I can find (inc postage to Aus):

Great price on the OSRAM PY21W (581) Amber Diadem Chrome:

Comment

It's a stupid little side light you can't even see - do you really need LED?
                DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
                /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
                More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by maupineda View Post
                  Did you dig through the nxsexpert options for your LCM? On the E46 I see a couple options for monitoring of the side markers, which would make LED bulbs act like yours are. Might be worth looking into.
                  2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

I did not look into NCS options, but I unplugged the harness and they do not trigger any fault, so I do not think the LCM monitors this. Will check though for curiosity sake.

Comment

Working...
                    X