Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil pump replacement/ rebuild consensus

Hello guys,

i could not Find any specific info in various threads here.
    As I am doing rod bearings myself soon,

What is general consensus about oil pump when doing rod bearings? I can see some people preventative changing whole pump, some trying to rebuild and some doing nothing to it.

As I can recall, the is supposed to be problem with piston seizures resulting with reduced/ stopped oil pressure.
    And also shaft nut, which is more of an problem with M54, not sure if any problem here.

I could find burkhart engineering sells replacement piston and O- ring for rebuild.

thanks for insights

Just take it apart and inspect it, if there is no damage, put it back together.

For mine the piston was heavily scored beyond saving, the pump housing pitted and some more things I didn’t like, so I bought a new Pierburg unit, which is identical to genunine, just with the BMW logo ground off.
    E46 ///M3 • 12/2002 • phönix-gelb • 6MT
    E39 ///M5 • 12/1998 • avus-blau • 6MT
    E60 ///M5 • 11/2006 • saphir-schwarz • 6MT

Comment

Are any spare parts available for the engine oil pump?

Comment

how common is failure for these things? also doing rod bearings soon.

Comment

Burkhart sells piston and O-ring as a spare part for the oil pump.

Ersatzregelkolben für die Ölpumpe der S54-Motoren. Der neue Regelkolben erhält durch die DLC-Beschichtung eine ausgezeichnete Widerstandfähigkeit. Der ideale Ersatz bei einer

As I can see, they also offer the service, that you can send the oil pump to them a they will check and change the parts for you. I guess only relevant if you live in Europe.

Comment

There is also a coated replacement piston from bmw available for something like 60€. Posted the measurements somewhere some time ago here. But often when the piston is heavily worn/scored the pump is beyond repairable. Price of a pierburg unit is around 400€. At this price, it's not worth playing with the risk of a new crank in my opinion.
            …under construction.

Comment

Originally posted by S54B32 View Post
              There is also a coated replacement piston from bmw available for something like 60€. Posted the measurements somewhere some time ago here. But often when the piston is heavily worn/scored the pump is beyond repairable. Price of a pierburg unit is around 400€. At this price, it's not worth playing with the risk of a new crank in my opinion.
              Where are you seeing one for €400?

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post

Where are you seeing one for €400?
                Got mine here

1 Oil Pump PIERBURG 7.29140.02.0 BMW buy cheap! » Purchase on invoice ✓ Fast delivery ✓ Top quality ✓ Order now at Q-Parts24 Shop!

Comment

Originally posted by bmwfnatic View Post
                  Awesome thank you.

Comment

Piston...do you mean the pressure regulator?

I wonder if it would be helpful to get the gear lobes and end plates WPC treated or polished.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
                      Piston...do you mean the pressure regulator?

I wonder if it would be helpful to get the gear lobes and end plates WPC treated or polished.
                      I suspect the primary factor of oil pump damage is from foreign objects entering the oil pump, not really them being worn out from normal use.

Comment

Originally posted by bmwfnatic View Post

I suspect the primary factor of oil pump damage is from foreign objects entering the oil pump, not really them being worn out from normal use.
                        The piston (pressureregulation piston) wears also over time imo. I have seen good engines >200tkm that where absolut fine but the piston was very worn. Of course, if you have partikels like metal flakes in the pump it will wear near instant.
                        …under construction.

Comment

Ooops
                          Last edited by bigjae46; 02-24-2024, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
                            That’s not acceptable…
                            Wrong thread my man

3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post

Wrong thread my man
                              🤣🤣🤣

Comment

Working...
                              X