• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now this would be a legendary forum group buy / order
    '04 LSB Coupe 6MT
    All my money goes towards maintenance.

Comment

You should do some confirmation of measurements on that cad file. If it's the same one I have, the dimensions are incorrect in a few places on the block.

Edit: see images of the model vs the actual bell housing bolt pattern.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	50.3 KB ID:	256477
      Last edited by discoelk; 03-06-2024, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by discoelk View Post
        You should do some confirmation of measurements on that cad file. If it's the same one I have, the dimensions are incorrect in a few let places on the block.
        Is it in Italian ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes. It looks like someone's senior design project or something. Definitely not an OEM model.

Edit: it's better than nothing but I'd verify measurements before quoting parts or something.
          Last edited by discoelk; 03-01-2024, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Yes. It looks like someone's senior design project or something. Definitely not an OEM model.

Edit: it's better than nothing but I'd verify measurements before quoting parts or something.
            Yeah, If I were to go down the path I'd probably 3d print one, on a Bamboo 3d printer, and then compare measurements to an oem one.

Comment

I sent you a PM, have a question for you (Am also in Ga)

Comment

Originally posted by Stilt View Post
                I have CAD files for the rocker arms … and the entire S54. At this point (wait time wise), it might be worth it to CNC some and then get them sent off to get DLC coated.

BUT, I'm not sure how accurate the CAD file is. If I weren't so lazy I'd 3d print some and then pull a rocker arm off my car and take measurements to compare.

what is the source of the CAD so that you question its accuracy?

Comment

Hell yes, some CNC'd followers would be amazing, or maybe just maybe someday someone offerings a CNC'd short block.
                  2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
                  Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
                  Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
                  RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
                  Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Stilt View Post
                    I can share the files if anyone wants.​​​
                    PM sent
                    '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
                    Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
                    Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

yeah these CNC followers from some highschool project are going to be super cheap and high quality lol

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                        yeah these CNC followers from some highschool project are going to be super cheap and high quality lol
                        I doubt the super cheap part because whoever will make them will not let that happen lol.

Comment

What are you going to CNC them out of? What's the QC on the base material going to be? Are you going to have data on the metallurgy of the base material? There are many questions....
                          '07 M Coupe - RAC RG63 - AutoSolutions - Bilstein PSS10/B16 - Arqray

Comment

Originally posted by 1bluemcm View Post
                            What are you going to CNC them out of? What's the QC on the base material going to be? Are you going to have data on the metallurgy of the base material? There are many questions....
                            People are dreaming / wishful thinking and I don’t actually think being serious. There is no way the geometry is accurate and it’s not even suitable for CNC. The rockers from schrick and catcams are expensive for a reason and it’s not because they are trying to rip you off. you just arent going to make significantly cheaper ones that are actually any good. I have seen at least half a dozen different aftermarket rocker designs for various bmw engines they end up being expensive if they work longer kms and all have some kind issue/flaw
                            Last edited by digger; 03-03-2024, 10:12 PM.

Comment

I have to ask. Have you even seen the model that were talking about? It's very good but some dimensions on the block and crank are incorrect which makes me suspicious.

This is not a complicated part to recreate CAD for by measuring an OE part. 3D printing is a good tool that can be used to validate everything as well.

Getting the correct finish and hardness on critical surfaces will be the more difficult task.

Comment

I have to ask. Have you even seen the model that were talking about? It's very good but some dimensions on the block and crank are incorrect which makes me suspicious.

This is not a complicated part to recreate CAD for by measuring an OE part. 3D printing is a good tool that can be used to validate everything as well.

Getting the correct finish and hardness on critical surfaces will be the more difficult task.
                                Yep, have had several people reach out for the file who had the same approach as me, to 3d print one of each rocket and to compare the measurements to an oem one. I also had another person reach out from Germany who already has a source for the DLC coating.

Comment

Working...
                                X