Any update on the cam situation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any update on the cam situation?

In searching, I found just a couple threads here with recent, i.e. 2023 or newer, conversations about issues with current cam offerings. It's something I've been interested in but not able to actually do until recently. I'd be looking only at 280/272 cams. Seems as if, at least in the realm of Shrick, they still recommend their followers at minimum for the intake side for the 280. I guess 12 is better than 24 but still, ouch. I could reason with myself that it's worth it if it greatly mitigates the risk of premature cam failure/wear, but aren't there reports out there where, with this current cam and potentially changed metallurgy, of failure despite even using the recommend followers?

'07 M Coupe - RAC RG63 - AutoSolutions - Bilstein PSS10/B16 - Arqray

You'll have to wait on Schrick; otherwise, the only other option is Cat Cams with their new followers for 3k.

Comment

Should have mentioned this above, on an engine with only 36k miles in a street car, when considering the 280/272 cams, how wise or unwise would it be to keep the exhaust followers and only change out the intake ones? Think Schrick all around. Maybe that's a question for Schrick...

Comment

Originally posted by 1bluemcm View Post
        Should have mentioned this above, on an engine with only 36k miles in a street car, when considering the 280/272 cams, how wise or unwise would it be to keep the exhaust followers and only change out the intake ones? Think Schrick all around. Maybe that's a question for Schrick...
        Check out this thread for more info on followers, Schrick cams and the different versions of the cams (post 68 by terra) - https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...ollowers/page5

Comment

AskAnri .

I believe he can reuse the stock followers if they're fresh or lower mileage.

Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

Check out this thread for more info on followers, Schrick cams and the different versions of the cams (post 68 by terra) - https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...ollowers/page5
            Thanks. Yep, that is one of the threads I went through, top to bottom. Interesting how things change with manufacturing over time. The unknowns about the current cams with regard to why no coating, how hard they are coating or not, is my concern. Seems like not a lot of firm answers.

Comment

Thanks. Yep, that is one of the threads I went through, top to bottom. Interesting how things change with manufacturing over time. The unknowns about the current cams with regard to why no coating, how hard they are coating or not, is my concern. Seems like not a lot of firm answers.
              Factoring the high cost and time of installing both cams and followers, I have come to the conclusion that it is best to rock the stock cams till a follower goes flat. I just tell everyone that I got those sweet 260/260 cams, higher performance than your standard M54 lol.

Cams would be well worth it if you could just pop them in like some people did with the old Schrick cams. Maybe the 1k Dbilas regrind cams with used followers might be worth the gamble.

Comment

Shrick, they still recommend their followers at minimum for the intake side for the 280
                Hi,

Can you confirm this is for real coming from Schrick ?

Regards,
                Anri
                https://www.instagram.com/euroclassicmotors/.

www.euroclassicmotors.com

Comment

Schrick's website shows the followers as a "mandatory" accessory for all their S54 camshafts.
                  IG: @limited.slip

Mystic Blue / M-cloth E46 M3 Coupe S54 6MT
                  A̶l̶p̶i̶n̶e̶ ̶W̶h̶i̶t̶e̶ ̶/̶ ̶B̶l̶a̶c̶k̶ ̶E̶4̶6̶ ̶3̶2̶5̶i̶ ̶T̶o̶u̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶S̶5̶4̶ ̶6̶M̶T̶
                  Imola Red / Alcantara / Cloth E46 330i ZHP Sedan S54 6MT
                  Titanium Silver / Black E39 540i M-Sport
                  Touring S62 6MT
                  Alpine White / Black E90 M3 M3 S65 7DCT

Comment

Originally posted by kaiv View Post
                    Schrick's website shows the followers as a "mandatory" accessory for all their S54 camshafts.
                    Indeed all.

But it strike me that someone from Schrick suggested only on the Intake side..
                    one can get away, odd.

Regards,
                    Anri
                    Last edited by Anri; 02-28-2024, 08:44 PM.
                    https://www.instagram.com/euroclassicmotors/.

www.euroclassicmotors.com

Comment

Originally posted by Anri View Post

Hi,

Can you confirm this is for real coming from Schrick ?

Regards,
                      Anri
                      I saw it in the PDF link they provide in the listing for the cams on the Turner site, scroll down a little and it's there

In the PDF, if you scroll down to page 7 for the S54 options, off the the right it'll say "to be used with Schrick rocker arms!" or "to be used with new rocker arms!", which I took to mean not their coated ones. Actually, the only one that says "to be used with new rocker arms!" (exclamation point is a nice touch...) is the 272, for the rest it says Schrick rocker arms.

All that said, I just realized going back to it to get you this info, it's dated 2009, so I'd want to get more info to confirm.

Comment

I bet more than 70% of buyers/installers do not use new followers LOL

Comment

I have CAD files for the rocker arms … and the entire S54. At this point (wait time wise), it might be worth it to CNC some and then get them sent off to get DLC coated.

BUT, I'm not sure how accurate the CAD file is. If I weren't so lazy I'd 3d print some and then pull a rocker arm off my car and take measurements to compare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Stilt View Post
                            I have CAD files for the rocker arms … and the entire S54. At this point (wait time wise), it might be worth it to CNC some and then get them sent off to get DLC coated.

BUT, I'm not sure how accurate the CAD file is. If I weren't so lazy I'd 3d print some and then pull a rocker arm off my car and take measurements to compare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            That would be cool!!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	360
Size:	847.9 KB
ID:	255710
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	157.4 KB ID:	255707
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	225.7 KB ID:	255708​​

I can share the files if anyone wants.

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post

That would be cool!!
                              ​​​
                              Last edited by Stilt; 03-01-2024, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X