Knock / Ignition adaptations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by S54B32 View Post

Try to reset the adaptions with ecuworx tool or Inpa before next drive and do a long drive with mixed profile (part&full throttle) and read again.
    If -2 is not so good, can you comment on my -4 to -5 across all 6 cyl? Maint up to date, can think of much else to do. Stock car, stock tune, just headers cats in sect 1.
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

In my opinion that’s not looking very good, if your tune is based on CSL PD31. If I remember correct, the max knock adaption is limited there to 2.00°cr. So it can‘t go any higher than 2.00°..
      If 2.00 deg is max, then why this car has over 4 deg?
      Originally posted by ATB88 View Post
      I just read mine with my Schwaben tool and they read:
      Cyl 1: -4.41 deg
      Cyl 2: -2.81 deg
      Cyl 3: -2.81 deg
      Cyl 4: -0.81 deg
      Cyl 5: -2.41 deg
      Cyl 6: -3.21 deg

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post
        If 2.00 deg is max, then why this car has over 4 deg?

With over 4° retard adaption with no tune on it, i would highly recommend to check compression, sparkplugs, coils.

The max ignition retard adaption is defined in a table. So this max value is up to you or the tuner.
        I need to double check this, when i´m back home, but from my memory max retard adaption in CSL 0401PD31 is 2,00° cr. And i have seen some tunes from others based on the 0401PD11 with some copied tables from PD31.
        On non CSL management i have seen various max retard adaption values.
        Most times higher than CSL management. I think this is because of better fuel quality in europe, than NA.
        …under construction.

Comment

With over 4° retard adaption with no tune on it, i would highly recommend to check compression, sparkplugs, coils.

The max ignition retard adaption is defined in a table. So this max value is up to you or the tuner.
          I need to double check this, when i´m back home, but from my memory max retard adaption in CSL 0401PD31 is 2,00° cr. And i have seen some tunes from others based on the 0401PD11 with some copied tables from PD31.
          On non CSL management i have seen various max retard adaption values.
          Most times higher than CSL management. I think this is because of better fuel quality in europe, than NA.
          for what its worth- my car is on new plugs and coils and has about -4 across all cylinders still. I need to check compression but i dont shouldn't lower compression lead to less knock anyways?
          2002 TiAg M3 Coupe (SMG to 6spd), 2003 Jet Black M5

https://www.instagram.com/individual_throttle_buddies/

Comment

Are all of these values at idle?
            2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
              Are all of these values at idle?
              Car is not running. You just turn key to pos 2 for OBD2 readout.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post

Car is not running. You just turn key to pos 2 for OBD2 readout.
                They are stored data, but they must be associated with certain RPM because the ignition timing are quite different at different RPM.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

They are stored data, but they must be associated with certain RPM because the ignition timing are quite different at different RPM.
                  Ya so how do you know which RPM it refers to - or perhaps, it's the rpm where advance/retard is greatest? Or it could be an average?

Another question for anyone - can we trust the LTFT #s as accurate indicators of healthy AFR or must you use a wideband to really know if you're lean/rich overall? I understand a wideband is a great tool, esp when you need more specific data. I'm just wondering if you can confidently say the car's AFR is healthy if the LTFTs are close to zero.

Comment

Another question for anyone - can we trust the LTFT #s as accurate indicators of healthy AFR or must you use a wideband to really know if you're lean/rich overall? I understand a wideband is a great tool, esp when you need more specific data. I'm just wondering if you can confidently say the car's AFR is healthy if the LTFTs are close to zero.
                    I don't think so. The long term trims are there to compensate for recurring lean/rich conditions. If the trims are not 0, then that means the DME is adding/removing fuel to get the AFRs healthy again..

Imagine your fuel filter is not flowing as much as it should. With the injector duty cycle set to the "normal" value (LTFTs == 0), less fuel than expected will be injected into the cylinders and the car will run lean. The O2s will pick up on this and the DME will increase the LTFTs —causing the injectors to open for longer than normal. The lower fuel flow and longer injector opening times should lead to the same amount of fuel being injected into the cylinders as in a car without the fuel flow issue, thus bringing the AFRs back into the healthy region.

Obviously just a specific example that doesn't apply to every situation, but that would result in LTFTs != 0 and healthy AFRs.
                    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

I think you answered it though no? If they are 0, then you do have healthy AFRs?
                      Last edited by Tbonem3; 11-08-2021, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Ah I see what you mean now.

Sure, if they're close to 0 then that means the DME thinks the AFRs are doing good and there's no need to adjust fueling.

But, the AFRs might also be fine if they're not 0. Actually, unless you have a lean/rich code, then the DME thinks your AFRs are good enough, regardless of it compensating with LTFTs or not.

The key part in the above statements is that the DME thinks the AFRs are fine —i.e. they're below whatever "good enough" threshold is set in the DME. I don't know what the "good enough" threshold is, but I can tell you that when I was running my self-modified CSL tune (basically just changed the VANOS offsets), my AFRs were around 12 (as reported by the dyno sniffer) and the DME wasn't complaining at all about them. Wideband/sniffer is probably the only way to know for sure if your AFRs are where you want them.
                        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Ya I'm just trying to get all the info I can about this stuff.

My DME is pulling back ignition quite severely (-4/-5) across ALL 6 cyl, but it's resulting in lean LTFTs of 1.07/1.05.

Very confusing - if I'm so rich that timing is being pulled, then why pull it back so much that the LTFTs are now compensating for being lean?

Ughhhh

At least the car runs well, but I'm being anal plus I want to understand. Plus I still want to discover what could cause such retarded ignition on all 6 cyl (not a single plug, coil or injector.

Comment

Very confusing - if I'm so rich that timing is being pulled, then why pull it back so much that the LTFTs are now compensating for being lean?
                            I don't think rich mixture would cause detonation. Lean burned hotter and caused knock, then timing pulled back to avoid knock but it's still lean.

Comment

Ok so ignition is adjusted based off of knock? Not at all off AFRs?

Comment

Ok so ignition is adjusted based off of knock? Not at all off AFRs?
                                When dme detects a knock event it pulls timing.
                                2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Working...
                                X