No announcement yet.

SMG Error 59: Help needed!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dont think this is related to the pump... Typically if the pump is priming and holding pressure and you replaced your slave with a new one, you should be good. Ive ran into some instances on where the SMG computer gets stuck in an error loop that wont clear unless you start the car, which you have already done.

When you run the slave adaptation, does it make any noises outside of the priming? You should be hearing a tension type of sound which is the rod of the salve pushing against the fork and the TO bearing against the release plate. Its like a metal on metal tension type noise. (hopefully im making sense here)

You mentioned that you replaced the clutch, was it only the clutch? If not, what did you replace?

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post
      OP is in new territory with this error code. I've never, in my somewhat limited experience, seen this not be the clutch slave. OP does have considerable pressure loss if only getting two minutes at idle before it has to build pressure again but that isn't necessarily causing this problem.

OP, how many miles on your clutch/pp? Never mind, just reread your original post and saw you replaced it. What else did you replace? Are you still using the new slave cylinder?
      Yes, new clutch. I've bought about 4 slave cylinders (3 used, 1 new from FCP Euro). All have acted the exact same. Failing all bleed tests... but it's the ONLY code I'm getting. I have switched the Gear Position Sensor twice... again zero change. I have another SMG pump (used with 66k miles) that I will swap over, since there may be some internal bleeding.

Comment

Is your car on the ground with all the wheels touching the ground when you do the test or are you still in the air?

I had a similar issue or I'm still having it with my SMG retrofit where I would get a similar code. But in my case I don't have a drive shaft connected but I replaced the brand new clutch and pressure plate and I tried changing the slave cylinder and the pld sensor with other ones as well and still had the same issue so I'm currently waiting to get everything back together. Get the wheels on the ground and rerun the test.

Summarizing of the story, retrofitted the complete SMG system from an M3 into my E46 Touring. Everything is wired in engine is in transmission is in. I have a brand new LUK clutch kit with a resurfaced stock flywheel. Dual mass flywheel was in the acceptable range of play so I opted to reuse it. Smg transmission has both

Comment

Originally posted by Irhase46m3 View Post
          I dont think this is related to the pump... Typically if the pump is priming and holding pressure and you replaced your slave with a new one, you should be good. Ive ran into some instances on where the SMG computer gets stuck in an error loop that wont clear unless you start the car, which you have already done.

When you run the slave adaptation, does it make any noises outside of the priming? You should be hearing a tension type of sound which is the rod of the salve pushing against the fork and the TO bearing against the release plate. Its like a metal on metal tension type noise. (hopefully im making sense here)

You mentioned that you replaced the clutch, was it only the clutch? If not, what did you replace?
          Yeah I hear all kinds of metal on metal sounds, when running the bleed tests... but they all fail.

I replaced the clutch with OEM, the pilot bearing, and reused the flywheel. Replave slave 4 times, the gear position sensor, all 4 hard lines, the Salmon relay.

There is an actuator where the GPS plugs into... what does that do and could that be causing the issue?

Comment

Originally posted by x Spades x View Post

Yeah I hear all kinds of metal on metal sounds, when running the bleed tests... but they all fail.

I replaced the clutch with OEM, the pilot bearing, and reused the flywheel. Replave slave 4 times, the gear position sensor, all 4 hard lines, the Salmon relay.

There is an actuator where the GPS plugs into... what does that do and could that be causing the issue?
            The actuator is what mimics the shifter in a manual transmission, it does the rotation and forward and backward movement of the shift selector rod of the transmission, the GPS is what tells the system in which of these rotational/horizontal movements the actuator is currently in. Hopefully this makes sense.

What is the current gear the transmission is in? (i suggest leaving it in neutral) - Also, how is the voltage on the system? One last question, if you remove the slave, you should be able to move with your finger the fork, it should have a small amount of play, essentially the distance before it engages with the pressure plate. Do you have this play?

Hope this helps.

Comment

I know you replaced the clutch but this might be something to evaluate depending on how closely you were looking at other pieces of the puzzle.

Sharing this fix as I find it's poor design Had smg issue for a while car wasn't starting (made thread previously for help) showing code 59 clutch actuator dynamic - which i thought could only be a few things and I was correct in the end :). Code says to me the clutch having problems moving...
              3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by nextelbuddy View Post
                Is your car on the ground with all the wheels touching the ground when you do the test or are you still in the air?

I had a similar issue or I'm still having it with my SMG retrofit where I would get a similar code. But in my case I don't have a drive shaft connected but I replaced the brand new clutch and pressure plate and I tried changing the slave cylinder and the pld sensor with other ones as well and still had the same issue so I'm currently waiting to get everything back together. Get the wheels on the ground and rerun the test.

https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...ossible-causes
                ran the test 6 more times with wheels on the ground... no luck.

Comment

The actuator is what mimics the shifter in a manual transmission, it does the rotation and forward and backward movement of the shift selector rod of the transmission, the GPS is what tells the system in which of these rotational/horizontal movements the actuator is currently in. Hopefully this makes sense.

What is the current gear the transmission is in? (i suggest leaving it in neutral) - Also, how is the voltage on the system? One last question, if you remove the slave, you should be able to move with your finger the fork, it should have a small amount of play, essentially the distance before it engages with the pressure plate. Do you have this play?

Hope this helps.
                  Gear is in neutral now.
                  Voltage is a steady 14.4, as the battery is hooked up to a power supply.
                  I'll check the play tonight

Comment

Hey Fellas,

So I swapped in my refreshed engine (new clutch) and I'm having a nagging SMG issue. I've tried bleeding the system like 50 times and it keeps failing the first test (Actuator) with Error 59 (Actuator) being the only code. I've switched the slave out 4 times (with one of them being brand new), with no change in status (and same error). The car wasn't starting and the gear indicator always flashed without going into any gear. I tested the gears in INPA, and it failed all of them. I unplugged the slave and tried starting it up... success! I then tried to put into gear in INPA and it passed every gear EXCEPT for 5th. I reset the adaptations and tried bleeding again...still error 59 along with Error 40 (basically because the PLCD is unplugged). I plugged in the slave and tried to check the gears again, and they failed every one (and car didn't start).

Currently it's not passing any bleeding tests and I'm not sure what to do. I hear the pump priming (as well as it manually fills to 85 bars in INPA)... thoughts?

Kareem

I would at least jack rear wheels off ground and no hand brake so they can spin freely – the TCM might need to have wheels turn during clutch bite calibration.

Error code 59 means the clutch was not able to completely disengage – anything from slave pushing rod, clutch fork, pivot pin, clutch disk, pressure plate, and tranny input speed sensor. The TCM computer actuates the slave then reads the engine rpm and compares to input speed sensor to tell when clutch engaged or disengaged as expected, and if not expected then it pops the error code 59.

​

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

I would at least jack rear wheels off ground and no hand brake so they can spin freely – the TCM might need to have wheels turn during clutch bite calibration.

Error code 59 means the clutch was not able to completely disengage – anything from slave pushing rod, clutch fork, pivot pin, clutch disk, pressure plate, and tranny input speed sensor. The TCM computer actuates the slave then reads the engine rpm and compares to input speed sensor to tell when clutch engaged or disengaged as expected, and if not expected then it pops the error code 59.

​
                      I cant even get to clutch bite cal, its failing the fist test (actuator).

Comment

Side note...

I'm trying to quickly swap out the smg for a known running one. I have the csl airbox with the smg expansion tank. For some reason, it seems like I cant get the expansion tank hydraulic line OUT of the smg unit. Does anyone know how to take this out? I see it fits into a red housing... but when I try to pull up, it seems to be "locked" into the red ring housing.

Comment

Side note...

I'm trying to quickly swap out the smg for a known running one. I have the csl airbox with the smg expansion tank. For some reason, it seems like I cant get the expansion tank hydraulic line OUT of the smg unit. Does anyone know how to take this out? I see it fits into a red housing... but when I try to pull up, it seems to be "locked" into the red ring housing.
                          Its a red plastic lock ring, try to push the plastic tube all the way into the reservoir, that should lift the ring up a bit, then compress it by pushing down evenly and pull the plastic hose out. They can break so be careful as i dont know the part number for this (maybe someone else does) - if it still does not want to come out try to disconnect the hose from the intake side which will give you better access to try and remove it.

hope this helps..

Comment

Its a red plastic lock ring, try to push the plastic tube all the way into the reservoir, that should lift the ring up a bit, then compress it by pushing down evenly and pull the plastic hose out. They can break so be careful as i dont know the part number for this (maybe someone else does) - if it still does not want to come out try to disconnect the hose from the intake side which will give you better access to try and remove it.

hope this helps..
                            Helped IMMENSELY, I got it out.... thank you!!

Comment

So update... still Error 59 after an pump swap AND GPS swap.

I'm on like to 100th bleed and still failing the first test. I've noticed that during the test, the actuator is still letting out air... is that normal? Why hasn't all of the air been let out by now??

Also disconnected the Slave and ran the first bleed test. It failed but not I don't have error 59 any more, but Error 40 (59 is gone). While the slave is disconnected, I went into INPA and check all the gears. It shifted into ever gear perfectly EXCEPT for 5th (turned red every time). When the slave is plugged in, it doesn't shift into anything.

Summary:
                              Slave plugged in = Fail First test. INPA can shift into all gears except for 5th. Error 59
                              Slave UNPLUGGED = Fail First test. INPA can't shift into ANY gears. Only Error 40 (PCLD Sensor)

I'm assuming when I pulled apart the engine and tranny, I put everything back together properly (Clutch/pressure plate, fork, fork spring, etc.)?
                              Should I get a new Slave Cylinder? What about these compression spring I read about?
                              Last edited by x Spades x; 03-28-2024, 10:09 PM.

Comment

So update... still Error 59 after an pump swap AND GPS swap.

I'm on like to 100th bleed and still failing the first test. I've noticed that during the test, the actuator is still letting out air... is that normal? Why hasn't all of the air been let out by now??

Also disconnected the Slave and ran the first bleed test. It failed but not I don't have error 59 any more, but Error 40 (59 is gone). While the slave is disconnected, I went into INPA and check all the gears. It shifted into ever gear perfectly EXCEPT for 5th (turned red every time). When the slave is plugged in, it doesn't shift into anything.

Summary:
                                Slave plugged in = Fail First test. INPA can shift into all gears except for 5th. Error 59
                                Slave UNPLUGGED = Fail First test. INPA can't shift into ANY gears. Only Error 40 (PCLD Sensor)

I'm assuming when I pulled apart the engine and tranny, I put everything back together properly (Clutch/pressure plate, fork, fork spring, etc.)?
                                Should I get a new Slave Cylinder? What about these compression spring I read about?
                                With regards to the new slave from FCP, when you received it could you press the rod into the cylinder? You shouldn't have been able to as there is some kind of one time use clip that keeps the rod from moving which helps during installation. Just curious if what you received was possibly somebody else's returned part and this is one way to tell.

As far as something being wrong during re-assembly that is certainly possible, but unfortunately I don't how we would diagnose that short of you taking stuff apart.

Compression spring problems typically come into play under medium to high RPM, so while possible I suppose, I highly doubt it.
                                3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Working...
                                X