Clear All

I’ll be sticking to my CSL battery with those crazy LIION prices lol

Comment

Yep, CSL !

DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

The enthusiast car website published a guide on lightweight batteries for the E46 M3.
        Here is the address:

Weight reduction is a constant quest for those who track their cars and battery weight savings can be huge. Not only do lighter batteries save weight, but

Below is a excerpt from their lengthy list.

Click image for larger version

Name:	F0630709-FD1D-4078-8112-D6061D168569.jpeg
Views:	966
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	4163

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
          I've been running a 6 lb Braile GU1R lithium battery in my M3 for 3.5 years now without any issues.

That said, it no longer sees winter use (though it's had a couple <30 degree starts) and I put it on a (lithium specific) trickle charger if I'm parking it for longer than ~2 weeks (... which I did with the stock battery, too).

Because, at 6 lbs, it's not doing anything meaningful for weight distribution, and the battery cable going to the trunk is 6 lbs, I also mounted it under the hood, like the 4 cylinder e46s do. Enabled me to save the weight of the cable and gave me more trunk space!
          Superb innovation!
          After a battery relocation test I ran, where I put the std battery in the middle of the rear boot (trunk) space, I had been considering running two small lead-acid batteries (stop-start series) in parallel either side in the boot. I could definately feel an improvement to handling with the mass centralised at the rear. Ive not acted yet on my plan, time now to do some more investigations at this end (UK).

Comment

Found my next battery, i48CX Braille. Stock size, no worries about keeping it on a charger. Jump in an go while saving 35lbs over stock battery.

Comment

Originally posted by pawa_k2001 View Post
              Found my next battery, i48CX Braille. Stock size, no worries about keeping it on a charger. Jump in an go while saving 35lbs over stock battery.
              Is your car a gutted race car? Why pay $1500 for a lighter battery? Not sure I understand what 35lbs will do for 90% of the people driving these cars?

Comment

Originally posted by GreyM340i View Post

Is your car a gutted race car? Why pay $1500 for a lighter battery? Not sure I understand what 35lbs will do for 90% of the people driving these cars?
                I am aiming to have a 2999lbs street E46 M3 with 5/8th tank of fuel. I am currently at 3053lbs and looking at every option since I can not remove the comfort features like A/C, cruise control, leather seats, insulation and carpet.

Comment

Originally posted by pawa_k2001 View Post
                  Why pay that much vs the Antigravity equivalent? Just got the 30Ah H6 size for $450 used, it’s a couple hundred more new. It’s 10 lb, LiFePo chemistry and also doesn’t need to be kept on a charger.

Deleting the battery cable and putting it in the engine bay as some have done is tempting too but I’m a lot more comfortable with lithium in the trunk.

Comment

My new battery came in, 11.15lbs!

Comment

I've been running a 6 lb Braile GU1R lithium battery in my M3 for 3.5 years now without any issues.

That said, it no longer sees winter use (though it's had a couple <30 degree starts) and I put it on a (lithium specific) trickle charger if I'm parking it for longer than ~2 weeks (... which I did with the stock battery, too).

Because, at 6 lbs, it's not doing anything meaningful for weight distribution, and the battery cable going to the trunk is 6 lbs, I also mounted it under the hood, like the 4 cylinder e46s do. Enabled me to save the weight of the cable and gave me more trunk space!

new battery location (and my super leggera washer tank):

Extra trunk space:

Bonus: I also got extra trunk space on the passenger side

Now at ~6 years, no issues.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                      2012 LMB/Black 128i
                      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Nothing improves how well a car drives, including on the street, more than weight.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Now at ~6 years, no issues.
                          Is this setup suitable for a daily driver? What if I had to run errands around the city with multiple short trips and starts in a day? Any concerns about having enough juice to start every time?
                          You did keep the pyro fuse on the cable, correct? I think I see it there, so just making sure. Any concerns about that thing firing in an accident scenario so close to the engine bay even if it's in a separate compartment? I guess the wall separating it from fuel lines is about the same as the sheet metal separating it in the rear from the fuel tank, right?

Thanks!
                          2006 BMW M3 ZCP

Comment

Even I wouldn't pay that, and that's saying something.
                            2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by eljay View Post

Is this setup suitable for a daily driver? What if I had to run errands around the city with multiple short trips and starts in a day? Any concerns about having enough juice to start every time?
                              You did keep the pyro fuse on the cable, correct? I think I see it there, so just making sure. Any concerns about that thing firing in an accident scenario so close to the engine bay even if it's in a separate compartment? I guess the wall separating it from fuel lines is about the same as the sheet metal separating it in the rear from the fuel tank, right?

Thanks!
                              My car sometimes functions as a fair weather DD, depending on my mood. I've never had any battery issues. I do plug the car in if it's going to be sitting for longer than a ~week.

I did keep the pyro fuse. BMW put the battery in the location I'm using in 4 cylinder e46s, including the pyro fuse, so I'm reasonably confident it should not be creating any safety issues.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                              2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

My car sometimes functions as a fair weather DD, depending on my mood. I've never had any battery issues. I do plug the car in if it's going to be sitting for longer than a ~week.

I did keep the pyro fuse. BMW put the battery in the location I'm using in 4 cylinder e46s, including the pyro fuse, so I'm reasonably confident it should not be creating any safety issues.
                                Thank you! And yes, good point about the 4-cyl setup already being OEM approved.
                                2006 BMW M3 ZCP

Comment

Working...
                                X