E46 M3 OEM vs E46 M3 CSL/Mini vs F80 M3 Li-ion Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E46 M3 OEM vs E46 M3 CSL/Mini vs F80 M3 Li-ion Battery

So I stumbled on a deal for a F80 M3 lithium ion battery and decided to give it a try even though my stock battery is only a year old.

I don't have a CSL/Mini battery on hand but pulled up a picture from M3Forum cache.(the image is tiny, sorry)

Specs:
    CSL/Mini: 480CCA 34.4lbs
    E46 M3 OEM: 640CCA, 45.65lbs
    F80 M3 Li-ion: 860CCA, 29.85lbs
    E46 M3 Bosch OE: 790CCA, 46.15lbs
    i48CX Braille: 1520PCA, 11.15lbs

The F80 M3 Li-ion battery is larger in dimensions compared to the factory AGM E46 M3 battery but it still fits without issues. I did some research previously and per F80 forum, the Li-ion battery has the electronics inside to protect it from overcharging which was my biggest worry. From the limited tested that I did, I have not had any issues. Everyone probably knows but, you can not charge a lithium ion battery with a regular charger so I bought a CTEK charger specifically for lithium ion batteries.

Is the battery worth it with a $1100 price tag? At the moment it would not be worth it to me but that opinion can change if I find that it has a significantly longer life.

Last edited by pawa_k2001; 07-05-2022, 10:00 AM.

I’d love to try one out too but damn that’s expensive for a car battery. Any idea how much longer these Li-ion batteries are supposed to last vs standard batteries?

2004 Imola Red M3 Coupe
    Dinan Section 3 - Euro Section 1 - Megan Headers - AKG Subframe Plates - Apex ARC-8 - ZCP Brake Rotors & Calipers - ZCP Steering Rack - ST Coilovers - CSL Rep Front Bumper - Seibon CSL Rep Trunk - Avin Avant 4

Comment

I think there are some cheaper li-ion batts. There was an awesome thread on m3f about them, and I can't remember the names but they were around $600-700.

Current:

1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena
      2003 BMW M3 · Coupe · 6MT - Alpine White/M-Texture Alcantara

Comment

Seems promising but at that price too rich for my blood.
        2004 Jet Black/Cinnamon 6spd ///M3
        Build///Journal
        IG: Khan_Art_

Comment

Originally posted by 174bpm View Post
          I’d love to try one out too but damn that’s expensive for a car battery. Any idea how much longer these Li-ion batteries are supposed to last vs standard batteries?
          Per F80 forum, AGM battery has a life of 350 cycles while Li-ion is at 3000-5000 cycles. Hoping that is what I see, would definitely get another if its true.

Comment

Originally posted by pawa_k2001 View Post

Per F80 forum, AGM battery has a life of 350 cycles while Li-ion is at 3000-5000 cycles. Hoping that is what I see, would definitely get another if its true.
            What is considered a cycle?

Comment

Originally posted by Dash1 View Post

What is considered a cycle?
              One 100-0-100% cycle
              or
              two 100-50-100% cycles
              or
              ten 100-90-100% cycles

etc

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
              2012 LMB/Black 128i
              2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

I've been running a 6 lb Braile GU1R lithium battery in my M3 for 3.5 years now without any issues.

That said, it no longer sees winter use (though it's had a couple <30 degree starts) and I put it on a (lithium specific) trickle charger if I'm parking it for longer than ~2 weeks (... which I did with the stock battery, too).

Because, at 6 lbs, it's not doing anything meaningful for weight distribution, and the battery cable going to the trunk is 6 lbs, I also mounted it under the hood, like the 4 cylinder e46s do. Enabled me to save the weight of the cable and gave me more trunk space!

new battery location (and my super leggera washer tank):

Extra trunk space:

Bonus: I also got extra trunk space on the passenger side

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i
                2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                  I've been running a 6 lb Braile GU1R lithium battery in my M3 for 3.5 years now without any issues.

That said, it no longer sees winter use (though it's had a couple <30 degree starts) and I put it on a (lithium specific) trickle charger if I'm parking it for longer than ~2 weeks (... which I did with the stock battery, too).

Because, at 6 lbs, it's not doing anything meaningful for weight distribution, and the battery cable going to the trunk is 6 lbs, I also mounted it under the hood, like the 4 cylinder e46s do. Enabled me to save the weight of the cable and gave me more trunk space!

new battery location (and my super leggera washer tank):

Extra trunk space:

Bonus: I also got extra trunk space on the passenger side

$549 bs $1100 for a battery that weighs 6x time more seems like a far better value

Comment

Originally posted by pawa_k2001 View Post
                    SIs the battery worth it with a $1100 price tag? At the moment it would not be worth it to me but that opinion can change if I find that it has a significantly longer life.
                    How quickly were you going through batteries? The standard batteries have lasted me 7-8 years each, so it seems like it's hard to justify Li-ion money even if longevity is the concern

Originally posted by Dash1 View Post

$549 bs $1100 for a battery that weighs 6x time more seems like a far better value
                    Not really a fair comparison though. Obioban's setup is unacceptable for a daily driver (which his coupe no longer is). The battery capacity in that thing is about the same as a portable jump starter. It'll get you started a couple times, but you can't run much off it for very long.

Antigravity batteries are decent middle ground from a weight perspective: https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...es/automotive/

The 60Ah versions (which is the lowest capacity I'd be comfortable with on a daily driver) is only 18ish lbs, but your cost is pretty close to the F80 battery at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post
                      How quickly were you going through batteries? The standard batteries have lasted me 7-8 years each, so it seems like it's hard to justify Li-ion money even if longevity is the concern
                      Not going through batteries fast enough to justify the purchase. I wanted a "stock" battery that weighs less than the stock AGM but without the headache to chargers or having a dead car after a few weeks. I used to have a lightweight race battery, that experience pushed me away from them probably forever.

Comment

I went with the AntiGravity at a whopping 12 pounds. Not cheap ($675) but the built in restart feature is nice for peace of mind. Just ordered terminal covers yesterday.

Feff

Click image for larger version  Name:	AntiGravity.jpg Views:	0 Size:	170.0 KB ID:	3076
                        MVP Track Time

Comment

Originally posted by Feffman View Post
                          I went with the AntiGravity at a whopping 12 pounds. Not cheap ($675) but the built in restart feature is nice for peace of mind. Just ordered terminal covers yesterday.

Feff
                          Definitely an option but the H7 60ah which would be my choice costs more than what I paid for the F80 M3 battery.

Edit: AntiGravity would save another 10lbs(H7/60ah) so it's definitely a good option for whenever I need my next battery.
                          Last edited by pawa_k2001; 03-27-2020, 04:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Feffman View Post
                            That's what it was called! Antigravity will be my next move for sure.

Current:

1997 BMW M3 - Boston Green/Modena
                            2003 BMW M3 · Coupe · 6MT - Alpine White/M-Texture Alcantara

Comment

A stock BMW positive terminal cover (Part 61218375653) fits perfectly with AntiGravity. The negative terminal cover is a generic left hand coming via Amazon.

Feff
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	Terminal Cover.jpg
Views:	3461
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	3433
                              MVP Track Time

Comment

Working...
                              X