Old TIS/parts catalog DVDs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old TIS/parts catalog DVDs

Last time I used these was so long ago we still had a Windows 7 machine around here. Not so much any more. I haven't been able to get them to work or load on a Win 10/11 PC, but I can't remember exactly how to get them installed either. There was something with installing VM Ware as I recall?

Anyone have any tips for getting these to work on a current PC? Or are they just relics at this point? Thx.
    '07 M Coupe - RAC RG63 - AutoSolutions - Bilstein PSS10/B16 - Arqray

Wow, that's some history right there, lol.

IDK about getting them to run, but if you decide to throw them out I would like to offer dibs as they would be some fun shelf art for my shop.
    '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
    Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
    Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Can't believe you'd just post your password online like that.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

I tapped into my IT guys knowledge for some help. Full disclosure he knows nothing about this program/BMW/TIS etc, he is just a general IT manager.

His advice was to put the CD/DVD into the computer and try to boot it. If you can see the contents of the disk, copy and paste the contents onto a folder on your desktop.

If the contents contain a program file (.exe) right click on it>properties>compatibility>compatibility mode> run this program in compatibility mode for Windows 7.
        Last edited by Avedis; 04-01-2024, 11:59 AM.

Comment

When we got my son's GTI we found that VW would permit a complete PDF download of the shop manual if you purchased a 24 hour subscription to their technical information site. Will BMW allow the same with a 24 hour subscription?
          Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
            Can't believe you'd just post your password online like that.
            I'm generous. That is my actual password, for everything.
            ​
            haha

Originally posted by D-O View Post
            When we got my son's GTI we found that VW would permit a complete PDF download of the shop manual if you purchased a 24 hour subscription to their technical information site. Will BMW allow the same with a 24 hour subscription?
            It looks like you can certainly access all that with a subscription, whether or not it's in PDF form that can be downloaded, I can't tell from the info BMW provides about the subscription service.​
            Last edited by 1bluemcm; 04-01-2024, 04:53 PM.

Comment

I have all the old BMW software running on a Virtual XP machine.
              Since I use Gentoo Linux as my main OS, seems like the only way aside from dual booting...

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 7 mit Tapatalk

Comment

I tried to compress the TIS version 08/2007 to a desktop folder - it ran for a while and about half way through it just got stuck and didn't do anything for a half hour before I killed it. A Virtual XP machine would definitely do the trick, but I don't have the know-how to do that and only have Windows based PCs.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bluemcm View Post
                  I tried to compress the TIS version 08/2007 to a desktop folder - it ran for a while and about half way through it just got stuck and didn't do anything for a half hour before I killed it. A Virtual XP machine would definitely do the trick, but I don't have the know-how to do that and only have Windows based PCs.
                  Doesn't matter what your host OS is, you can just download virtualbox and install an XP. It's all wizard installation, so not much IT knowledge required. All you need is an XP install disk or image.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 7 mit Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by D-O View Post
                    I found this, I think it answers your question, and I may give this a try when I have several clear hours.

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bluemcm View Post

I found this, I think it answers your question, and I may give this a try when I have several clear hours.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ficial-BMW-TIS
                      I did this a few months ago as well - it was well worth it to me, a lot of content downloadable and I have a treasure trove of info for the future. In terms of "service manual" it's really all in TIS (and whatever its successor is called) so it's not so much a single PDF you can download. You can access this as well with the subscription but only for the period your subscription is valid for.

All in all as a keen enthusiast of the E46 platform I had good fun hunting through and finding all the useful/interesting info.
                      2005 ///M3 SMG Coupe Silbergrau Metallic/CSL bucket seats
                      Build Thread:
                      https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...e46-m3-journal

Comment

Working...
                      X