Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Coupe Seat Height and Helmets

Hey guys,

so I’m considering getting a coupe down the line and making its into a track/canyon car. I have a mint vert right now as a cruiser. I sat in a coupe today, with a sunroof, and my hair was actually touching the roof. I asked the owner and he said the seat was at its lowest position. I’m assuming everyone that tracks their coupe puts bucket seats to lower the seating height? I’m not even that tall, only 5’8. Btw this car had a sunroof.

my vert with the hardtop and soft top seems to have a higher roof line as my head doesn’t touch.

any feedback is appreciated.

Julian

I've been told that seats with power and bolsters are higher than just power. And of course manual seats are the lowest (you actually notice it). However, when I head to the track I'll swap to a bucket. But, I've had no issues with helmet on OEM seat when test fitting and we're the same height.

Comment

Manual seats sit ~1/2" lower, but they're stupidly uncomfortable because of the lack of adjustable lumbar support. Only 2 lbs of weight saved per seat.

No sunroof gets you ~1" of headroom, lowers the CoG significantly (44 lbs off the highest point), and makes the car more reliable-- far better way to get headroom, especially for a canyon carver.

Aftermarket fixed back seats can get you a couple inches of headroom, but most don't play nicely with the factory 3 point seat belts-- not amazing for a street car. Can avoid by getting specific seats (Cobra Nogaro and Recaro Pole Position ABE are the only ones afaik).

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

I have to agree, the lumbar support on manual seats would be tough on long drives.

Although retrofitting lumbar is pretty easy.

Last edited by simonnim; 04-08-2024, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Sit in YOUR candidate car with YOUR helmet. Your body torso measurement + your helmet is different than others. Different helmets have different heights.

I have never had a problem in either of my M3s - but everyone is built differently.

Comment

I tracked my car stock, twice. My helmet was touching the headliner the whole time. It's super annoying and distracting. I'm 6'1" and my car a sunroof and stock power adjustable seats.

This is a slippery slope though. You either go all in and open a big can of worms about safety equipment usefulness and dangers on the track vs the street...

OR, you just get Pole Positions or Nogaros and keep the stock 3-point belts. Honestly I kind of wish I had just done that in hindsight.

Either way, remove the sunroof or find a slick top car. No downsides exist to that since you also have a convertible to drive if you want that.
            http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
            '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
            '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post
              I tracked my car stock, twice. My helmet was touching the headliner the whole time. It's super annoying and distracting. I'm 6'1" and my car a sunroof and stock power adjustable seats.

This is a slippery slope though. You either go all in and open a big can of worms about safety equipment usefulness and dangers on the track vs the street...

OR, you just get Pole Positions or Nogaros and keep the stock 3-point belts. Honestly I kind of wish I had just done that in hindsight.

Either way, remove the sunroof or find a slick top car. No downsides exist to that since you also have a convertible to drive if you want that.
              thanks for the feedback.

yea I think the first mod I’m going to do when I get the coupe would be to buy the nogaros or Recaro pp Abe.

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                Can avoid by getting specific seats (Cobra Nogaro and Recaro Pole Position ABE are the only ones afaik)
                recaro podium is ABE and also FIA certified. doesnt technically matter for street cars in the US but official certifications are better than no certifications

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jpy1980 View Post
                  Hey guys,

so I’m considering getting a coupe down the line and making its into a track/canyon car. I have a mint vert right now as a cruiser. I sat in a coupe today, with a sunroof, and my hair was actually touching the roof. I asked the owner and he said the seat was at its lowest position. I’m assuming everyone that tracks their coupe puts bucket seats to lower the seating height? I’m not even that tall, only 5’8. Btw this car had a sunroof.

my vert with the hardtop and soft top seems to have a higher roof line as my head doesn’t touch.

any feedback is appreciated.

Julian
                  Im also around the same height. Now, I can't speak to torso lengths as they won't be the same, but I don't think the chair was at its lowest setting because even at the highest setting, I don't think my head touches the roof.

Comment

I doubt the car you tried had the seat all the way down? I'm very tall 6'5" and I also had my hair almost touch the ceiling in a premium pack car I tested when I bought mine. So I ordered my M3 with no sunroof and manual seats, tons of room now. But at 5' 8" I'd think you fit fine with power seats and sunroof, maybe you can try another car that's for sale near you or something to verify the seat is actually as low as can be. As others said, the manual seat will give you 1/2-1" of extra headroom for sure, you can always retrofit a manual base I suppose.
                    2006 M3 ZCP 6spd slicktop AW/Imola (orig owner)
                    1997 328iC Individual
                    1975 Alfa Romeo GT Junior 1300
                    1959 Land Rover Series 2
                    2013 MB GLK350 (wife’s)

Comment

Torso length as a proportion of overall height varies significantly so there's really no point in presuming that because someone else is the same height as you that you'll end up with the same result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      2005 ///M3 SMG Coupe Silbergrau Metallic/CSL bucket seats
                      Build Thread:
                      https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...e46-m3-journal

Comment

I’ve been told, much to my chagrin by my sister, that I have a long torso and short legs. Haha maybe that’s why my hair hits the top. Oh well, glad I got a convertible then.

Comment

So in other words, you're a gorilla.

Comment

Originally posted by simonnim View Post
                            So in other words, you're a gorilla.
                            Ooo ooo aah aah.

are you Korean by any chance? Just figured since you have a “nim” on the back of your username. My sister calls me “short dari”

Comment

Originally posted by jpy1980 View Post

Ooo ooo aah aah.

are you Korean by any chance? Just figured since you have a “nim” on the back of your username. My sister calls me “short dari”
                              I think that's a korean thing. I know my arms are shorter than most 5'10' people. Not t-rex short...but noticeable as I get older and have to bend over to pick something up.

Some helmets will give you a spaceballs minion white helmet look - usually cheaper ones. If you get ones that are designed for open wheel (closed face, usually have some sort of aero built in or the capability to attach stuff) then they will help give you more clearance.

I have a Bell RS7 which probably gives me about 1" more clearance than every helmet I previously had. It also fits my head well and is reasonably priced. It maybe squeezes my cheeks a tad bit but not uncomfortable. Stilo and HJCs are fit me rather poorly.

Comment

Working...
                              X