Something To Note When Going Aftermarket Stereo On An E46

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something To Note When Going Aftermarket Stereo On An E46

As some of you know, I do the Apple CarPlay / Android Auto conversion on the original navigation systems.

I have had to pull out a lot of 5 meter extension cables from cars, where customer decided to go back to OEM, as they weren’t happy with the aftermarket.

Over the years I always read mixed reviews of the aftermarket headunits.

I decided to dig a little deeper and see what’s going on.

Since I had these 5m extension cables, I hooked them up to my test bench and started doing some tests with an aftermarket headunit.

Here is the results.

For cars which came with single din headunits, the connection is direct, so the reviews have always been generally positive.

Power cables being poor is bad enough, but also 5m of really bad speaker cables, makes it even worse.

I hope that clears things up and helps anyone.

So question, since I've been digging into the audio of my car recently.

1. Single din units (non nav) the speakers are directly connected to the speakers?
    2. Does that change when you have cd changer option in trunk?
    3. Does connecting a bluebus in the trunk through the cd changer have an affect on the quality?
    4. Where is the amp when you have single din (is it just the stereo that it's wired to?)
    5. Do you only have an amp when you have HK (in US)?

Comment

Originally posted by simonnim View Post
      So question, since I've been digging into the audio of my car recently.

1. Single din units (non nav) the speakers are directly connected to the speakers?
      2. Does that change when you have cd changer option in trunk?
      3. Does connecting a bluebus in the trunk through the cd changer have an affect on the quality?
      4. Where is the amp when you have single din (is it just the stereo that it's wired to?)
      5. Do you only have an amp when you have HK (in US)?
      1. Depends if you have HK amplifier. The single din radio, is the main source for the sound. It has its own amps. If you don’t have Harman Kardon system, then it will go directly to speakers, if you have HK amp, then it will go into the HK amp and from HK amp to the speakers.

2. No. The cd changer is just a sound source, like radio, auxiliary, Bluetooth hands free. Which all go through the radio.

3. No.

4. Depends on if your car was equipped with an additional amplifier. In coupes it’s in the trunk on the left side, in convertibles, it’s on the left side behind the rear passenger door card.

5. Yes, anywhere in the world. The HK was a factory sound upgrade, with extra speakers and sub/s.

Comment

Baris - Carphonics Thanks!

I remember reading somewhere - I think it was m3cutters, but they mentioned all US models were equipped with factory amps regardless of HK or not. I'll have to check. The reason I brought up the bluebus is based on your findings, since the source would be pretty far from the stereo itself as well (if that's where the amp is). I have replaced my speakers recently and have experienced some humming at higher volumes. I'm curious if it's due to first replacing blown speakers and maybe it was always there? But, I know it's only when I'm playing through the bluebus via bluetooth. I'm thinking my headunit may need to be replaced soon if the amp is actually built in. I know I can check, just a bit lazy right now.

Comment

Baris, do you sell the extension for the HK equipped cars that decide to go aftermarket? I've been running my OEM setup with a Bluebus and your AMP upgrades but I think my BM53 is on it's way out, sound only plays on one side of the speakers and I'm over the OEM unit. You helped me troubleshoot by opening the BM53 and cleaning it, etc. but alas, the unit is still doing the same thing after hitting any kind of bump.

I was thinking of going aftermarket, like an Avin or Dynavin but they all come with the crap wires as you've shown. Do you sell the extension kit or do I need to build one myself?

Comment

Originally posted by simonnim View Post
            Baris - Carphonics Thanks!

I remember reading somewhere - I think it was m3cutters, but they mentioned all US models were equipped with factory amps regardless of HK or not. I'll have to check. The reason I brought up the bluebus is based on your findings, since the source would be pretty far from the stereo itself as well (if that's where the amp is). I have replaced my speakers recently and have experienced some humming at higher volumes. I'm curious if it's due to first replacing blown speakers and maybe it was always there? But, I know it's only when I'm playing through the bluebus via bluetooth. I'm thinking my headunit may need to be replaced soon if the amp is actually built in. I know I can check, just a bit lazy right now.
            All US cars are equipped with the hands free Bluetooth cabling. The wiring for HK is just different.

The bmw cables are pretty thick. So they are good quality. The CD changer plays off the wiring the bluebus plays from with no issues.
            Do you get the same noise from radio or any other source, like the CD in the headunit? If not, it could be the bluebus. The business headunits never really go faulty. Very reliable.

Comment

Originally posted by WestBankM4 View Post
              Baris, do you sell the extension for the HK equipped cars that decide to go aftermarket? I've been running my OEM setup with a Bluebus and your AMP upgrades but I think my BM53 is on it's way out, sound only plays on one side of the speakers and I'm over the OEM unit. You helped me troubleshoot by opening the BM53 and cleaning it, etc. but alas, the unit is still doing the same thing after hitting any kind of bump.

I was thinking of going aftermarket, like an Avin or Dynavin but they all come with the crap wires as you've shown. Do you sell the extension kit or do I need to build one myself?
              Yes I custom make them.

I also have the cable if you want to replace the HK amplifier and don’t want to cut the cables.

Was it the stage 1 or stage 2 amp upgrade you went for? Can you email me again. Should be able to sort that out.

Comment

Originally posted by Baris - Carphonics View Post

Yes I custom make them.

I also have the cable if you want to replace the HK amplifier and don’t want to cut the cables.

Was it the stage 1 or stage 2 amp upgrade you went for? Can you email me again. Should be able to sort that out.
                I upgraded using your Stage 2 AMP upgrade. I'll send you a follow up email.

Thank you for the links, debating right now.

Comment

All US cars are equipped with the hands free Bluetooth cabling. The wiring for HK is just different.

The bmw cables are pretty thick. So they are good quality. The CD changer plays off the wiring the bluebus plays from with no issues.
                  Do you get the same noise from radio or any other source, like the CD in the headunit? If not, it could be the bluebus. The business headunits never really go faulty. Very reliable.
                  I'll check once I get my alternator in.

Comment

I’m thinking this applies to people who are keeping the HK amp in service with their aftermarket head units, correct?

I’m using all aftermarket amplification connected via HQ RCA cables and upgraded speaker wiring throughout. I guess more or less for just this reason, I just had them rewire everything audio with good wire “while they were in there.”

No need in going that far (new head unit, new amps, dynamat, new speakers) and ruin it all with BS wires.

I was going for sonic purity so I didn’t want the HK in the loop anyway.

maw

Comment

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post
                      I’m thinking this applies to people who are keeping the HK amp in service with their aftermarket head units, correct?

I’m using all aftermarket amplification connected via HQ RCA cables and upgraded speaker wiring throughout. I guess more or less for just this reason, I just had them rewire everything audio with good wire “while they were in there.”

No need in going that far (new head unit, new amps, dynamat, new speakers) and ruin it all with BS wires.

I was going for sonic purity so I didn’t want the HK in the loop anyway.

maw
                      For the majority, yes. If you’re going to amplify all your speakers, you wont have to worry too much about the speakers getting quality voltage.

However, depending on the aftermarket headunit you have installed, when you turn the volume up, it will lose voltage and won’t be working at its peak capacity.

I don’t know how that will effect the headunits, whether the processor will slow down, or/and whether the sound quality will drop because the processor chip and other chips are not getting the optimal voltage.

So even if you are going aftermarket, I would use better cables for the power cables. But I believe there is a connection behind the headunit, which you can make a plug for and connect to that, if you aren’t going to be using the original speaker system/cables.

Comment

So even if you are going aftermarket, I would use better cables for the power cables. But I believe there is a connection behind the headunit, which you can make a plug for and connect to that, if you aren’t going to be using the original speaker system/cables.
                        Thanks Baris. That's actually sensible given how much attention I pay to power cords, etc. in my home systems. I actually hadn't thought about that here. Hopefully Dynavin did their homework. Jeff Bechtel is also an audio guy so there's a good chance they did. Hopefully they didn't upgrade all the guts (see below) and NOT the power delivery to service the components.

"AUDIO FUNCTIONS

Here is where some of the biggest changes are.....Dynavin is going after a higher end market and as such has added a lot of good audio features to the new N7. Time alignment, three band bass/mid/treble AND a 9 band EQ with separate sub control, 4 volt RCAs for clean signal transmission to aftermarket amps, and 24bit burr brown D/A converters....you old school audio guys will know what thats about.​"

This is what they had to say about the N7 in 2017, for reference.

Cheers,

maw

Comment

I don’t know how that will effect the headunits, whether the processor will slow down, or/and whether the sound quality will drop because the processor chip and other chips are not getting the optimal voltage.
                          Any digital components (e.g. CPU, RAM, DSP, etc.) will essentially either work or not work. Their input supply will be buffered by voltage regulators which will either receive a high enough voltage to provide their nominal output voltage or not. Digital chips operate in a fairly narrow voltage band (which is related to the voltage drop across the individual transistors that make up the chip), and if their supply drops out of that range then they just stop working. In practice the digital supply voltage a circuit requires is usually designed to be low enough in comparison to the available unregulated supply. Most chips in aftermarket headunits are repurposed android phone/tablet chips and those devices have batteries that run in the 3.x volts range, so a lot of headroom compared to a 12-14v unregulated supply.

Anything on the analogue side of operations would certainly be affected - e.g. if a DAC isn't getting enough supply power (volts times amps) then it's not going to be able to drive the analogue output signal to the levels the digital circuit is telling it to.

2005 ///M3 SMG Coupe Silbergrau Metallic/CSL bucket seats
                          Build Thread:
                          https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...e46-m3-journal

Comment

Working...
                          X