Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kcalhoun27 View Post
    All,

im at the point where my diff sounds like im dragging cans behind my car so its clearly time to refresh

I believe i have 3 options that are reasonable. With the criteria being:
    properly working lsd unit that is quiet
    new seals/bearings
    not buying more than i will really use

so, the options are:
    1. diffsonline - m-variable rebuild, nothing fancy. ~$2000 Shipped both ways
    2. Racingdiffs parts, still m-variable ~ $800, $5-800 for shop to rebuild, im guessing
    3. Wavetrac/Diffsonline seals/bearings - ~$3500 shipped both ways

i would say concern #1 is a properly working diff, that is quiet and i dont have to worry about it. Second is price, meaning that i can pay for any option listed, but dont want to pay more just to prove i can.

can anyone with experience please chime in? Ive read through every diff thread i can find, they are around 3 years old and things change. What was once good may not be any longer and id prefer to do this once and be done with it. Ive put 7k miles on my car the last 5 years so 80k should last my lifetime. If i go the parts route, i trust the shop doing the work, they build 1000hp drift cars for a living and diffs are oil changes for them. I called diffsonline today, and they said they do not sell m-variable parts specifically, so im guessing they save them for their in house rebuild offerings. I emailed racingdiffs and they linked me to their full rebuild kit. So those are the current options available as i see it

i dont track my car, i dont plan to. Its my fun driving car thats pretty to look at. I thought about gearing up a bit, but have decided against that as well, so its just a diff rebuild im looking for now.

thanks for any info
    Syncro Design Works, diff rebuild $1400. I'm not sure if they ship, but they are good at what they do.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post
      Now we know that with the new clutch stack installed and no more noise, I would think the only noise before should be the heavy M clunk when taking off as the old clutches slipped causing the spiders gears crashed into the side-gears like hammering, but this should not sound like dragging a metal can. What else can cause that dragging can noise?
      I legitimately dont know what it could have been, beyond the diff making all that noise. In fairness, i did the diff, both wheel rear wheel bearings, replaced a bunch of the hardware, retorqued everything i could get a wrench on under the car, greased what needed grease, etc.

i can only say that the car is quiet and drives like i suspect its supposed to now. After all that effort, im very happy with how it has turned out. I appreciate all the info from everyone on this forum

Comment

Originally posted by oceansize View Post
        Diffsonline, like everything else, has gone up a bunch. My 3.91 in 2020 was 2500 (not including core charge) and is now 3200. This is one of those items I didn't want to fool with and didn't want to do twice (or more). Been very happy with Dan's work.
        If you had to do it over again (diffsonline order), would you change anything about your order? Different gears or anything like that? Or just keep things the same.
        /// 2004 SG/IR - Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by ugaexploder View Post

If you had to do it over again (diffsonline order), would you change anything about your order? Different gears or anything like that? Or just keep things the same.
          I would do everything the same, really enjoy the 3.91 gears, and one of my favorite modifications.
          3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

Working...
          X