No announcement yet.

Current price of M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recently bought a 2004 M3 with 90k miles with SMG to Manual swap for 26k.3 owners. Interiors and exterior is great condition.

Comment

Hagerty values an LCI model significantly more than a pre-LCI.
      2004 Dinan S3-R M3
      2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

Question for you guys. Why is a pre LCi so undesirable?

From what I gathered the pre LCI has a different trunk garnish, aluminum crash bar, non led lights and maybe some more little things. Are those really a detractor? Unless I’m totally missing something here.

Comment

Originally posted by jpy1980 View Post

From what I gathered the pre LCI has a different trunk garnish, aluminum crash bar, non led lights and maybe some more little things. Are those really a detractor? Unless I’m totally missing something here.
          I think they also had the better ABS system. All the cosmetics can be retrofitted.

Comment

Aside from being newer, the main difference is the updated ABS. There is also the v2 diff, but I think only very late model cars got that.

The competition package also had the quicker steering rack and floating rotors.

I don't think there's that much difference between early and late model for a street car, and I would place condition above model year in purchasing. But that's just me.

Comment

Yeah it's the MK60. Having gone from MK20 to MK60 in my car, it's definitely worth looking for an MK60 car.

Everything else can easily (and relatively cheaply) be swapped to the facelift stuff. Trunk handle on coupes is probably the one other exception, but that's just an aesthetic thing.
              2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Hmm, I have a 2003 M3 Vert and its been coded to have the M track DSC button thingy which I believe only is for the MK60, correct? I know its not a facelift since it didn't have the LEDs. Is mine a facelift then if it has the updated ABS?

Comment

Hmm, I have a 2003 M3 Vert and its been coded to have the M track DSC button thingy which I believe only is for the MK60, correct? I know its not a facelift since it didn't have the LEDs. Is mine a facelift then if it has the updated ABS?
                  "Facelift" usually refers to the exterior changes, like the LED tails and the different trunk handle. That came some time in 2003.

MK60 and MSS54HPs started coming on regular M3s at the same time as the CSL was released, so some time late 2002. If you have M track mode coded on, then yeah you have an MK60.
                  2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Very little difference between pre lci and lci other than lci’s being newer although all are old at this point. I would definitely place very little value in getting a 03.5+ over a pre all things equal.

Comment

Originally posted by James31 View Post
                      Very little difference between pre lci and lci other than lci’s being newer although all are old at this point. I would definitely place very little value in getting a 03.5+ over a pre all things equal.
                      Willing to bet that at least 75% of this forum disagrees and mostly because of the Mk20 vs 60 as explained above. If you drive your car like a granny then it doesn’t matter I guess but it is an M3 and MK20 takes away a lot of fun.

Comment

Originally posted by PetrolM3 View Post

Willing to bet that at least 75% of this forum disagrees and mostly because of the Mk20 vs 60 as explained above. If you drive your car like a granny then it doesn’t matter I guess but it is an M3 and MK20 takes away a lot of fun.
                        Mk60 was not on the LCI’s exclusive. They were on some pre l I’d as well. Although OP’s would not have it. My statement was about lci vs pre lci specifically

Comment

Originally posted by fattycharged View Post
                          There's currently an 04 listed at your mileage, on this site, so whatever he gets, expect less.
                          Yeah, keep it for that number... car got $22k with fees

Bid for the chance to own a No Reserve: 2004 BMW M3 Coupe 6-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #144,390.

maw

Comment

Originally posted by James31 View Post

Mk60 was not on the LCI’s exclusive. They were on some pre l I’d as well. Although OP’s would not have it. My statement was about lci vs pre lci specifically
                            Fair enough but let’s be honest - all LCIs have MK60, newer style rod bearings, and all the cosmetic updates. Some also have things like the updated DME capable of running a CSL intake, newer version of LCM, v2 LSD, etc. Even the subframe was improved on the later years. There are hundreds of little things that were improved…

Most members of this forum would place quite a bit of value on that package as a whole. Car collectors who don’t know the e46 m3 by heart or are looking for a low mile garage queen? Not so much..
                            Last edited by PetrolM3; 04-24-2024, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Not sure I understand the difference in mk20 vs mk60 and what makes it desirable? I only have MY 01 and 98 M3's, so I am ignorant to the benefits. The e36 has no traction control and the e46 keeps DSC off, not sure I would know the difference without some track time comparing both

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by fattycharged View Post
                                Not sure I understand the difference in mk20 vs mk60 and what makes it desirable? I only have MY 01 and 98 M3's, so I am ignorant to the benefits. The e36 has no traction control and the e46 keeps DSC off, not sure I would know the difference without some track time comparing both

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
                                MK20 is very intrusive / restrictive during spirited driving and it can even be dangerous (look up ice mode). It can’t be coded for a faster steering rack, bigger brakes or M-track mode (zcp/CSL). MK60 can be useful on street and on track but most spirited drivers opt to turn off the MK20 DSC because of its limitations and intrusiveness which can result in a disaster since you have nothing to save you once you lose control whether it be black ice or an oil spill on a racing track.
                                Last edited by PetrolM3; 04-24-2024, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X