AiM Dash Display install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nickpiper12 View Post

My configuration is specific to my car, not much help on yours to be honest.

I am running a few metrics from the standard AIM configuration on CAN1, and then picking up alot of metrics on CAN2. This is the only way to do it, in my opinion. I have a full list of some CAN ID's I can share in this thread that may be of use.

I have a custom module in place that is emulating the stock cluster, satisfying the MK60/SMG, as well as converting some KBUS/DBUS metrics to CAN.
    That would be good for the other guys considering it in the future.
    I changed my Aim Can Bus directly with the Ecumaster preset, since I run an EMU Black. It gives me a whole lot of additional things to grab. Though the BMW preset works as well for the info the stock ECU distributes on the bus.

What is the custom module you are running for the K-/D-Bus translation? Is this obtainable somewhere?

For the time being, all lighting options work for me using analog inputs. I am only waiting for the mounting fixture delivery and I still have to do the fuel tank sensor measurements, then it's good to go.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 7 mit Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Altaran View Post
      I also revisited the connector pinout of the MK60 as I did not recall K-Line from doing the conversion. There's no pin for K-Line.
      BMW calls it TXD in their wiring diagrams. Pin 2 in the pinout Ted posted.

Here's the entire TXD1 (goes to pin 8 on the OBD II plug) bus:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-06-02 at 7.35.56 PM.png
Views:	141
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	266532
      There's also a TXD2 bus, but that just goes from pin 7 on the OBD II plug to the DME and transmission control module:

Name:	Screenshot 2024-06-02 at 7.39.45 PM.png
Views:	133
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	266533

The two are bridged together by some jumpers on the OBD II plug cap.
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Altaran View Post

Not necessarily, I did an INPA brake fluid flush on my MK60 without any connection to K-line. Only the can bus was connected to transfer information.
        I also revisited the connector pinout of the MK60 as I did not recall K-Line from doing the conversion. There's no pin for K-Line.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 7 mit Tapatalk
        The EDIABAS API (what's under the INPA hood) is written entirely with the DS2 protocol in mind, which is exclusively used on the D-Bus (K-Line). As Heinz points out, CAN isn't even accessible from the OBD-II port.

CAN is used for high speed inter-module communication between the cluster, transmission controller, DME and DSC module.

-Ted

Comment

To access KBUS modules without the cluster, you can add "MODE=KBUS​" to your obd.ini file.

Click image for larger version  Name:	grafik.png Views:	0 Size:	7.9 KB ID:	266594

I personally would completely dismantle any cheap non M3 cluster with coding index 8, code it to M3, mount it to the backside and then read all the important information via CAN.

Seeing you are German, the M3 kph cluster you can sell afterwards will cross finance a lot of other goodies
          Last edited by sda2; 06-03-2024, 07:06 AM.

Comment

Okay can confirm that brake pressures are available on D bus (not K bus) if you request them from the MK60. The following DS2 command is what you need to send out:

Code:
            B8 29 F1 02 21 06 45
            You'll get a response with 15 bytes of data. Front brake pressure is 2 bytes long at data offset 6 and rear brake pressure is 2 bytes long at data offset 8.

Here's my Gauge.S showing the pressures:

Name:	20240604_011154.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	266735

Cross checked with Inpa and they matched.

Note: Raw pressure values are in kPa and are int16_t not uint16_t (i.e. they're in two's complement)
            2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

Been experimenting with this so will add one more thing in case it's useful for anyone else.

There is no way to get brake pressure on CAN from the MK60, even after sending the DS2 command in the previous post. There's some references online to brake pressure being available at CAN ID 0x1F8, but it looks like only AWD cars will do this. The DSC module on AWD cars is different to the MK60, so unless you write some custom MK60 firmware, you're stuck with reading the pressures from D bus.

I was also just made aware of this thing: https://www.airventdisplay.no/en/onl...60-detail.html

Seems useful pretty useful.

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
                Been experimenting with this so will add one more thing in case it's useful for anyone else.

There is no way to get brake pressure on CAN from the MK60, even after sending the DS2 command in the previous post. There's some references online to brake pressure being available at CAN ID 0x1F8, but it looks like only AWD cars will do this. The DSC module on AWD cars is different to the MK60, so unless you write some custom MK60 firmware, you're stuck with reading the pressures from D bus.

I was also just made aware of this thing: https://www.airventdisplay.no/en/onl...60-detail.html

Seems useful pretty useful.
                Is there a way to pull this data into CAN so I can log with a SoloDL?

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

The device Heinz linked would pull that data over to CAN, but otherwise you’re on your own.

Comment

Yeah that device should do what you want.

Another option is to wire a Gauge.S in and have it retransmit the pressures over CAN:
                    - https://shop.sorek.uk/products/gauge...elopment-board
                    - https://github.com/handmade0octopus/...retransmission
                    Keep in mind that if you go this route the Gauge.S will essentially be completely useless except for grabbing and retransmitting brake pressures.

The box is more expensive but at least seems to be plug and play. Gauge.S is cheaper but will require more messing around.

Edit: Actually, I have a second Gauge.S coming my way. If you want an extra cheap way to do it, I'll sell you my old one once the new one arrives. Nothing wrong with it, just wanted the newest board revision
                    Last edited by heinzboehmer; 06-04-2024, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Convert to a Solo2 DL and then you can add analog inputs. You can then monitor oil pressure and brake pressure... that's what I plan to do, amongst some other components. *Edit, I'm surprised you aren't monitoring oil psi already.

I've installed a couple brake pressure kits to wire into a datalogger and it seems like a solid option for a track car. This will give you the idea to piece your own kit together, https://www.moreheadspeedworks.com/p...-pressure-kit/
                      '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
                      Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
                      Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Yeah that device should do what you want.

Another option is to wire a Gauge.S in and have it retransmit the pressures over CAN:
                        - https://shop.sorek.uk/products/gauge...elopment-board
                        - https://github.com/handmade0octopus/...retransmission
                        Keep in mind that if you go this route the Gauge.S will essentially be completely useless except for grabbing and retransmitting brake pressures.

The box is more expensive but at least seems to be plug and play. Gauge.S is cheaper but will require more messing around.

Edit: Actually, I have a second Gauge.S coming my way. If you want an extra cheap way to do it, I'll sell you my old one once the new one arrives. Nothing wrong with it, just wanted the newest board revision
                        So just need to buy Guage S and then upload the code from github? Let me know when you want to sell your old one.

Comment

Originally posted by George Hill View Post

Convert to a Solo2 DL and then you can add analog inputs. You can then monitor oil pressure and brake pressure... that's what I plan to do, amongst some other components. *Edit, I'm surprised you aren't monitoring oil psi already.

I've installed a couple brake pressure kits to wire into a datalogger and it seems like a solid option for a track car. This will give you the idea to piece your own kit together, https://www.moreheadspeedworks.com/p...-pressure-kit/
                          At some point, I will go with an AiM dash which should solve this issue. I just need to accomplish a bunch of other things first - still trying to get the car under 2500 lbs which is proving to be quite the challenge.

I don't pull oil PSI since I use an audible alarm - a piezo siren wired to a pressure switch. There is a super load and annoying alarm (at speed w/ a helmet) if the PSI drops below 20.

Comment

At some point, I will go with an AiM dash which should solve this issue. I just need to accomplish a bunch of other things first - still trying to get the car under 2500 lbs which is proving to be quite the challenge.

I don't pull oil PSI since I use an audible alarm - a piezo siren wired to a pressure switch. There is a super load and annoying alarm (at speed w/ a helmet) if the PSI drops below 20.
                            Ah, thats good. I still think going to a 2 would benefit you. Everything you set up with that will directly transfer to a dash. It would be a stepping stone and if you find a used 2 and sell your 1, the price to change won't be much. *That is what I am doing before I go full dash.
                            '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
                            Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
                            Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

Originally posted by George Hill View Post

Ah, thats good. I still think going to a 2 would benefit you. Everything you set up with that will directly transfer to a dash. It would be a stepping stone and if you find a used 2 and sell your 1, the price to change won't be much. *That is what I am doing before I go full dash.
                              Good point. There is a fear aspect to going to the dash or even a Solo 2 because AiM makes nothing easy. At least for me.

I also got the car to a point where I can do a full weekend at the track and no longer want to push it off a cliff afterwards because of issues. So I'm also hesitant to change anything right now...hahaha

Comment

I just ran the brake pressure signal wires to my AIM PDM32 inputs. It’s a typical 0-5v signal and the scaling is linear. If you want, I can post the sensor scaling.

Comment

Working...
                                X