AiM Dash Display install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ryan_R View Post
    I just ran the brake pressure signal wires to my AIM PDM32 inputs. It’s a typical 0-5v signal and the scaling is linear. If you want, I can post the sensor scaling.
    How do you like the PDM? I've been thinking about one for my other car.
    '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
    Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
    Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

It’s been great so far. Easy to setup and configure if you’re used to race studio and status variables/inputs/output configuration.
      I’m still running the GM5 and heater core and it has no issues powering all that plus the engine and light related components. It’s also nice having the half bridge outputs to control the wipers.
      Only down side was finding out how much current everything in the car draws and realizing I went far too conservative when I built the chassis harness. Suppose it’s better than going the other way.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

So just need to buy Guage S and then upload the code from github? Let me know when you want to sell your old one.
        Kinda. The things on GitHub are just example config files. You can write your own and tell it what to do.

For this, you'd want it to poll D bus for the brake pressures and then retransmit over CAN. There's more info on the wiki if you're interested: https://github.com/handmade0octopus/...ameters-config

I'll reach out when I get my second unit. Can also help set everything up. Should be easy enough to test with both units in hand.
        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by t3ddftw View Post

The EDIABAS API (what's under the INPA hood) is written entirely with the DS2 protocol in mind, which is exclusively used on the D-Bus (K-Line). As Heinz points out, CAN isn't even accessible from the OBD-II port.

CAN is used for high speed inter-module communication between the cluster, transmission controller, DME and DSC module.

-Ted
          Strange, since my ABS is standalone and has a separate OBD Port for which I only wired Battery Positive, Ground, Can Low, Can High. Same Can lines I am feeding information to the AiM device.

My ABS ECU is from E90 so it may behave differently than regular E46 MK60 units…

Originally posted by sda2 View Post
          To access KBUS modules without the cluster, you can add "MODE=KBUS​" to your obd.ini file.

Click image for larger version Name:	grafik.png Views:	0 Size:	7.9 KB ID:	266594

I personally would completely dismantle any cheap non M3 cluster with coding index 8, code it to M3, mount it to the backside and then read all the important information via CAN.

Seeing you are German, the M3 kph cluster you can sell afterwards will cross finance a lot of other goodies
          Good information on the diagnostics, I will try that out sumetime. I don’t really need that cluster anymore, all things are connected directly to the Aim device.

I am German, but my car is a US import. I bought it when I worked in the US 11 years ago. But the cluster does have a kph faceplate…

Also, an update on the progress, I emptied my fuel tank (at least the right side, the left may not have emptied completely) and did some measurements. Below is the raw data table I got from measuring the tank.

Keep the following in mind:
          - Right side may be a bit inaccurate as it may not have been completely empty.
          - I used a 2k Ohm resistor between a +5V output and the sensor signal input. So if anyone in the future wants to use this data, use the same pull up resistor. Also resistors have 5% Tolerance, so I would always suggest redoing the measurements.
          - first 3 liters in the tank do not cause the swimmer to raise, so I suggest starting at 4L
          - Left side fills first, after 37L, the right side swimmer starts moving.

Click image for larger version  Name:	grafik.png Views:	0 Size:	27.3 KB ID:	267983

Comment

Pics from the tank measurement

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 7 mit Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Altaran View Post
              My ABS ECU is from E90 so it may behave differently than regular E46 MK60 units…​
              That might be why.

MK60e5? Think those do broadcast brake pressures over CAN if you want to dig into it.
              2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

That might be why.

MK60e5? Think those do broadcast brake pressures over CAN if you want to dig into it.
                Ya, it does. I do have the can info. It was supplied with the ABS. It also has internal pressure sensors, so I could delete those on the master cylinder.

Comment

Originally posted by Altaran View Post
                  Ya, it does. I do have the can info. It was supplied with the ABS. It also has internal pressure sensors, so I could delete those on the master cylinder.

Awesome. I've been thinking about swapping one of those modules into my own car, but the integration with the rest of the street car modules keeps putting me off

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Awesome. I've been thinking about swapping one of those modules into my own car, but the integration with the rest of the street car modules keeps putting me off
                    If you are running a street setup I would not recommend the standalone unit. Makes all ABS/Braking/DSC related lights lit on the factory cluster. There is another option, you can get a unit based on the E46 CSL/Comp ECU, that will retain all factory functions. But you will only have a performance benefit if you have done significant changes to your car (suspension, R-Compound tires, weight reduction, aero).

I sourced mine from MK Rennsporttechnik, he also has the units will full integration available.

Comment

First extended drive done. Works good, but still got some things to figure out.

Comment

So, the dash is not working 99% as it should.

I had to readjust the tank sensor configuration for the left side sensor, appearantly it did not drain all the way when I initially meassured it. I drove it for 380 kilometers last week and when the pump transferred fuel to the right side, I got readings as far as -15 litres, Since the measurements I took followed a fairly linear function, its simple to adjust.

ABS Information comes in as it should, calculated vehicle speed is shown correcly on the dash now. For anyone trying this in the future, here's the AiM Can presettings for some versions of the ABS:
                        - BMW_Mini Protocol >> MK60 Units found in E46 models. (By the way, there's also a presetting for brake pressure here, but I have not figured out which can message and bit they are grabbing for it.)
                        - BMW PT6 Protocol >> E90/92 regular 3-series based Units, this also corresponds to my standalone unit. More data is available here. Speed is available as dash speed (which shows a slightly higher amount), true vehicle speed, and each wheel speed sensor. Brake pressure readings as an average or for each of the 4 brakes individually
                        - Teves MK60_M5 Protocol >> later units, possibly E92 M3 and onwards. In addition to the above, also has presets for Yaw data streams, inline, and lateral acceleration
                        Each also shows the basics such as ABS warning light, DSC warning light, M-Mode light.

System odometer of the AiM Dash is always zero when you buy it. Obvioulsy all of our cars have more than that. If you want to display it at its proper value theres two options:
                        - Set up a Math Formula in Racestudio to add AiM odometer value to an integer (your previous mileage). However the integer value is limiteg to 5 digits (99999 max). If your mileage is higher you can use a second math formula (or more) until you have added the total mileage.
                        - Set up a remote session with AiM or their distributor, they can adjust the system odometer to whatever you need.

I still have to set up the oil level sensor in the pan. But to do this I will wait for the next oil change. After draining it I can take a readings as I fill in the oil.

Comment

Working...
                        X