Connector on instrument cluster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connector on instrument cluster

So I am going to replace my factory cluster with an AiM Dash.

I like making things reversible, so it would be nice to have a male matching connector that mates to the X11175 and X11176 coming from the harness.

Asides from obtaining another e46 cluster and cutting the connector out of the PCB is there some connector that can be purchased?

Thanks!

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 7 mit Tapatalk

I think 61138364653 will fit the 18 pin connector. Have some at home, can double check later tonight.

Not sure about the other one. I've had some luck searching for the numbers on the connectors and digging around to try and find one that matches.
    2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Okay, well, it doesn't fit. It's very close though and you should be able to use it if you modify it slightly so it doesn't interfere with the keys on the cluster connector.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20240504_004804.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	263704

Name:	20240504_005246~2.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	263705
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

For the 26 pin connector I think what you're after is TE Connectivity Part No 953472-2. It seems that this only comes as a PCB mounted header, (e.g. there doesn't appear to be a Cable-Cable version).

Name:	Screenshot 2024-05-04 at 8.27.16 PM.png
Views:	146
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	263707
        2005 ///M3 SMG Coupe Silbergrau Metallic/CSL bucket seats
        Build Thread:
        https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...e46-m3-journal

Comment

Thanks both, I'll give those a try.

PCB mounted should not be an issue. I can just use female connectors and fix them with non-conductive glue.

Comment

For the 26 pin you want BMW 6909077 - AMP 1-965056-2A

Why are you tapping into that location?

* I have my AiM there as well, but if I was doing it again its very easy/ there are kits for tapping B+, B-, CAN Hi/Lo from the steering angle sensor below there.

This CANbus adapter harness allows for simple plug-n-play installation of data loggers to E46, Z4, and certain Z3 models.
            '00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT
            Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
            Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

No tapping in per se, I am getting rid of the OE instrument panel all together. To make it easy I will build an adapter for the OE connectors to the Aim connector.

The other option is to cut the OEM connectors off and crimp terminals directly on for the Aim connector.

Comment

Originally posted by George Hill View Post
                For the 26 pin you want BMW 6909077 - AMP 1-965056-2A
                legend!
                2005 ///M3 SMG Coupe Silbergrau Metallic/CSL bucket seats
                Build Thread:
                https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...e46-m3-journal

Comment

Originally posted by Altaran View Post
                  No tapping in per se, I am getting rid of the OE instrument panel all together. To make it easy I will build an adapter for the OE connectors to the Aim connector.

The other option is to cut the OEM connectors off and crimp terminals directly on for the Aim connector.

Sorry, "tapping" I meant as in connecting to the circuit. You can accomplish the same thing at the steering angle sensor if you only need B+, B-, CAN Hi/Lo. I usually just snip the connectors off a car at the junkyard, then splice them together to make the sub harness.

Works the same way you are proposing just thought it might be easier as you can buy something off the shelf too.

*Here's one I use for logging CAN bus info (only CAN connections)

'00 R11S, '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Gray 332iT (SOLD), '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Japan Rot 325iT

Comment

I plan to also connect other inputs regularly going to the OE dash such as outside temperature, lighting, fuel tank sensors, oil level and coolant level. Otherwise you are right, tapping in the can bus on another location would be easier.

Comment

Interesting... what dash are you using? I like the idea but thats going to take up a bunch of inputs requiring at least one expansion module as well (assuming you are using some non OE sensors as well AFR, Oil PSI, etc)?

How are you planning to wire the outside temp and fuel level sensors so the wiring can be reversed?

What lighting info are you going to pull?

I have a Solo2 that I am replacing a Solo1 with and will add some additional sensors, one day a dash will be on the to do list.

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
                        Okay, well, it doesn't fit. It's very close though and you should be able to use it if you modify it slightly so it doesn't interfere with the keys on the cluster connector.

Name:	20240504_004804.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	263704

Name:	20240504_005246~2.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	263705
                        I just want to give you a heads up for always willing to help, I see you offering advice/assistance to so many people. You're a cutie.

Comment

Originally posted by George Hill View Post
                          Interesting... what dash are you using? I like the idea but thats going to take up a bunch of inputs requiring at least one expansion module as well (assuming you are using some non OE sensors as well AFR, Oil PSI, etc)?

How are you planning to wire the outside temp and fuel level sensors so the wiring can be reversed?

What lighting info are you going to pull?

I have a Solo2 that I am replacing a Solo1 with and will add some additional sensors, one day a dash will be on the to do list.
                          That´s why I was planning to make an adapter for the OE connector as that's all in there. (Link to the Pinout: https://www.bmwgm5.com/E46_IKE_Connections.htm)

For lighting, I need all the info that normally goes to the OE Cluster as my car retains street legality: Activation of headlights (parking light, low beam, high beam), turn signals, rear fog light. Since my car is an early model the pinout lists an analog lighting connection, not sure yet, but I may be able to pull all of that through the k-bus. In addition I will also add a Bosch Motorsport Oil Level and pressure sensor, as I want accurate data (OE Oil temp is calculated so its not accurate) and I may add a fuel pressure sensor at some point.

I ordered an AiM MXG 1.3. Its a 7" Dash, Animalracing has a cluster mount so it drops in nicely into the OE position. I ordered the race version, as it has a larger amount of inputs and I want the datalogging features for the track. Price is stupid high, but I was not able to find suitable alternatives. The strada version will work if you do not plan on using datalogging and it has different connectors with less inputs. But you can get the race version with street symbols on the side. (https://www.aimtechnologies.com/aim-mxg/)

In case anyone else is considering this in the future, there is a dash from Ecumaster (the ADU 7) that has a considerably lower price point and has most of the same features. However, the ADU only lets you change frequencies on one of the two CAN connections, on is fixed to 1mbps. Since I run a standalone ABS, I need both CAN circuits at 500kbps, so I cannot use this part. The abs has a different bit length, so I cant put them on one circuit.

The other option is a Bosch Motorsport Dash (DDU 10) that BMW uses on the M4 GT3 Racecar. For me, €8k was a bit too much to spend on a dash.

On the M4 GT4 BMW also uses the AiM MXG, so this works for me.

Comment

That´s why I was planning to make an adapter for the OE connector as that's all in there. (Link to the Pinout: https://www.bmwgm5.com/E46_IKE_Connections.htm)
                            Traditionally the fuel level sensor signals are combined and routed from the AiM to the ground, I guess you would just jump them together at X1175 and then route to ground from that connector as well?

Same with the outside temp sensor as it doesn't just go to ground but the signal goes out and comes back to the cluster as well.

For lighting, I need all the info that normally goes to the OE Cluster as my car retains street legality: Activation of headlights (parking light, low beam, high beam), turn signals, rear fog light. Since my car is an early model the pinout lists an analog lighting connection, not sure yet, but I may be able to pull all of that through the k-bus. In addition I will also add a Bosch Motorsport Oil Level and pressure sensor, as I want accurate data (OE Oil temp is calculated so its not accurate) and I may add a fuel pressure sensor at some point.

I ordered an AiM MXG 1.3. Its a 7" Dash, Animalracing has a cluster mount so it drops in nicely into the OE position. I ordered the race version, as it has a larger amount of inputs and I want the datalogging features for the track. Price is stupid high, but I was not able to find suitable alternatives. The strada version will work if you do not plan on using datalogging and it has different connectors with less inputs. But you can get the race version with street symbols on the side. (https://www.aimtechnologies.com/aim-mxg/)
                            I like the MXG as well, just put one in an E36, it is what I would put in my car too. Knowing you have to retain all of the OE functions adds a ton of work to the install and you are going to have a bunch of extra inputs that most people don't require. Sounds very interesting, are you planning to document the install here?

Comment

If you weren't aware, AIM can get the outside temp, water temp, and fuel level from the car's canbus, so you won't need to figure that part out.
                              It can also get the oil temp from the car -- I wasn't aware it was calculated, so as you know, you will need to add a sensor for a direct reading, as well as one each for oil and fuel pressure.

With the Aim software (Race Studio 3), it is fairly easy to set up the calibration curves of the sensors once you get the hang of RS3.

Comment

Working...
                              X