No announcement yet.

Shift Rod / Shift Lever Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In my experience, shifter mods are similar to many things for this car, like exhaust in particular. You can make changes, but they're seldom much better than fresh stock. What changes is your perception, which is also influenced by the apparant "coolness'' factor, cost, cost for labor if not DIY'd for example. So a different muffler makes the car louder, but does it sound better? Not really. Some more than others, but the exhaust sound just isn't great, nor is the feel of our getrag (esp at lower speeds and colder temps).

IMO, the best thin you can do, which took me years to arrive at, is all new stock parts, but a tighter fitting (poly or delrin) nose bushing, and I like a weighted selector rod. Everything else stock. Then inside the car, a tall knob is best for leverage, and weighted helps too so enter the M performance knob which is the dimensions of stock, but heavier.
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Am I the only one that loves the stock feel? I have a short shifter on another car and feel no desire to bother with one on the e46. Sure it takes a little more concentration than some cars, but the 420g is very satisfying when you do it right.

Comment

While I appreciate the fitness humor, no amount of rows could fix the issue.

Anyway, it just feels wrong. I had an 02 years ago, not sure with which shifter setup, but felt great.

I’ll play around with the shift rod etc and see what happens.

as an aside - my auto solutions ssk was pre owned.

Originally posted by Sharocks View Post
        Go to the gym.

It's just that you're not used to putting extra effort to get it into gear.

It was also an SMG car so how could you even do that beforehand.

AS kits also take about 500 miles or so to break in.

The increased effort will be there always as a compromise but it shifts more directly always.

If that bothers you, do not ever buy a Porsche GT product with a manual lol.

Comment

I personally don't like a notchy shifter either, wanted an OEM-like feel but a slightly shorter throw. I also didn't want a ridiculously short as-in height shifter either. I found a combination I really like. I'm using an e60 545i part number 25117546373 shifter rod with a normal height (non-zhp) shifter knob. All new OEM BMW bushings and pieces. Shifts super smooth not notchy but still precise and better than stock.

Here is mine without the boot to show the height

With boot
          Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread
          Japanrot Red E46 330i Msport k24/dct/turbo Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
            In my experience, shifter mods are similar to many things for this car, like exhaust in particular. You can make changes, but they're seldom much better than fresh stock. What changes is your perception, which is also influenced by the apparant "coolness'' factor, cost, cost for labor if not DIY'd for example. So a different muffler makes the car louder, but does it sound better? Not really. Some more than others, but the exhaust sound just isn't great, nor is the feel of our getrag (esp at lower speeds and colder temps).

IMO, the best thin you can do, which took me years to arrive at, is all new stock parts, but a tighter fitting (poly or delrin) nose bushing, and I like a weighted selector rod. Everything else stock. Then inside the car, a tall knob is best for leverage, and weighted helps too so enter the M performance knob which is the dimensions of stock, but heavier.
            Lots of truth there and that's why I put all OE stuff in the majority of my SMG -> 6MT conversions instead of aftermarket.
            The stock bushings do loosen up a bit with use and age but better that than something too short, too harsh, too notchy or rattly.

I have all stock fresh bushings w/ performance lever (330d) and weighted gooseneck knob in my blue car and it's just bliss. With that said my red car came with the Rogue Engineering kit and it's the best one I've felt to date. I think the weighted selector rod has something to do with it but from experience there is a small amount of variance amongst 420Gs. Some just feel a little better than others.
            IG: @limited.slip

Imola Red E46 330i ZHP Sedan S54 6MT
            Alpine White E90 M3 6MT
            Alpine White 1 Series M
            A̶l̶p̶i̶n̶e̶ W̶h̶i̶t̶e̶ E̶4̶6̶ 3̶2̶5̶i̶ T̶o̶u̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ S̶5̶4̶ 6̶M̶T̶
            T̶i̶t̶a̶n̶i̶u̶m̶ S̶i̶l̶v̶e̶r̶ E̶3̶9̶ 5̶4̶0̶i̶ M̶-̶S̶p̶o̶r̶t̶ ​T̶o̶u̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ S̶6̶2̶ 6̶M̶T̶

Comment

My blue m3 had an AS 20% SSK and the silver m3 has an AS Autocross 25% SSK. Both feel smooth to me..the percent reduction in yours might be too high and/or it could be due to some variation in your trans.

I used to run an E60 shift lever, and with a shifter rebuild it felt great. The reduction is about 17%. It doesn’t feel as precise/bolt action-like compared to my AS SSKs, but it’s still a great improvement vs the stock setup.

^all of these setups were paired with the OE broomstick. I used a ZHP shift knob for just two days with the E60 lever and immediately went back to the broomstick. Excessively notchy and would not recommend.
              Silver Track to Street Car Journal
              Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

Originally posted by kaiv View Post

Lots of truth there and that's why I put all OE stuff in the majority of my SMG -> 6MT conversions instead of aftermarket.
                The stock bushings do loosen up a bit with use and age but better that than something too short, too harsh, too notchy or rattly.

I have all stock fresh bushings w/ performance lever (330d) and weighted gooseneck knob in my blue car and it's just bliss. With that said my red car came with the Rogue Engineering kit and it's the best one I've felt to date. I think the weighted selector rod has something to do with it but from experience there is a small amount of variance amongst 420Gs. Some just feel a little better than others.
                It's interesting that there are numerous reports of variance amongst 420Gs and I value your input on this as it's clear you've done quite a few swaps and have probably experienced more 420Gs than most of the rest of us. Is it not strange that there's perceivable variance on what I would consider a high caliber transmission? One would think that these are high precision units and while there's obviously always some variance, it's strange to me that it's so much that it's noticeable...

What are your thoughts on the ZHP ZF 6 speed? Do you think it can easily handle S54 power for those considering this pairing, or is the 420G really that much more capable and durable? I may consider doing an S54 swap on my non-M sedan but would really love to use the ZF instead of getrag.

Cheers

Comment

I quite like how the ZF feels personally but there many reports of the first to second shift grinding when rushed at redline (Z4 M).
                  IG: @limited.slip

Imola Red E46 330i ZHP Sedan S54 6MT
                  Alpine White E90 M3 6MT
                  Alpine White 1 Series M
                  A̶l̶p̶i̶n̶e̶ W̶h̶i̶t̶e̶ E̶4̶6̶ 3̶2̶5̶i̶ T̶o̶u̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ S̶5̶4̶ 6̶M̶T̶
                  T̶i̶t̶a̶n̶i̶u̶m̶ S̶i̶l̶v̶e̶r̶ E̶3̶9̶ 5̶4̶0̶i̶ M̶-̶S̶p̶o̶r̶t̶ ​T̶o̶u̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ S̶6̶2̶ 6̶M̶T̶

Comment

Originally posted by kaiv View Post
                    I quite like how the ZF feels personally but there many reports of the first to second shift grinding when rushed at redline (Z4 M).
                    I've read those too, I guess that would be an issue for track cars or aggressive street use but if it's the only limitation, I won't hesitate as I also love the ZF compared to 420G.

Comment

For a slight reduction in throw, I went with the 330d lever, new cup, weighted shift knob, and also did brass clutch pedal bushings (not that it makes a difference for the shifter). Also, not sure why people are saying it's slightly off center, had mine for 10+ years and my 330d lever is centered and shifts perfectly. Looking forward to a CAE shifter down the road.

Comment

Has anyone used the AutoSolutions Shift Rod, and Shifter carrier with the OEM Shifter Lever? Is the Shift rod the OEM length?

Comment

Originally posted by dukeofchen View Post

This got me thinking, especially with the grumpy second gear in the 420G. With my particular trans / fluid at least the way to get the smoothest action seems to be a brief but deliberate pause at neutral.

I wonder if part of the problem is just that by nature an SSK is going to quicken the shift and accentuate this characteristic, in which case I would rather go back to the OE length lever and throw in the weighted broomstick for added dampening. And why folks on here get AS kits with reduction as low as 0%.

My car never sees scenarios where a marginally quicker shift makes a difference, and at my mileage reducing wear to any degree is desirable.
                          My own oversight, but at some point the clutch stop in my car fell off, I forgot to reinstall it when changing pedal bushings, or it had been missing from the PO. Forgot about it until this thread and made the DIY elevator bolt version for a couple bucks, and it's made a huge difference 🤦‍♂️. The box is definitely less grumpy now that I can more accurately time the shifts with better feel for the engagement point.
                          Last edited by dukeofchen; 06-26-2024, 11:40 AM.
                          '04 LSB Coupe 6MT
                          All my money goes towards maintenance.

Comment

I went with the BMW Performance Shifter coupled with the turner poly selector rod bushing and ECS Teflon selector bushings. No NVH increase that I can detect from the bushings.

I really like the setup but it is notchy due to the transmission itself.

if I were doing it today I would add in a DSSR
                            Last edited by Carbonvert; 06-26-2024, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Autosolutions SSK here for over a decade and still love it! As someone who ONLY owns manuals on my E46s it without question is the best “over all” SSK on the market. I’ve tried many. Granted not everyone drives a manual daily so being introduced to manual driving can be a chore to some. And everyone has their own opinion on what they like so understandibly enjoyment levels differ. Along with body and in cabin shifting geometry of each person and transmission tolerances, trans fluid brand/weight and motor/trans mounts. Heck the fact that AS makes several different levels of reduction now just goes to show one size does not fit all wants/desires.

If switching I suggest a weighted selector rod, ALL new bushings and carrier bearing. The fulcrum ball socket point is a major factor in how it’ll shift. About 30 yrs ago Ron Stygar made a graph to give ideas to those newer to this subject.
                              6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

Working...
                              X