No announcement yet.

Vanos work, good time for cams?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd love to do a set of street cams. Do most people think the 288/280s are the way to go for a mostly street car? I'd rather not loose midrange power for a few hp up top.

Comment

Originally posted by Ob917 View Post
      I'd love to do a set of street cams. Do most people think the 288/280s are the way to go for a mostly street car? I'd rather not loose midrange power for a few hp up top.
      IMO 280/272s are better than 288/280s for everything other than raised compression, 8700rpm, etc builds.

And, fwiw, Schrick says DLC followers are recommended for 280/272 but required for 288/280.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

I almost wish I had done it during my VANOS work. I keep making myself not buy cams or a Supersprint section 2 and muffler because I want to put that money towards seats (on their way!) and CF roof.

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

IMO 280/272s are better than 288/280s for everything other than raised compression, 8700rpm, etc builds.

And, fwiw, Schrick says DLC followers are recommended for 280/272 but required for 288/280.
          I’m at about 10k miles on mine with stock rockers with no issues to report.

Comment

280/272s would run fine with CSL sw correct?
            2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
            Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
            Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
            RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
            Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
              280/272s would run fine with CSL sw correct?
              Anything other than actual CSL cams should ideally be tuned. Both the 280s and 288s run well enough on the CSL tune that you can get away with it. Though the 288s benefit from tweaking the dme parameters to compensate for the pumping losses introduced by the bigger cams.

Comment

Do Schrick cams require swapping the pressure relief valve over from the stock cams?

To those of you that haven’t changed to new rocker arms are you all using Schrick cams?

Can anyone provide feedback on the Cat cams? Do they require new rocker arms?

Comment

Schrick here. I didn’t need to swap with mine

Comment

Thats when I did mine. But my head took a beating from vanos being vanos. So I rebuilt everything. Doing it again, get a fresh head, OE everything, throw cams in, tune.
                    2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
                    2005 BMW ///M3
                    Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
                    2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
                    2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
                    2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Working...
                    X