Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by S54B32 View Post

Haha, now way... the guy with one of the badest reputations in Germany
    I wouldn't have posted them for engine software, cluster repair is easy enough.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 7 mit Tapatalk

2002 E46 M3 TiAg Coupé >> full tracktool conversion @m346gt
    2000 986 Boxster S >> ice cream getter
    Past: E46 330Ci, 944S2, 996 C4S

Comment

Originally posted by liam821 View Post

Even easier, just unsolder the ROM chip from the bad gauge cluster and solder it into the new gauge cluster, bam done. No need to reprogram or anything. I think there are a few different models of cluster though, so you need to make sure you get the same as whatever you have now.

My daughter's gauge cluster died in her e46 and this is exactly what I did, got another cluster for $20 and used my hot-air station to swap the ROM chip over. No tamper light, mileage the same. I do recommend using a hot-air station if you have access to it, the rom chip is very small, perhaps 5mm square in size.
      Problem is, they changed the type of eeprom from e46 early to late clusters, so before swapping check if same time of eeprom (like marking with M35080/080DQW, socket is SOIC-8). If you don't want to buy hot air station (highly recommend!) you can buy "chip quick", look it up on YouTube for diy's to solder out a chip.
      …under construction.

Comment

I would also hit up this guy, he's help fix my cluster on multiple occasions.

Comment

Originally posted by S54B32 View Post

Problem is, they changed the type of eeprom from e46 early to late clusters, so before swapping check if same time of eeprom (like marking with M35080/080DQW, socket is SOIC-8). If you don't want to buy hot air station (highly recommend!) you can buy "chip quick", look it up on YouTube for diy's to solder out a chip.
          Yeah, this. Make sure the replacement cluster is the same. If not, you'll have to reprogram it. And using a hot-air station is highly recommended. It's a very small chip.

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post

That is awesome and a great idea and solution! Would you happen to have a pic of the ROM Chip location on our clusters? I definitely need to try this ASAP LOL
          It's really pretty easy, the hardest part is getting the cluster apart. Obviously, take apart your broken cluster first trying not to break it so you can do it on the new one successfully. I'd also recommend watching a few videos on how to use a hot-air station and trying it on an old broken motherboard (or something) to remove a few chips to get the hang of it.

This is the chip

It's this little chip in the middle here:

Phoenix Yellow e46m3 Build Thread
          Japanrot Red E46 330i Msport k24/dct/turbo Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by liam821 View Post

Yeah, this. Make sure the replacement cluster is the same. If not, you'll have to reprogram it. And using a hot-air station is highly recommended. It's a very small chip.

It's really pretty easy, the hardest part is getting the cluster apart. Obviously, take apart your broken cluster first trying not to break it so you can do it on the new one successfully. I'd also recommend watching a few videos on how to use a hot-air station and trying it on an old broken motherboard (or something) to remove a few chips to get the hang of it.

This is the chip

It's this little chip in the middle here:

That's awesome! Thanks for the info

Comment

Working...
            X