All-season tire recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All-season tire recommendations

I’m debating putting all-seasons on my M3 rather then summers for the below reasons. Any recommendations on whether or not this is a bad idea and if not which tires to get?

Rationale:
    1. I live in the north east where it can get cold for much of the year. This won’t be my daily driver so no need for snow or extreme weather capability. However, I would like to drive the car on a nice, sub 45F day.
    2. I don’t plan on track days anytime soon but perhaps just an autox or 2.
    3. I eventually (2-3 years?) want to buy a set of summer wheels (RAC RG-63s are the dream) which I’ll mount high performance tires.

Anything in this category will fit your criteria. The autox performance will be lacking compared to a summer tire.

I personally run the Bridgestone RE980AS+

Comment

Appreciate the input and understand the autox limits.

anyone else have suggestions? I’m looking at the Vred and Pirelli options as well.

Comment

I've always enjoyed Michelin Pilot Sport All-Seasons on my dailies in the past. We have good-to-miserable (hot) weather here but it sucks to get caught with your shorts down when it gets sub 32F. The difference is pretty drastic in those conditions...not great, but you're also not rendered useless. I also realized I'm not really pushing it that much in my daily so it wasn't even really a compromise in terms of performance. If you have a friend who works for Michelin, they get some pretty insane discounts/free stuff.
        /// 2004 SG/IR - Build Thread

Comment

Conti DWS.
          2005 Phoenix Yellow M3 Coupe 6spd
          2013 Interlagos Blue M3 Coupe 6spd ZCP, CF roof
          2007 Imola Red Z4M Coupe

Comment

Michelin AS4.

Comment

Doesn't sound like you really need all seasons. I'd argue no one does. If you have to drive it in the snow get another car..

I still take mine out on summers in CT down to about 35. They're fine once warmed up, as long as your not stupid. Just don't get track tires, those might actually crack in the cold. Normal performance summers will do you good. I've never had a problem.

Even if this was your daily, I'd say summers and get a beater for the winter.
              Last edited by 01SG; 07-01-2024, 03:25 PM.

Comment

If the car is garage kept, driven occasionally in cold weather, and not driven in sub-freezing temperatures then you really don't need all-seasons. The key is if its in a some-what climate controlled garage then it will probably be warm enough to not have an issue.

Comment

I’ve run PS4S on my M5 down to 25 degrees or so, no issues if you’re careful and I believe Michelin says 20 degrees is the real limit. That said I’ll be going AS4 next time. For a street only tire a good high performance all season makes a lot of sense. They last longer too.

I even went out in my instructor’s E90 330i with much shittier all seasons than the Michelins on track and it was a blast.

Comment

Thanks the feedback guys.

I’m still torn between AS and summers but am leaning towards summers as the car will be kept in an attached garage that is insulated but not heated.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammerfang View Post
                      Thanks the feedback guys.

I’m still torn between AS and summers but am leaning towards summers as the car will be kept in an attached garage that is insulated but not heated.
                      Then I'd have a plan to keep the summers in climate control when its really cold. Especially PS4S...they will get hard and lose its grip pretty quickly if they are not kept in a warm-ish place most of the time - like high 50s or 60s I think would be ideal.

Comment

Hmmm, I’m not looking to have to store the tires when it’s cold and I only have one set of tires.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

Then I'd have a plan to keep the summers in climate control when its really cold. Especially PS4S...they will get hard and lose its grip pretty quickly if they are not kept in a warm-ish place most of the time - like high 50s or 60s I think would be ideal.
                          They'll never have the same grip once you're actually driving anyway. Not sure about PS4S in particular, but with typical summer tires you don't need to store them in a heated garage. I won't drive on them below freezing, but my tires have never suffered merely from sitting through the winter in an unheated garage.

Comment

Originally posted by 01SG View Post

They'll never have the same grip once you're actually driving anyway. Not sure about PS4S in particular, but with typical summer tires you don't need to store them in a heated garage. I won't drive on them below freezing, but my tires have never suffered merely from sitting through the winter in an unheated garage.
                            Most summer tires come with a warning against exposing the tire to low temps. RS3s and PS4S lose pliability and grip if they see freezing temps in my experience. That is something I have not wanted to repeat so not sure about other tires. But I've seen most 200 utoq tires come with a warning against exposure to extremely low temps.

Comment

Went for PS4S.

Comment

Working...
                              X