No announcement yet.

Tipping Transport drivers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I tipped 50 on 900 or something when I had my trailer delivered. Was right on time, communicated along the way, everything in perfect condition, made my life easy so I thanked him and gave him a little extra. He was super appreciative and now I know who I can call and trust, and he will pick up. I don't over-think it though. If it feels right do it, if not whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post

Since COVID?
      What changed since covid? People became more greedy and unhappy to do work they were paid for in the first place? Delivery prices easily doubled since covid, just for perspective.
      Again, don't mind tipping, justification is lacking though.
      BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
      https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

Originally posted by TexaZ3 View Post

What changed since covid? People became more greedy and unhappy to do work they were paid for in the first place? Delivery prices easily doubled since covid, just for perspective.
        Again, don't mind tipping, justification is lacking though.
        COVID brought about the tipping culture we have right now. People were so happy people were still going to work that they tipped for everything.

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post

COVID brought about the tipping culture we have right now. People were so happy people were still going to work that they tipped for everything.
          And that is exactly why it is so wrong. Tipping is such an American thing. It does not exist anywhere in the world outside US. In many countries, tipping is considered disrespectful.
          BMW / E46M Interior & Trim Restoration.
          https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/c...ch-restoration

Comment

It depends on the situation for me, I rarely tip owners as I feel the tip is built into the price (it is for me at least), but for employees if I think they went above and beyond or just made my experience better then I tip.
            '09 HP2S, '12 R12GSA, '00 Black 323iT, '02 Alpine 325iT (Track Wagon), '02 Alpine 330iT
            Instagram @HillPerformanceBimmers
            Email to George@HillPerformance.com

Comment

I am a very good tipper always, but for shipping the car, I did not feel the need to tip the transport driver who came to VA.
              Glad I didn't too, as there was blatant undisclosed damage to the car when I rcd it that was not on the inspection report they spent over an hour preparing with the seller in SA, TX.
              Then I had to fight the shipper to get reimbursed for the damage.
              Every situation is different though and if I feel someone has really gone out of their way for me, that's certainly worth a reward.

Comment

I tip my hat to them, "good day sir."
                Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Originally posted by TexaZ3 View Post

And that is exactly why it is so wrong. Tipping is such an American thing. It does not exist anywhere in the world outside US. In many countries, tipping is considered disrespectful.
                  100%. It's gotten out of hand, especially here in California. I just ordered something online from a company here and at checkout it asked me for tips for their employees providing "packaging services", wtf? After the pandemic, I came back from a decade of living in Japan where tipping is absolutely not a thing. Was definitely a culture shock/re-adjustment. Outside of a sit-in restaurant or a slipping a buck or two to my barista, I don't usually tip. My sister (who worked in the service industry for several years) and I have strong differing opinions on this and often bicker about it, ha.

Edit: forgot I am also ok with tipping people like bellhops, housekeeping, valets, and of course my barber. But it's not exactly like I use these services often, besides the barber.
                  Last edited by shibui; 07-10-2024, 08:38 AM.

Comment

My new rule is, if I'm standing I don't tip.

It's gotten way, way out of hand.
                    2004 Dinan S3-R M3
                    2012 Dinan S1 X5M

Comment

There's a cafe/restaurant in LA that charges 20% on top of takeout orders haha.
                      2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
                        There's a cafe/restaurant in LA that charges 20% on top of takeout orders haha.
                        There are loads of places that include a service charge, and they usually don't make it easy to tell, in hopes that you'll tip twice.

Back to the subject, the reason I tipped my delivery driver was because he brought the car to a hard to access street, parked his hauler illegally, and made it easier for me at his own risk. I didn't feel it was "expected"
                        http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                        '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                        '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

The guy that shipped my M5 over to LA for me, I brought him Thai food (I was already getting Thai food, so whatever).

Actual cash tip, nope.
                          2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
                          2005 BMW ///M3
                          Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
                          2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
                          2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
                          2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Nate047 View Post

There are loads of places that include a service charge, and they usually don't make it easy to tell, in hopes that you'll tip twice.

Back to the subject, the reason I tipped my delivery driver was because he brought the car to a hard to access street, parked his hauler illegally, and made it easier for me at his own risk. I didn't feel it was "expected"
                            Ya but 20% on top for fucking take out? Also son of a gun on 3rd charges an 18% service charge and expects a 20% tip on top of that like you said. I've paid stupid amounts for food but I'm not paying 25 bux for a chicken sandwich.

I just avoid those places now and pretty much just support my sushi joint downtown and artisanal pizza joint on the west side.
                            2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by George Hill View Post
                              It depends on the situation for me, I rarely tip owners as I feel the tip is built into the price (it is for me at least), but for employees if I think they went above and beyond or just made my experience better then I tip.
                              ☝🏼 this

I tip when I am overly appreciative to someone who goes above and beyond. Showing up on time with my vehicle, un damaged, is exactly what I paid for, in advance…

Mandatory tipping, requesting a tip, a fucking sign mentioning tipping, will just get you an awkward conversation with me, about how ridiculous an expected tip is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X