Trunk interior paint suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trunk interior paint suggestions

Hey all — I’m finally getting around to my Vincebar installation. From what I can tell, and also from searching around here, the factory uses some kind of grayish pain/primer on the interior sheet metal, then sort of sloppily applies the body color over it. (Maybe it’s just overspray from the paint job.)

I’ve seen people use POR15 and some other things to replicate that grayish paint. Has anyone found an actual color that matches reasonably well to the factory color? Once it’s on there, I plan to partially spray over it with Jet Black.

BMW sells a special spray can specifically for this purpose, they call it spare wheel paint.
    Part number 51910411026, if you can’t find it, it’s RAL 7003.

I first apply primer (2k epoxy), then this spare wheel paint which is a perfect match for the factory greenish grey color, and then I spray body color from a further distance than recommended for a spray can to replicate the factory overspray.
    E46 ///M3 • 12/2002 • phönix-gelb • 6MT
    E39 ///M5 • 12/1998 • avus-blau • 6MT
    E60 ///M5 • 11/2006 • saphir-schwarz • 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by bmwfnatic View Post
      and then I spray body color from a further distance than recommended for a spray can to replicate the factory overspray.
      Interesting. I tried this with my LSB every which way using base coat. Didn't come close. Matching this interior color has been a mystery.

Comment

An interesting topic. When i did mine i repainted the area with the factory imola color. It still looks great, but youre right, it doesnt look factory at all.

Comment

Originally posted by divedoc View Post
          Hey all — I’m finally getting around to my Vincebar installation. From what I can tell, and also from searching around here, the factory uses some kind of grayish pain/primer on the interior sheet metal, then sort of sloppily applies the body color over it. (Maybe it’s just overspray from the paint job.)

I’ve seen people use POR15 and some other things to replicate that grayish paint. Has anyone found an actual color that matches reasonably well to the factory color? Once it’s on there, I plan to partially spray over it with Jet Black.
          IMHO best way is to get it custom colour matched. I did this for the underside RACP reinforcement - I think I found a small piece in the trunk that was removable and gave that to the paint matcher. Easiest way to guarantee a match.
          2005 ///M3 SMG Coupe Silbergrau Metallic/CSL bucket seats
          Build Thread:
          https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...e46-m3-journal

Comment

Working...
          X