Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgraded Diff Cover Options

Hey all -

Does anyone know of a shop that makes an “upgraded” rear differential cover (billet/etc?) that isn’t an outlandish $1K?

My answer is, "no, I don't know". But I've also not heard of an "upgraded" cover; what did you have in mind as an upgrade?

Comment

VAC does

Comment

Its $1K lol

Comment

And designing and then milling something takes time and effort. Whats wrong with the OEM cover?

Comment

Stick with the OE cover. There is nothing to improve.

The VAC cover is a fraudulent piece of shit. It will greatly increase the temperature of the diff oil and significantly accelerate bearing wear.

The rotation of the ring gear carries oil over the LSD carrier to the pinion bearings. Then you can see some passages by the pinion gear which allows the oil to drain back to the bottom of the diff. The diff cover has a curvature which helps promote the ring gear carrying oil over the LSD unit. The VAC cover is flat which will cause excessive turbulence and lead to poor lubrication of the pinion bearings. The turbulence behind the ring gear will increase the diff oil temps and likely result in the oil foaming. Also the LSD unit will get less lubrication.

Comment

Specifically what do you hope to gain by an "upgraded" diff cover?

Comment

Do you have an upgraded diff?
                Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
                  Stick with the OE cover. There is nothing to improve.

The VAC cover is a fraudulent piece of shit. It will greatly increase the temperature of the diff oil and significantly accelerate bearing wear.

The rotation of the ring gear carries oil over the LSD carrier to the pinion bearings. Then you can see some passages by the pinion gear which allows the oil to drain back to the bottom of the diff. The diff cover has a curvature which helps promote the ring gear carrying oil over the LSD unit. The VAC cover is flat which will cause excessive turbulence and lead to poor lubrication of the pinion bearings. The turbulence behind the ring gear will increase the diff oil temps and likely result in the oil foaming. Also the LSD unit will get less lubrication.
                  Is the design of the Gearlab one any better?

Announcing our much anticipated Gear Lab Billet Aluminium finned Diff Cover. We have been working on this cover for many months and are now delighted to bring you the best product possible. The cover boasts some great upgrades over the OE stock differential cover and other flat back aftermarket covers available.   GearLab Motorsport Billet 6082-T6 Finned Differential Cover Bush Mount   Available for the E46 M3 2000-2006   Check out some of the upgrades. • Machined from billet T6 aluminium. • Improved oil flow. • Improved design to improve cooling efficiency and heat dispersion. • Muffler silencer breather vent to avoid any debris or contamination entering the differential. • Increased oil capacity. • Oil breather baffling plate. • Pre-machined blind hole for oil temperature sensor. • Comes with original OE bush mounts for fast road vehicles or solid mounts for Track focused users. (No bushes are included however can be purchased separately, can also be used with power flex or Super Pro bushes all can be provided at additional cost) • Includes 2 pin Temperature sensor which monitors -40°C up to 150°C ideal for race applications or fast road users. (2 pin male connector 1PR) • Increased strength over OE stock cover. • 10mm solid mounting support (to avoid the common crack on the OE stock cover) • Neodymium magnetic swarf collection plug. • Laser printed Gearlab logo • Oil cooler compatibility. • Inlet and outlet ports for oil cooler or catch can. (AN12) • Fitting kit included (X8 12.9g High tensile Allen head securing bolts) • Anodized in two colours Black or Silver These improvements all help increase the performance, oil life and economy of your differential. No more cracked mounting brackets which are common on the OE stock cover. The cover is specifically designed to minimise aeration within the oil, this helps to reduce heat and viscosity degradation of the oil. Fluid flow pathways allow oil to direct to key areas, imperative to the longevity of any differential. We have created the optimum distance between the crown wheel and the oil raceway for the most efficient paddles of oil to be directed were its needed most.

Standard:

Comment

Originally posted by Mike RT4 View Post
                    I still don't understand what problem an aftermarket diff cover is solving? What is the motivation to change?
                    2005 ///M3 SMG Coupe Silbergrau Metallic/CSL bucket seats
                    Build Thread:
                    https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...e46-m3-journal

Comment

Originally posted by karter16 View Post

I still don't understand what problem an aftermarket diff cover is solving? What is the motivation to change?
                      For road use, none at all.

But according to Tom Schirmer, the rear diff overheats on extended track use (and is why all the Schirmer cars run diff coolers) as once the oil goes outside it's normal operating range, the diff stops working as it should.

I've actually just fitted a diff temperature gauge to my car and will be collecting track data tomorrow to confirm what I see in my own car (I prefer to test, not guess):
                      ​ This is a car that I have owned since 18 March 2013. I was fortunate to have purchased it long before the current crazy price hikes, where the intention was to use it as BMW intended. So although the car is pampered and wants for nothing, it does get used on trackdays in the UK as well as at the Nurburgring (my favourite

Comment

Originally posted by karter16 View Post

This - Im pretty certain it’s a part you want to stay OE with and I know Ian will chime in with the words of wisdom to stay away from VAC parts

Comment

Run an actual cooler instead if fluid temps are a concern.

Comment

That looks to be a better design than the VAC...which is the similar to OE. Again, what's the point?

You're gonna have to run it really hard on the street to overheat the diff fluid.

Comment

For road use, none at all.

But according to Tom Schirmer, the rear diff overheats on extended track use (and is why all the Schirmer cars run diff coolers) as once the oil goes outside it's normal operating range, the diff stops working as it should.

I've actually just fitted a diff temperature gauge to my car and will be collecting track data tomorrow to confirm what I see in my own car (I prefer to test, not guess):
                              https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...k-m3-csl/page3
                              Yeah for sure, I've been following your journal with interest. I guess in that context though it's more about running a cooler though right, rather than a billet diff cover magically fixing the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              2005 ///M3 SMG Coupe Silbergrau Metallic/CSL bucket seats
                              Build Thread:
                              https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...e46-m3-journal

Comment

Working...
                              X