Shifter lever replacement questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shifter lever replacement questions

When searching Google/Youtube people are mainly pulling the shifter out to replace with a short shifter, I'm trying to just change the 330d to a 545i shifter. How do I get the c-clip back on once I remove it? Is the c-clip accessible from the underside without having to remove the section 1 exhaust? I can't see it from the topside without moving the shifter towards the left. I don't feel like I could blindly use pliers from the topside as there isn't a lot of room.

Second question, is the boot supposed to be difficult to remove and insert? I ended up cutting my hands up and just got frustrated and cut it with a box cutter. I ordered a new one, but in the meantime I practiced replacing the torn one and I can't get it to fit back in without it bunching up on one edge (shown in the last photo).

Thank you for any advice!

Last edited by Circa Surviven; 05-22-2020, 04:05 PM.
    Garage:
    2002 BMW M3: Slicktop jetblack/cinnamon. SMG to 6-speed. Arc-8's. Koni yellows/Dinan springs. Macht elbow. Megan headers. Stock section 1+AR20. SCZA section 3.
    1998 Mercedes E300 Turbodiesel: Pizza bag warmer.

for the boot, its def a pain, but its very doable

for the clip, it was hard enough with the exhaust removed for me, though i have bigger hands. I had a hell of a time getting it back together. I think youre better off getting all the room you can, although it meant i had to remove the heat shield as well to access from below.

Comment

Originally posted by Kcalhoun27 View Post
      for the boot, its def a pain, but its very doable

for the clip, it was hard enough with the exhaust removed for me, though i have bigger hands. I had a hell of a time getting it back together. I think youre better off getting all the room you can, although it meant i had to remove the heat shield as well to access from below.
      Were you able to use your hand to install the clip, or do you have to attach it with some pliers or other tool? Does the heat shield removal require the section 2 to be dropped as well as the section 1? Thanks!
      Garage:
      2002 BMW M3: Slicktop jetblack/cinnamon. SMG to 6-speed. Arc-8's. Koni yellows/Dinan springs. Macht elbow. Megan headers. Stock section 1+AR20. SCZA section 3.
      1998 Mercedes E300 Turbodiesel: Pizza bag warmer.

Comment

Originally posted by Circa Surviven View Post
        Were you able to use your hand to install the clip, or do you have to attach it with some pliers or other tool?
        When I installed my 330d shifter, I couldn't get the clip on with both yellow washers in place. Can't remember if I ended up removing one or both. It's definitely doable without removing anything, but it's a pain. I actually managed to do it from the top once, would not recommend.

Does the heat shield removal require the section 2 to be dropped as well as the section 1? Thanks!
        Yes. And yes you have to remove the subframe v brace to get section 2 off.

Also, was your car originally smg (edit: nevermind just saw your signature)? I'm assuming yes because of those rivets holding the shifter bushing carrier. That's probably why you're having trouble getting the rubber boot seated, as the tunnel is effectively twice as thick as it should be. There's an arrow that should be pointed forward when installing, maybe that helps. Also, you should lube the new boot up with something where it slides along the shifter shaft before reinstalling. I found it impossible to get it on otherwise.
        2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Were you able to use your hand to install the clip, or do you have to attach it with some pliers or other tool? Does the heat shield removal require the section 2 to be dropped as well as the section 1? Thanks!
          Yes i used my hands and it was tight but doable. Once i got it firmly in place, i used a flathead to seat it. I did not remove sec 2 to remove the heatshield, i removed the heatshield fasteners and then kind of slid it out of the way to work around it. I did have to bend a corner a bit but it bent right back. I am not concerned with that part personally, but if you are, drop sec 2 and pull the shield completely. Its a tight fit, but it is absolutely worth it. The shifter is a joy to use after this and i dont have any of the sloppiness any longer

Comment

Working...
          X