Where's your IAT? (CSL guys)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where's your IAT? (CSL guys)

So I couldn't help but notice that the IAT is even closer to the enigne with the CSL airbox than it was with the stock box.
    For those of you with a CSL box and a relocated sensor, where are you mounting them? Also what are you using to plug the hole in the airbox for the IAT?

I did this last night just because, but this is not a permanent solution, especially if I wire the flap which I plan on doing. Also the sensor sitting there probably "dirtys up" the air flow to the intakes. I was thinking down towards the bottom of the snorkel would be a good spot if I can make it look nice.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200524_165319.jpg Views:	0 Size:	113.5 KB ID:	28178
    2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
    Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
    Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
    RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
    Instagram

The standard position in front of the intake works perfectly fine. It's kept protected behind the filter. Having it in the unfiltered section, like Streamline has, could eventually damage the sensor with the amount of rocks and debris that get caught at the back end of the filter. The E36 Beru sensor that Evolve uses seems to be better suited for mounting outside the filtered section.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/air...RoCCWsQAvD_BwE

I'd just use the OE sensor in its designed location since you already have it.

Comment

So heat soak may or may not be such a big deal? I was lead to believe timing will indeed be pulled once the engine is at operating temp.

Instagram

Comment

Reading between 10-15f above ambient at speed. No snorkel for now. Do have those scoops behind the grills and Eventuri bumper scoop. IAT is in the red section. Constantly reading temps through the app.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	F491FECC-02DE-4FE5-9B19-659553BC5A08.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	431.0 KB ID:	28223
        Last edited by COVID-19; 05-25-2020, 10:22 AM.
        06 ZCP SMG | HTE CSL MAP QuaranTune | SL CSL Airbox | Eventuri Scoop | DMG Strut Bar | RE El Diablo | CPI Euro200R | AP Headers | Porsche BBK | ST XTA | TMS 3-Pulleys/F-Sway/Mono FCAB | AKG Trans/diff/Subframe/RTAB | SPL RCA | SGT SCZA Trunk | ACL | Beisan | Redish | AFD E85 |

Budget CSL MAP Conversion

Comment

I wonder if this sensor would work with the CSL sw, does it have the same scaling?

I need to start datalogging, what app are you using COVID? I've got one of those plug in OBD deals and the torque app. That would be easier than using my laptop.

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
            I wonder if this sensor would work with the CSL sw, does it have the same scaling?

No you have to switch it to the US spec on ecuworx
            06 ZCP SMG | HTE CSL MAP QuaranTune | SL CSL Airbox | Eventuri Scoop | DMG Strut Bar | RE El Diablo | CPI Euro200R | AP Headers | Porsche BBK | ST XTA | TMS 3-Pulleys/F-Sway/Mono FCAB | AKG Trans/diff/Subframe/RTAB | SPL RCA | SGT SCZA Trunk | ACL | Beisan | Redish | AFD E85 |

Budget CSL MAP Conversion

Comment

Gotcha

Instagram

Comment

What makes you think the sensor is heat soaking? Mine is in the stock location, and it stays within 2-3 degrees of ambient when I'm in motion. When I'm not in motion it goes up, but that's because the actually intake temps are going up...

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                2012 LMB/Black 128i
                2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                  What makes you think the sensor is heat soaking? Mine is in the stock location, and it stays within 2-3 degrees of ambient when I'm in motion. When I'm in motion it goes up, but that's because the actually intake temps are going up...
                  I don't know to a certainty as I have not looked at the data from my vehicle. Just from reading here and there I have seen relocating is done for that reason.
                  I put the sensor back where it belongs and ordered a Beru sensor that looks like its better suited for relocation as Slideways noted.
                  I'll check the numbers stock/relocated when I get it and report back.

Instagram

Comment

I don't know to a certainty as I have not looked at the data from my vehicle. Just from reading here and there I have seen relocating is done for that reason.
                    I put the sensor back where it belongs and ordered a Beru sensor that looks like its better suited for relocation as Slideways noted.
                    I'll check the numbers stock/relocated when I get it and report back.
                    Normally stock airbox owners need to relocate the sensor— not csl.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                    2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Normally stock airbox owners need to relocate the sensor— not csl.
                      But with the CSL box your IAT is 2" from the oil filter housing, whereas the stock box has is much further away from the engine.

Instagram

Comment

But with the CSL box your IAT is 2" from the oil filter housing, whereas the stock box has is much further away from the engine.
                        The MAF sensor itself (which measures IATs) heat soaks on the stock box. The IAT sensor used on the CSL box does not. It’s a sensor issue, not a location issue.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

You need to place ur iat sensor in your intake tract. The closer it is to your intake charge without heat soaking it the better as it will help make ur fueling consistent. Too cold and the ecu dumps a bunsh of fuel and it runs rich. Too hot and it runs lean and it's a sad day.
                          385.7whp 288.8 wtq :
                          -CSL airbox ( custom)
                          -280 272 Cat cams
                          -Custom SSV2, modified for a bigger collector
                          -Custom Section 1 2 and 3: oversized to 2.5 inch and en E9xM Xpipe
                          -TMS pullies
                          -Electric Fan
                          -HTE performance Tune :P

PM for performance Tunes

IG: https://www.instagram.com/hte_performance_tuning/

Comment

I drilled a hole in the intake piping (behind the one hole CSL bumper - a little upstream out of site). It's calcing the cold air from down low

Comment

The MAF sensor itself (which measures IATs) heat soaks on the stock box. The IAT sensor used on the CSL box does not. It’s a sensor issue, not a location issue.
                              Mine heatsoaks pretty badly.

Comment

Working...
                              X