SMG to 6MT Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LuLu View Post

1. I have a 04 M3 manual, with 4th gear syncro on it's way out I think. When engaging gear you feel a click and when clutch is released it grinds.
    2. Well I have bought a smg gearbox so I am sure synchros are good, and wanted to swap bell housing. Taking the manual one and putting it on the smg one. Should I be careful?
    1. It seem the slider teeth, not the synchro, that has worn teeth and couldn't engage to the synchro deep enough, and it popped back out under load (clutch disk engaged). Someone missed a shift at high rpm to cause this.
    2. Don't swap the bell housing from the manual to the SMG to avoid the big headache of damaging input shaft bearing and the noise, and cannot buy the replacement bearing. Machine the bell housing is the proper way to do. If you still want to swap the bell housing, then measure the bearing clearance carefully and use correct shim to have the proper bearing preload. Don't crush the balls.

Comment

Ive always wondered how many guys actually experience this issue when using a donor BH... I did the BH conversion in my garage just to challenge myself and done 5 more for others since.... but Ive never heard of anyone actually having issues with slapping on a donor converted BH.

Comment

I wanted to add this for those who installed a GPS and having difficulty with cruise control. I found a video that explains it very well. I’m also providing instructions here. I know you don’t need the GPS, but if you installed one here’s how to get it working.

1. Remove SMG computer module and make sure the battery is disconnected.
        2. Disconnect the temp sensor locatated toward the front bottom of the transmission. This will become the Gear Position Switch connector. You will not be able to connect it without trimming the guide off of the GPS. I used a dremel tool for this.

3. Connect a jumper wire between the two terminals on the temp sensor wire. We will use this to help identify the correct wires in the DME area.

4. locate the X53004 SMG connector. It's the second connector when looking at the SMG moudle from the front. Now locate Pin pin 13 on X53004 and remove it from the connector. Now locate pin 31 on X53004 this is going to be connected to a number of brown wires. clip off the yellow connector joining the brown wires togeather.

5 Now you will need a multimeter or something that will help identify continuity between pin 13 and the brown wires. Set your meter to an audiable tone so you can hear when you have found the correct brown wire. Connect one end of the meter to the pin 13 wire. Now test each brown wire for continuity. Once found, you have idenified the two wires going to the temp sensor. Pin 13 and one of the brown wires.

5. Remove the jumper wire on the temp sensor and connect it to the GPS.
        6. Connect pin 13 the DME X60002 pin 20. Pin 20 is empty.
        7. Connect the brown wire to pin 2 on the clutch switch​.

These changes are NOT needed to be made to the DME .bin file Other DME changes are needed. I won’t go into details on coding, other threads cove this subject very well.
        DME Variant​ Parameter​ Location​ Default​ Modified​
        MSS54​ K_SKRAFTS_CONTROL​ 0x4028​ 0x01​ 0x02​
        MSS54HP​ K_SKRAFTS_CONTROL​ 0x802A​ 0x01​ 0x02​
        MSS54​ K_S_GANG_LL_ED​ 0x35DA​ 0x0032​ 0xFFFF​
        MSS54HP​ K_S_GANG_LL_ED​ 0x5952​ 0x0032​ 0xFFFF​
        MSS54​ K_MD_MIN_VERH_KRAFTS​ 0x67E0​ 0x80​ 0xA0​
        MSS54HP​ K_MD_MIN_VERH_KRAFTS​ 0x88A2​ 0x80​ 0xA0​

Link to video:

This worked well on my 2002 M3.

Comment

Hey guys I have an issue with my manual swap. When going into reverse it would pop out. But going to first then reverse it will go in sometimes.

I read it could be a compression spring or maybe the diff plugs too tight against the detent springs? Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

the detents are only there to keep the shifter centered. The springs are there to differentiate Reverse (heavy spring) with 5/6 (light spring). They don't "hold" the gear in. If your gear is popping out, that might be a syncro issue.

Comment

For those of you who have had your SMG converted to manual (particularly at 120k+ miles), how do the shifts and syncos feel, mainly 2nd, 3rd and 4th?

Comment

Hey everyone, anyone have a solution or alternative to the clutch switch 61319122700?​

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60motorsports View Post
                  Hey everyone, anyone have a solution or alternative to the clutch switch 61319122700?​
                  61319122701 euro spec switch works just fine, used that one on my car.

Comment

Originally posted by PipeUy View Post

61319122701 euro spec switch works just fine, used that one on my car.
                    Awesome! Thank you.

Comment

I believe thats the Green one "701" and Brown is "700". Both work

Comment

Anyone do a swap recent enough to know what cost is now for all parts?

Comment

Originally posted by supersan View Post
                          Anyone do a swap recent enough to know what cost is now for all parts?
                          I just went through an exercise of adding up most of the parts for doing a conversion with an Auto Solutions AX shifter and new OEM clutch. Includes new springs in the rear section to refurb the trans a bit. Does not include machining the bell housing.

I came up with about $2700.

AMS sells the conversion parts with stock everything for $2000.

Comment

Originally posted by nahvkolaj View Post

I just went through an exercise of adding up most of the parts for doing a conversion with an Auto Solutions AX shifter and new OEM clutch. Includes new springs in the rear section to refurb the trans a bit. Does not include machining the bell housing.

I came up with about $2700.

AMS sells the conversion parts with stock everything for $2000.
                            I know Lang Racing does the machining as well and I'm sure prices have changed a bit there. Appreciate the info though. I'm trying to decide if it's the right move before selling

Comment

Originally posted by supersan View Post

I know Lang Racing does the machining as well and I'm sure prices have changed a bit there. Appreciate the info though. I'm trying to decide if it's the right move before selling
                              Ive done over 10 modifications this year alone and more to come... not sure where you are, im in Ontario Canada

Comment

i just finished the conversion and coded the car myself. Everything seems to be working well. Just wanted to mentioned I originally tried to use clutch switch #35426876898 but cruise control wasn't working as everyone mentioned by others. So, i ordered clutch switch 61319122700 from the dealer and everything is working now.

Comment

Working...
                                X